Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OC Brian Callahan interview with Locked on Bengals Podcast
Jake Liscow from Locked on Bengals did an interview with Bengals OC Brian Callahan. They have been splitting it up into 3 parts the first is coaching life of and coaching roots but the second talks about who they are looking for in a wide receiver and the run scheme in 2020 and in the future.

Here is a link to where you can hear the second part of the interview.

https://linktr.ee/LockedOnBengals
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 12:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Jake Liscow from Locked on Bengals did an interview with Bengals OC Brian Callahan. They have been splitting it up into 3 parts the first is coaching life of and coaching roots but the second talks about who they are looking for in a wide receiver and the run scheme in 2020 and in the future.

Here is a link to where you can hear the second part of the interview.

https://linktr.ee/LockedOnBengals

If you're not wanting to select one of the options in that link and just have a direct link to the audio, here is an option that I am using - https://tunein.com/podcasts/Sports--Recreation-Podcasts/Locked-On-Bengals---Daily-Podcast-On-The-Cincinnat-p1015948/?topicId=160922532
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Some takeaways:
- Looking for a WR with some speed. Doesn't have to be 4.2 or something that fast, but not be a slow guy.
- Looking for a WR who can play outside and can win 1-on-1.
- Looking for OL who are 310+ lbs, 33+ inch arm length (ideally 34+) from a measurables perspective because of the division. Also looking for intelligence.
- Callahan likes OL who can move people off the ball.
- Team had been running inside zone predominantly in 2020. Hard to run that from shotgun. Wants to run a more varied scheme in 2021.
- Intent to start 2019 was to run a wide zone like Rams did, but it wasn't working. Had to try to adjust.
- Burrow was more comfortable running from shotgun, so team adjusted to fit that comfortability in 2020.
- Frank Pollack is one of the best wide zone teachers out there. Hope and expect Bengals to use more and be better at wide zone with Pollack added. More horizontal displacement in wide zone vs vertical push.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 12:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some takeaways:
- Looking for a WR with some speed. Doesn't have to be 4.2 or something that fast, but not be a slow guy.

- Looking for OL who are 310+ lbs, 33+ inch arm length (ideally 34+) from a measurables perspective because of the division. Also looking for intelligence.
- Team had been running inside zone predominantly in 2020. Hard to run that from shotgun. Wants to run a more varied scheme in 2021.
- Intent to start 2019 was to run a wide zone like Rams did, but it wasn't working. Had to try to adjust.
- Burrow was more comfortable running from shotgun, so team adjusted to fit that comfortability in 2020.
- Frank Pollack is one of the best wide zone teachers out there. Hope and expect Bengals to use more and be better at wide zone with Pollack added. More horizontal displacement in wide zone vs vertical push.

That's who in the draft?

Ja'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, Kadarius Toney, Nico Collins, Dyami Brown, Dwayne Eskridge, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, and Desmond Fitzpatrick 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 12:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some takeaways:

well most of those are pretty standard responses...

Do we have the personel to switch the a wide zone scheme? having the teacher is good but do we have the players than can do it.
Reply/Quote
I know some want us to grab a 1st round WR with #5 pick and if Sewell is gone, we may or if Pitts is there we may grab a TE. But here are the WR's who are free agents as of now, this does not include any cap casualty cuts to consider in FA, some spotrac has their esitmated market value also:

Name, Age and Market value per year. The market value in my opinion is OK for the studs, but I see the middle of the pack guys getting 10% less if the cap does indeed drops 10%. Keeping that in mind, anyone on the list you think could step in year #1 and possibly be a 1a with Higgins. I love Boyd, but think he is more of a #2 receiver who is great in the slot.

AJ Green (33) 6 million
TY Hilton (32) 10.2 million
Allan Robinson (28) 20.2 million
Sammy Watkins (28) 10.6 million
Marvin Jones (31) 10.5 million
Perriman (28) 8.9 million
Corey Davis (26) 9.8 million
Wil Fuller (27) 16.9 million
JuJu Smith -Schuster (25) 16.1 million
Nelson Aglohar (28) 9.7 million
Rashard Higgins (27) 6.1 million
Godwin (25) 17.1 million
Kenny Golladay (28) 17 million
Zach Pascal (27) 8.4 million
Adding Samuel - (25) 12.4 million
Others Conway - older, but still fast and likely around 2 million

Do you think the Bengals will bring in any of these guys for a look prior to the draft when FA starts 3/17?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 01:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know some want us to grab a 1st round WR with #5 pick and if Sewell is gone, we may or if Pitts is there we may grab a TE. But here are the WR's who are free agents as of now, this does not include any cap casualty cuts to consider in FA, some spotrac has their esitmated market value also:

Name, Age and Market value per year. The market value in my opinion is OK for the studs, but I see the middle of the pack guys getting 10% less if the cap does indeed drops 10%. Keeping that in mind, anyone on the list you think could step in year #1 and possibly be a 1a with Higgins. I love Boyd, but think he is more of a #2 receiver who is great in the slot.

AJ Green (33) 6 million

Godwin (25) 17.1 million

Do you think the Bengals will bring in any of these guys for a look prior to the draft when FA starts 3/17?

