Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O line struggeling
(08-11-2017, 09:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't think it is a huge stretch at all given his performance at Bama and his mountainous size and strength.  And I think you are getting a little lost on the plan that I, and it would appear Jax, would have for Cam.  He competes at LT with Ced, either Ced improves and wins the job (we win) or Cam is BETTER and he wins the job...either way, the LT is better.  The move to RG would be in case Ced wins the job, and I do believe he could start right away at RG.  

And the "sacrifice" of  RB, DE, or WR would be because we have quite a few of them, and not ANY competition for Ced at LT and thus far (it's early) it appears that although he is bigger and stronger, he still is getting dusted.  

I guess my philosophy is just different.  One of the big reasons Og struggled last yeat is that he's never really had an NFL TC due to injury.  I want my starter to have as many 1st team reps as possible so they are as prepared as they possibly can be going into the season.  Having two young guys compete can possibly push one to a new level, but on the other side of the coin, whoever wins is going to not be as prepared as they could be due to splitting duties.  This is a big reason why QB competition rarely works out.

On Robinson as a player, I've just seen it too many times.  They put out these mammoth T's at 'bama that completely bust at the position in the NFL, then the teams that draft them try them at G to try and salvage something, and they blow there, too.  Some guys can switch sides relatively easily.  For example, Andre transitioned from LT in college to RT here, but that was his position all through camp.  On the other hand, there are guys like Whit who when a move to opposite side was discussed, made it sound like a tough transition.  Personally, I think that it is highly unlikely that Robinson can play a position he's never played before on a side he's never played before at a high level after spending most of TC and preseason working at a different position.  Plus, OL chemistry is very important and there are going to be struggles from that end plugging in Cam basically on the fly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 12:04 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: #70 already cost us one season , if he cost us a second this year is ship out of town.  Somewhere where Lawson could tee off twice a year.

Og sucked last year, but honestly, we still probably could have made the playoffs with a competent K and if the D hadn't underachieved the first half of the season.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 12:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: I guess my philosophy is just different.  One of the big reasons Og struggled last yeat is that he's never really had an NFL TC due to injury.  I want my starter to have as many 1st team reps as possible so they are as prepared as they possibly can be going into the season.  Having two young guys compete can possibly push one to a new level, but on the other side of the coin, whoever wins is going to not be as prepared as they could be due to splitting duties.  This is a big reason why QB competition rarely works out.

On Robinson as a player, I've just seen it too many times.  They put out these mammoth T's at 'bama that completely bust at the position in the NFL, then the teams that draft them try them at G to try and salvage something, and they blow there, too.  Some guys can switch sides relatively easily.  For example, Andre transitioned from LT in college to RT here, but that was his position all through camp.  On the other hand, there are guys like Whit who when a move to opposite side was discussed, made it sound like a tough transition.  Personally, I think that it is highly unlikely that Robinson can play a position he's never played before on a side he's never played before at a high level after spending most of TC and preseason working at a different position.  Plus, OL chemistry is very important and there are going to be struggles from that end plugging in Cam basically on the fly.

Great points here. Chemistry is one of if not the biggest deals in an O-line struggling or playing well.

Og needs all the snaps he can get right now and we just hope it starts to click sometime between now and the 3rd regular season game when we have to play the best Defense in the NFL besides ours in the Texans. Should be one low scoring game that the team with the least mistakes ends up taking.

Cam Robinson struggling right now just proves your point again about Bama O-lineman. Wouldn't of done what SHRacer says now in hindsight but i was for it before the draft. Just hope it all plays out for the best for our Bengals.
Reply/Quote
This line is going to be shredded tonight.

Not that anything will come of it - but it will happen.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 12:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: I guess my philosophy is just different.  One of the big reasons Og struggled last yeat is that he's never really had an NFL TC due to injury.  I want my starter to have as many 1st team reps as possible so they are as prepared as they possibly can be going into the season.  Having two young guys compete can possibly push one to a new level, but on the other side of the coin, whoever wins is going to not be as prepared as they could be due to splitting duties.  This is a big reason why QB competition rarely works out.

Supposedly Og's issues aren't with technique...but are with core strength.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 01:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Supposedly Og's issues aren't with technique...but are with core strength.

And he is supposedly a lot stronger this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 01:12 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: This line is going to be shredded tonight.

Not that anything will come of it - but it will happen.

Why is it going to be shredded? It's a preseason game. It doesn't matter if they play amazing or if they play like shit. It's not going to tell us how well they will play in the regular season.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 01:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Supposedly Og's issues aren't with technique...but are with core strength.

I hope that's true, because that can be fixed.  However, I thought it was also his attitude and lack of mental toughness.  However, I can't remember where I read that.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure #70 is salvageable. He doesn't have the base to be an NFL lineman . The only year he played left tackle was his senior year in college, after giving up 8 sacks he got switched to the right side. The guy looks soft as hell was well , so keep making excuses for the guy. He's just not very good.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 04:37 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I hope that's true, because that can be fixed.  However, I thought it was also his attitude and lack of mental toughness.  However, I can't remember where I read that.

True, you probably read that from Lapham last season cause it is also true at times it seemed like he wasn't even trying.

Good thing Lap has been praising Og so far this year. Like i said, might not be as bad as some think.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 04:56 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I'm not sure #70 is salvageable.   He doesn't have the base to be an NFL lineman .  The only year he played left tackle was his senior year in college,  after giving up 8 sacks he got switched to the right side.  The guy looks soft as hell was well , so keep making excuses for the guy. He's just not very good.

I will admit you're right if he is just as bad at LT this year as he was at RT last year.

Until i see him fail like that i will hold out hope.

You have none, cool.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 04:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I will admit you're right if he is just as bad at LT this year as he was at RT last year.

Until i see him fail like that i will hold out hope.

You have none, cool.

You know what they say about hope in one hand...

Right?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 04:37 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I hope that's true, because that can be fixed.  However, I thought it was also his attitude and lack of mental toughness.  However, I can't remember where I read that.

I haven't heard anything negative about his attitude.   I have heard he just is not strong enough (and there are some forms of strength that just cannot be increased in a person - for example there's "country strong" and "workout warrior strong" - the latter typically not as functional). 

The other issue I've wondered about is if he is smart enough and, as you put it, mentally tough enough.

We are about to find out.  And though I personally am pessimistic, he may start off poorly and improve throughout the season.   But that was not the case last year.

Hopefully my pessimism will not be validated.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 05:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You know what they say about hope in one hand...

Right?

Hope is also the thing that makes life worth living.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 05:06 PM)McC Wrote: Hope is also the thing that makes life worth living.

Hope is an empty promise.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 05:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You know what they say about hope in one hand...

Right?

Of course, i just prefer it over constant bitching about something you have no proof of this year yet...

(08-11-2017, 05:05 PM)3wt Wrote: I haven't heard anything negative about his attitude.   I have heard he just is not strong enough (and there are some forms of strength that just cannot be increased in a person - for example there's "country strong" and "workout warrior strong" - the latter typically not as functional). 

The other issue I've wondered about is if he is smart enough and, as you put it, mentally tough enough.

We are about to find out.  And though I personally am pessimistic, he may start off poorly and improve throughout the season.   But that was not the case last year.

Hopefully my pessimism will not be validated.

The attitude was more about him giving up before the play was even over last year.

Lap mentioned this as did many on here. Play through the whistle man.

Lap has says he looks much better so far this year but we will know nothing till tonight, then we will know a little
more about the Og and O-line situation as a whole. Still early though and i expect some struggles early just like you.

But having a whole Offseason to work should help, unfair to say he is a bust till he got this IMHO.

(08-11-2017, 05:06 PM)McC Wrote: Hope is also the thing that makes life worth living.

Damn rights brother. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 05:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Of course, i just prefer it over constant bitching about something you have no proof of this year yet...

Constant bitching, constant hoping... meh, it's all something with no proof.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 05:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Constant bitching, constant hoping... meh, it's all something with no proof.

True, but there is hope for one and not the other lol
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 05:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Hope is an empty promise.

Not even close.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I hope I win the lottery too. But I realized probably won't happen so I'll just keep going to work every day
Reply/Quote