Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
O-line ranked 15th
According to that site Hopkins hasn’t allowed a pressure in 3 games. Huge reason we’re winning again (along with Adeniji).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
From the site in the OP:

Through 12 weeks of 2021, the Bengals offensive line as a unit ranks...

8th in pressure rate allowed - 21.6%
14th (tie) in sacks allowed - 14
32nd in tackles for loss allowed - 21
8th in penalties - 18
24th (tie) in yards per carry before contact - 2.2

Here are some rankings for individual players, per their respective positions (generalized as tackles, guards, and centers):

Riley Reiff

30th in pressure rate allowed - 5.03%
Sacks allowed - 3 (about average)
Tackles for loss allowed - 3 (slightly worse than average)
Penalties - 2 (better than average)

Jonah Williams

38th in pressure rate allowed - 5.39%
Sacks allowed - 5 (slightly worse than average)
Tackles for loss allowed - 5.5 (league worst)
Penalties - 2 (better than average)

Quinton Spain

12th in pressure rate allowed - 2.95%
Sacks allowed - 3 (slightly worse than average)
Tackles for loss allowed - 1.5 (slightly better than average)
Penalties - 3 (average)

Jackson Carman

39th in pressure rate allowed - 5.15%
Sacks allowed - 0 (optimal)
Tackles for loss allowed - 2.5 (slightly worse than average)
Penalties - 3 (average)

Trey Hopkins

12th in pressure rate allowed - 2.75%
Sacks allowed - 3 (worse than average)
Tackles for loss allowed - 6.5 (league worst)
Penalties - 3 (average)

They don't appear to have individual data for Sua-Filo, D'ante Smith, or Adeniji yet.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 09:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I have no idea how the Steelers OL is graded higher than the Bengals then. That seems downright silly. They’re awful.

Yeah, it’s using PFF and ESPN win rate which I’m not a huge fan of for OL metrics, but there aren’t many other options.
Reply/Quote
Lap breaking down a few plays vs the Steelers.

Reply/Quote
Seems like the dumpster fire has been finally put out.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 08:12 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: There are many metrics to use here but I will use Yards Per Play for both.

Bucs - 7th on Offense, 6th on defense

Chiefs - 2nd on Offense, 16th on defense

Patriots - 8th on offense, 22nd on defense

Eagles - 9th on offense, 9th on defense

Patriots - 5th on offense, 10th on defense

Broncos - 18th on offense, 1st on defense

Patriots - 12th on offense, 12th on defense

Seahawks - 9th on offense, 1st on defense

Ravens - 16th on offense, 12th on defense

Giants - 11th on offense, 25th on defense

Interesting, as long as one is on the top 10, there's a good chance.    Tiger
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 09:56 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: and D'Ante Smith, the rookie who was having a great camp and competing for a role. Maybe the Bengals found out how to draft olineman again.  Oh and Jonah 

True, loved how D'Ante was playing before he got hurt. Drafting and of course Pollack's coaching are working well right now.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 09:58 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: From the site in the OP:

Through 12 weeks of 2021, the Bengals offensive line as a unit ranks...

8th in pressure rate allowed - 21.6%
14th (tie) in sacks allowed - 14
32nd in tackles for loss allowed - 21
8th in penalties - 18
24th (tie) in yards per carry before contact - 2.2

FootballOutsiders has a metric called "adjusted line yards" to grade O-lines' run blocking.  It is a "yards per carry" formula but there is a bigger penalty for runs plays of zero or negative yards and there is much less credit for yards gained 10+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage.  Bengals rank 8th best.
Reply/Quote
This OL is obviously better at run blocking,than pass blocking,but they’re getting better at both.As long as they can keep setting up those nice holes for Mixon to run through,this team will be very hard to beat going forward.
Reply/Quote
I wanted us to draft Sowell, but I have always said that with our skill players we do not need an elite O-line.

Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to have an elite O-line.  But this offense can be very effective with just an average O-line. (12th to 20th)

Last year was just a complete train wreck.  We did not have top talent to begin with then we ended up starting ELEVEN different players in about 12 different combinations.  Shaq Calhoun STARTED for us last year.  Even if Pollack had been here last year it would not have mattered.  Our o-line was just nuked by injuries and bad players.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 01:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I wanted us to draft Sowell, but I have always said that with our skill players we do not need an elite O-line.

Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to have an elite O-line.  But this offense can be very effective with just an average O-line. (12th to 20th)

Last year was just a complete train wreck.  We did not have top talent to begin with then we ended up starting ELEVEN different players in about 12 different combinations.  Shaq Calhoun STARTED for us last year.  Even if Pollack had been here last year it would not have mattered.  Our o-line was just nuked by injuries and bad players.

The injuries were a problem to be sure, but a BIG issue was Turner's horrid coaching. Not just no real scheme taught but the toxic atmosphere and no teaching of good technique - remember multiple sources (including Munoz and Walter) callout the terrible footwork and hand work. Pollack may not have been able to get decency out of the mess but it would not have been as disastrous. 
Reply/Quote
I said all off-season if our oline can just be AVERAGE we will be an elite offense. Seems to be the case I really hope they keep it up! Another thing I love about Pollak is that he brings in that extra tackle a lot which is great for getting our backups some playing time. Prince, Carman, XSF all have experience which you hope you don't need but you are glad to have it.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 01:37 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: This OL is obviously better at run blocking,than pass blocking,but they’re getting better at both.As long as they can keep setting up those nice holes for Mixon to run through,this team will be very hard to beat going forward.

What is nuts to me is my biggest concern on Offense this Offseason was going to be run blocking with Reiff and Spain being added
to Hopkins who were all known for their pass protection and not their run blocking much at all. Pollack clearly helped them all in this
aspect and is trying to get all his guys to be as versatile as possible.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 09:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The fact that the OL is inside the top 10 in pressures allowed does not make it a "cool site", as they are simply reporting the numbers as they stand.  What is pretty cool is how the team recognized the weakness, and brought back a capable OL coach to get them on an improvement plan.

And yes, it felt so damn good to watch Joe Mixon running that ball, seemingly at will, versus the much hated rival Steelers.

Only months ago many fans thought the Bengals were morons for picking a WR over an OT. I hope lesson learned, fans are not experts and looks like our current scouting team did an outstanding job with both the draft and adding key FA's.

I like the fact our OL is developing every game and I think we have some depth as well which be critical in case omeone gets hurt. Hopkins  seems to be recovering from major knee surgery and playing better every week. Hopefully Burro's knee is getting healthier and stronger every week as well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Burrow still getting sacked at a higher rate than he was last year. So if it is not the OL, then there's something wrong with Burrow's play. He does seem like he gets some preemptive happy feet and runs out of clean pockets and into pressure, or turns his back to the field, or just simply holds onto the ball too long rather than throwing it away.

7.3% sack rate last year, 8.1% this year. Assuming he keeps passing the same amount, he's on pace for 46-47 sacks this season. 10 of them in the last 3 games, 13 in the last 4.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 12:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Burrow still getting sacked at a higher rate than he was last year. So if it is not the OL, then there's something wrong with Burrow's play.

Last year he got sacked less often while dinking and dunking short passes.  This year he is getting sacked more often but throwing many more passes farther downfield.  Since the passing game is greatly improved I don't know if that means there is something "wrong" with Burrow's play.  

Last year Burrow had 4 completions of over 30 yards (2 of them short passes in air) and 23 of 20+ yds.  This year he has 17 completions over 30 yards (only 5 short passes in air) and 35 completions of 20+ yds.

................................'20......'21
Yds/comp.................10.2...12.1
Net yds/att............... 5.6...  7.1 (pass yds-sack yds/pass att + sacks)

Ben Roethlisberger and Russell are going to the Hallof Fame and they both take a lot of sacks because they hold onto the ball too long.  It is a trade off that works, but only with certain QBs.  I have not seen the numbers on Burrow recently, but when he got sacked 10 times in the first 5 games he had 3 seconds to throw the ball on every one.
Reply/Quote
Sure seems like the anti Pollack fanclub
Has been silenced.
His hiring is the best move this front office made
In the offseason. It cant be undervalued.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year he got sacked less often while dinking and dunking short passes.  This year he is getting sacked more often but throwing many more passes farther downfield.  Since the passing game is greatly improved I don't know if that means there is something "wrong" with Burrow's play.  

Last year Burrow had 4 completions of over 30 yards (2 of them short passes in air) and 23 of 20+ yds.  This year he has 17 completions over 30 yards (only 5 short passes in air) and 35 completions of 20+ yds.

................................'20......'21
Yds/comp.................10.2...12.1
Net yds/att............... 5.6...  7.1 (pass yds-sack yds/pass att + sacks)

Ben Roethlisberger and Russell are going to the Hallof Fame and they both take a lot of sacks because they hold onto the ball too long.  It is a trade off that works, but only with certain QBs.  I have not seen the numbers on Burrow recently, but when he got sacked 10 times in the first 5 games he had 3 seconds to throw the ball on every one.

Believe the same and we were at a record pace for sacks early in the year and this has died down quite a bit as the year has
went on and the OL gaining chemistry. Expect this to continue and for the sack number to continually go down by season's end.

It isn't going to get worse unless injuries happen exponentially. 
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 12:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Only months ago many fans thought the Bengals were morons for picking a WR over an OT. I hope lesson learned, fans are not experts and looks like our current scouting team did an outstanding job with both the draft and adding key FA's.

I like the fact our OL is developing every game and I think we have some depth as well which be critical in case omeone gets hurt. Hopkins  seems to be recovering from major knee surgery and playing better every week. Hopefully Burro's knee is getting healthier and stronger every week as well.

Gee, way to let a polarizing debate die quietly..   Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
As we discussed on this board even before this season started,this OL is the one thing that might hold this team back from making a playoff run.We felt good about all other aspects of this team,at least most of us.Now this OL is definitely coming together.We wish,of course,that it would have happened sooner,but here we are,with an OL that appears to be coming to fruition.All of Frank’s dedication and hard work of continually teaching and pushing these guys is paying off.

The skies the limit.If this OL continues to improve,this team should definitely make the playoffs,and win the division.
Reply/Quote