LOL to anyone who pays anywhere near that for those two.

Allen Robinson
Chris Godwin
Kenny Golladay

Are the only WRs this FA that are worth that kind of money. There's a pretty big drop after those three, but there's still a couple guys who are interesting at the 2nd tier of FA WRs (Marvin Jones, TY Hilton, Corey Davis). Honestly I think TY Hilton still has it left in him and he just had some physically limited QBing the last two years. I would gladly give him 2yr/$21m to find out, assuming Sewell is there at #5 instead of Chase.

I like Robinson, but I don't know if he's worth the same amount of money you could get TY Hilton or Marvin Jones + Hunter Henry with.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 01:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well most of those are pretty standard responses...

Do we have the personel to switch the a wide zone scheme? having the teacher is good but do we have the players than can do it.

Perhaps they do. Jonah, Hopkins, Adeniji, and maybe XSF probably have the necessary athleticism.
I'm expecting they'll look for athletic OL this offseason.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 01:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know some want us to grab a 1st round WR with #5 pick and if Sewell is gone, we may or if Pitts is there we may grab a TE. But here are the WR's who are free agents as of now, this does not include any cap casualty cuts to consider in FA, some spotrac has their esitmated market value also:

AJ Green (33) 6 million
Godwin (25) 17.1 million

I don;t think Aglohar will go for 10 million after a low 1/2 million contract,  I like to see us try to ink him to a 3 year 18-21 million.. he fits well into speed and winning 1 on 1. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 04:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t think Aglohar will go for 10 million after a low 1/2 million contract,  I like to see us try to ink him to a 3 year 18-21 million.. he fits well into speed and winning 1 on 1. 

Nelson Agholor struggled on the outside with the Eagles. The Raiders used him in the slot and tight formations to get the best play out of him. He really isnt a fit for what the Bengals need same with Josh Reynolds.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 04:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perhaps they do. Jonah, Hopkins, Adeniji, and maybe XSF probably have the necessary athleticism.

does the wide zone scheme help the Running back more?  our offense was kinda suppose to based on the play action but you gotta be able to run to do that.  Or is wide zone better for PAss Pro?
Reply/Quote
Fans get too carried away with the idea of O-linemen driving defensive players off the ball. Obviously the O-linemen have to be powerful enough to move D-linemen but they just have to move them sideways to create holes.

When you see a team averaging 5 yards a carry the O-linemen are not driving defensive linemen 5 yards down the field.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 05:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: does the wide zone scheme help the Running back more?  our offense was kinda suppose to based on the play action but you gotta be able to run to do that.  Or is wide zone better for PAss Pro?

Wide zone is run blocking.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 04:43 PM)Synric Wrote: Nelson Agholor struggled on the outside with the Eagles. The Raiders used him in the slot and tight formations to get the best play out of him. He really isnt a fit for what the Bengals need same with Josh Reynolds.

Nelson tends to be a speed guy that is good on deep pass which we could use for sure.. i don;t care if it is slot or outside.. getting done down the field is what matters.. had a great year at Raiders... avg almost 19 yards and catch and 8 TDs.. like I said he will be a nice buy if we can get him in the 6 to 8 million range
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 07:55 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Nelson tends to be a speed guy that is good on deep pass which we could use for sure.. i don;t care if it is slot or outside.. getting done down the field is what matters.. had a great year at Raiders... avg almost 19 yards and catch and 8 TDs.. like I said he will be a nice buy if we can get him in the 6 to 8 million range

If it came down to spending $6-8 mill on only one guy, I'd prefer it be on OL over a WR. But if they find they have enough spare change to spend that much on a WR while getting 1-2 really good OL upgrades and re-signing/tagging Lawson, go for it.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

AJ Green (33) 6 million
Godwin (25) 17.1 million

Plz take Will Fuller off your list.  He's been hurt more games than played and has a strong tendency to drop wide open balls in key situations.  Been following him here in Houston since he was drafted and he is absolutely damaged goods - literally.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 04:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perhaps they do. Jonah, Hopkins, Adeniji, and maybe XSF probably have the necessary athleticism.

RT Teven jenkins 6'6 320 is a mauler in the run game and gets to the 2nd level pretty easily. I bet he'll be in play in the 2nd if he is there. Has the strongest hands in the draft supposedly.
Reply/Quote

AJ Green (33) 6 million
Godwin (25) 17.1 million

I wouldn't mind bringing Marvin Jones back, as long as his contract reflected his age. He still has good speed and great hands.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 04:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t think Aglohar will go for 10 million after a low 1/2 million contract,  I like to see us try to ink him to a 3 year 18-21 million.. he fits well into speed and winning 1 on 1. 

This is actually a great idea.  He'd be ideal on the outside if he's in that range.  
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 08:00 PM)Stewy Wrote:
Plz take Will Fuller off your list.
  He's been hurt more games than played and has a strong tendency to drop wide open balls in key situations.  Been following him here in Houston since he was drafted and he is absolutely damaged goods - literally.

I think you misread my OP. I simply listed players available as of now in FA, this in not my list.
Then, I asked for thoughts on who fans like.

We got it, you want to remove Fuller from YOUR LIST!

Who would you like if any off the list of available FA's?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote