Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OC Callahan apparently was not aware that we were going to waive Shaq Calhoun
This is just pathetic. How does the OC not know when a player in one of his units is about to be waived? This coaching staff is so disorganized and segmented that they can't even communicate basic things like roster moves to each other? And, as a result, making each other look foolish during interviews...

Quote:Offensive coordinator Brian Callahan was on a conference call with reporters going over the options at the problem spot of right guard when he was asked about Shaq Calhoun, a second-year player the Bengals claimed off waivers from the Dolphins earlier this month.

Just as Callahan was finishing his comments on Calhoun, saying what he likes about him and how he’s in the mix, the Bengals sent out a press release that they had waived him.

“Apparently you just waived him,” a reporter informed Callahan.

“Did we? There’s your answer,” a bemused Callahan said. “Is there anybody else out there getting released that I didn’t know about?”

https://theathletic.com/2100642/2020/09/28/assessing-the-bengals-options-at-right-guard-after-another-joe-burrow-beating/

I would be so embarrassed to be a part of this front office and coaching staff...
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:08 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This is just pathetic. How does the OC not know when a player in one of his units is about to be waived? This coaching staff is so disorganized and segmented that they can't even communicate basic things like roster moves to each other? And, as a result, making each other look foolish during interviews...

https://theathletic.com/2100642/2020/09/28/assessing-the-bengals-options-at-right-guard-after-another-joe-burrow-beating/

I would be so embarrassed to be a part of this front office and coaching staff...

He was literally released minutes before that question. Minutes.

It's not like he was released 5 hours prior and then he just found out about it.

The amount of nitpicky toxicity the past few days is starting to turn into what this place was last year...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:11 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He was literally released minutes before that question. Minutes.

It's not like he was released 5 hours prior and then he just found out about it.

The amount of nitpicky toxicity the past few days is starting to turn into what this place was last year...

You're missing my point.

It doesn't matter how many minutes or hours a player was released before the question. I'm not saying Callahan was stupid for not checking his phone and seeing the press release.

I'm saying he should have known prior to the press release and he should have had a hand in the decision to waive Calhoun. He is the offensive coordinator. He is not some low level assistant. In theory, every decision about the offensive roster should run through him.

So how in God's name did he not know that Calhoun was being released that day? He should have known Calhoun was being released hours if not days before the press release went out. But he was completely unaware.

This tells me that Taylor (or maybe someone else above Taylor even) is making roster decisions and not consulting anyone, especially not the coaches/coordinators of said players.
Reply/Quote
Simply pathetic. Either Tobin or the owner and making those decisions. oh by the way coach, Calhoun is gone.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:11 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He was literally released minutes before that question. Minutes.

True, but the OC should be a part of that decision before any announcement is made.
Things like this beg the question why Callahan is even in the role he's in.
Taylor, Turner, and Tobin are clearly the decision makers for OL personnel.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This is just some flat out Cleveland shit! Start playing the Sam Wyche sound bite in Zac's office 24/7. How does the OC not know the plan! Just pathetic. Anyone who wants to defend this needs to go back and stick their head back in the sand. Absolute joke these guys are.
Reply/Quote
At best it shows a lack of communication. At worst, just more if the typical front office dysfunction we have grown to expect.
Reply/Quote
It's not like Calhoun was a player getting playing time, he was a back of the roster guy that they just moved to move someone else. For crying out loud, it's not like they cut Hopkins....
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:20 AM)ochocincos Wrote: True, but the OC should be a part of that decision before any announcement is made.
Things like this beg the question why Callahan is even in the role he's in.
Taylor, Turner, and Tobin are clearly the decision makers for OL personnel.

Do we know that they didn't ask him for his opinion on it before the press conference?  
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:16 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: You're missing my point.

It doesn't matter how many minutes or hours a player was released before the question. I'm not saying Callahan was stupid for not checking his phone and seeing the press release.

I'm saying he should have known prior to the press release and he should have had a hand in the decision to waive Calhoun. He is the offensive coordinator. He is not some low level assistant. In theory, every decision about the offensive roster should run through him.

So how in God's name did he not know that Calhoun was being released that day? He should have known Calhoun was being released hours if not days before the press release went out. But he was completely unaware.

This tells me that Taylor (or maybe someone else above Taylor even) is making roster decisions and not consulting anyone, especially not the coaches/coordinators of said players.

Or Callahan did know, and he wasn't going to say it in the interview. Did he bring up Calhoun himself or was he asked? Sounds like poor timing. 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:32 AM)Whatever Wrote: Do we know that they didn't ask him for his opinion on it before the press conference?  

They = Taylor, Turner, and/or Tobin?

I doubt any person outside the organization knows that, but one would assume no since Callahan didn't seem to know anything about it?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:32 AM)Whatever Wrote: Do we know that they didn't ask him for his opinion on it before the press conference?  

Its very possible he had a hand in the decision, but he wasn't going to reveal it in the interview. I didn't see or hear it, but if he voluntarily talked about Calhoun being a help, then that's the problem, but if avoided talking about him until directly asked, then my guess is he knew and just refrained from saying anything. 
Reply/Quote

Not missing the point at all; I get what you're saying.

For all we know, they did consult with him and he was on-board, but it was done before he knew it was going to take place.

Who knows at this point?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Didn't you know, this place is full of unemployed NFL Scouts and coaches??  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:33 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Or Callahan did know, and he wasn't going to say it in the interview. Did he bring up Calhoun himself or was he asked? Sounds like poor timing. 

What's the point of an interview if the coaches aren't going to say how they actually feel about their players?

If this were the case and he did know, he should have said something along the lines of "Calhoun has potential and could start or play for us or another NFL team down the line, but we don't currently think he is in competition for starting. At least not yet."

Something along those lines. Don't condemn him, don't praise him, but don't lie about him being in the battle to start at RG for week 4.

Why give praise and say he is part of the competition when he clearly isn't? Honestly, I think your scenario is worse haha. It basically means we should just not listen to the coaches at all if they're just going to lie to our faces about how they view their roster.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:35 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not missing the point at all; I get what you're saying.

For all we know, they did consult with him and he was on-board, but it was done before he knew it was going to take place.

Who knows at this point?

If you get my point then maybe don't act like I'm being some irrational clod? I think you know my posting style well enough that I am not some overreacting complainer...right?
Reply/Quote
I don't get this complaint at all.

His response was pure coach speak about Calhoun. Seemed like the type of answer any coach gives when asked about random player A, B, or C who isn't a starter or big name kind of guy.

What were you expecting him to say, "Hey we are going to cut that guy today." Then everyone would be pissed that a coach cut a guy in a presser before they let the player know.

I'm sure he was aware it was coming and he probably never anticipated a question about the guy. It is weird and unfortunate timing but this is a non issue compared to the rest of the real things happening to this team.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote

yikes....this is the first visible hit of the iceberg on the titanic.....LOOKS VERY VERY BAD and basically illustrates what a mess this team is and continues to be. Years and years with no real GM and the puppet master (MB) probably making moves via pager after the 5 O'clock senior special dinner.     
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:38 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: What's the point of an interview if the coaches aren't going to say how they actually feel about their players?

If this were the case and he did know, he should have said something along the lines of "Calhoun has potential and could start or play for us or another NFL team down the line, but we don't currently think he is in competition for starting. At least not yet."

Something along those lines. Don't condemn him, don't praise him, but don't lie about him being in the battle to start at RG for week 4.

Why give praise and say he is part of the competition when he clearly isn't? Honestly, I think your scenario is worse haha. It basically means we should just not listen to the coaches at all if they're just going to lie to our faces about how they view their roster.

Correct.

No NFL coach is going to come out and say, that guy was crap and needs to step it up. If they do that they get hammered for calling out a player publicly, it has happened before.

They handle all those comments in the locker room. Listen to any press conference from any coach about whatever player and you hear them say, I think he played well but I need to see the tape. When asked about a QB, he looked good, made some nice throws but got to make sure we aren't missing the open opportunities. This is coach speak.... you don't alienate your players to appease the media and the fans who are ready to second guess ever move you make.

Plus, if you call out a player it ends up as headlines on ESPN, Twitter, and everywhere else and eventually is taken out of context.

This is an absolute non-story. If they wait 10 mins more to waive him or 10 minutes sooner, this never happens.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote