Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O-Line
(04-29-2018, 01:03 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I am comfortable with the line of Glenn-Boling-Price-Westerman/Redmond-Fisher. The weakness on this line is the right side and it may become more glaring as the season goes on. It also may be that they improve and become very good. I know it was only a few games and I hate using such a small sample size, but I thought both Westerman and Redmond showed well last year. That said, the left side is solid and as a whole, the unit better now than it was last year. If Fisher struggles, we can help him with a TE and back. I can roll with that.

Now give Atkins and Dunlap their extensions, and this offseason would be considered successful

Based on the draft and Marvin's words in the pressers, it really looks like this is pretty much how Marvin feels too.

Very few teams are rock solid at every position on the line.  Like you said, four out of five can be dealt with and four out of five is worlds ahead of last year's team that till managed to win seven games.  And who knows, maybe somebody steps up at RT.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Boling play LT at GA with Glenn lining up to his immediate right?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 03:05 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Boling play LT at GA with Glenn lining up to his immediate right?

You are correct.  Weird, huh?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 01:35 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: He's playing with house money on Ogbuehi and he will give him a fair chance to see if he can be a decent backup. To be honest with you, I see Pollack has having Ogbuehi there as competition for Hart and Perkins for a backup role. Based on what I know about Hart, we are lucky to have Ogbuehi (yes, I threw up in my mouth typing that). I just hope that if Pollack sees no improvement in Ogbuehi, they let him go before the season starts. 

Can you imagine if Pollack turns Ogbuehi into even an average player? He'd be Coach of the Year.

Quick draft story involving Hart.  At the gym yesterday, another guy and i stopped in front of the TV to catch up on picks.  Turns out he is a Giants fan.  I asked him about Hart?  He just smiled and told me he was sorry to learn that Hart was on my team..  He went on to say most Giants fans that he knew were glad to see him gone.

Take that for what it's worth.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We have several tackles on the team now. Sadly, only one of them has proven himself to be good while the remainder are either proven failures or unproven.

I believe the best move with Boling is to leave him at LG and have him be the backup LT. We have no one else who can legitimately play LT should Glenn be unavailable to play. No body wants girly boy to have to step in.

A starting line up of Glenn LT, Boling LG, Price C and Westerman RG is a solid starting line and leaves RT as the question mark. Let Hart, Fisher and girly boy compete for time at RT.

Reply/Quote
I'm curious if Hopkins could play RT...
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 06:02 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'm curious if Hopkins could play RT...

Doubtful.  His rather brief Draft Profile said things like short stepper, lacks lateral movement, not a knee bender.  Although, at 6'3" he does have almost 35" long arms.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If Redmond and Westerman both look like good starters, I'd think that you'd have to consider moving Boling to RT.  I get what people are saying with fixing something that isn't broken by moving him, but a huge gaping hole at RT might be worse than having to downgrade the LG spot a little.  There's also the issue that if Boling can suddenly play tackle at a high level, he gets paid like a tackle for putting that on film.  

The best case scenario would be for Fisher to pan out and play at a competent level with no health issues.  
Reply/Quote
Easy
If you want the best 5 on the line someone has to switch to tackle maybe that's Redmond or the new guy. So let's just say boling westerman price Redmond new guy forget the name already
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 03:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Quick draft story involving Hart.  At the gym yesterday, another guy and i stopped in front of the TV to catch up on picks.  Turns out he is a Giants fan.  I asked him about Hart?  He just smiled and told me he was sorry to learn that Hart was on my team..  He went on to say most Giants fans that he knew were glad to see him gone.

Take that for what it's worth.

That's exactly what I've heard from my friends/family who are all Giants fans. They can't stand the guy because of his attitude and can't believe that for someone who isn't considered very good, why the hell does he have the attitude he has? 

Funniest thing one of them said was that Hart was so bad that not only will he end up getting Dalton killed, but he'd get the medical staff tending to Dalton injured as well. I don't know, I thought it was funny the way he said it. 
Reply/Quote
Perhaps working with coach Pollack Kent Perkins could have a breakout year. He is a big strong OT. Another option, rookie Rod Taylor.
Reply/Quote