Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
OH NO! Bengals are officially annoying!
I know..It's from someone whose panties are probably too tight, but it's now official in the Washington Post.. Basically your average pissed in Cheerio's rant from a fan of some other team.. Boohoo.. Candice Buckner..sports editor at large I guess.. At least we annoy more than just Bills and Chiefs fans..and Ravens, and Squeelers...and Browns and.... I didn't feel like rummaging through all the formatting so please forgive..Been working all week long 12 and 15 hour days.. Whatever

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/01/28/bengals-cocky-joe-burrow-eli-apple/
Quote:[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]One of the best things about last year’s NFL playoffs was the cute and cuddly Cincinnati Bengals. They went from living in the league’s bargain bin and wearing ugly jerseys accented by cartoonish tiger stripes — or maybe chili stains, we could never make out which — to the plucky and fun darlings crashing the NFL’s biggest party.[/color]

[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]Their baby-faced coach gave off such regular dude vibes that he got carded at a bar. Their most clutch player was the kicker. Their quarterback resembled Macaulay Culkin. And his college buddy, the wide receiver, Griddy’d his way into becoming the Bengals’ best playmaker, as well as the NFL’s top offensive rookie.[/color]
[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]That team, so freakin’ lovable. Its rise, so improbable. Who could resist this underdog story? Rooting for Cincinnati in Super Bowl LVI felt like applauding your neighbor’s kid as he starred in the role of Tree No. 2 in “Jack and the Beanstalk.” Especially when they were pitted against Stan Kroenke’s rent-a-championship Los Angeles roster representing everything that’s cynical and jaded in professional sports, we could all get behind the wholesome Midwesterners as the aw-shucks alternative.[/color]

[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]But that was last year. The Bengals used to be a feel-good story. Now they’re just feeling themselves. Gosh, they’re sooooo annoying.[/color]
The Bengals’ big-game vibes were forged by the College Football Playoff
[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]This keeps happening to our beloved underdogs. First, it was kale, that leafy hipster of the veggie section. We once loved how it was both healthy and cool, but then the superfood started appearing everywhere, from smoothies to Beyoncé’s sweatshirt, and lost its charming appeal.[/color]

[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]Next, pickleball — that fun little exercise for grandma and grandpa. Too bad the sport has fallen in with the wrong crowd. These days, it’s the neighborhood tough running off tennis players from their own courts.[/color]
[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]Now, it’s the Bengals. They keep winning games. That’s not the annoying part. They’ll make for an entertaining AFC championship rematch with Kansas City on Sunday. No one’s hating on their 10 consecutive wins. Just everything else about them.[/color]

[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]Don’t they know that exposure to secondhand smoke can cause lung cancer? But kick rocks, surgeon general, says every Bengals player, probably, puffing cigars in an attempt to mimic the look of a champion after their wins. When they light up, they reek of unearned cockiness. Even though he has taken part in this particular celebration since college, quarterback Joe Burrow looks nothing like Red Auerbach or Michael Jordan. More like Kevin McCallister discovering his dad’s cigar stash after being left home alone.[/color]

[/url]

[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]When their [url=https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status/1617313955894145025?s=46&t=Kh1LSO6Cn5jjGt_WKfdlvg]resident front-runner, Eli Appl
e, finishes savoring his stogie, he then goes searching for more smoke. After Cincy beat the Buffalo Bills in the AFC divisional round last Sunday, Apple spent much of the following day taking victory laps around Twitter, retweeting his own highlights and trolling Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs as they began their early vacations. In one jab, Apple mocked Diggs with: “Cancún on 3” Maybe it would’ve been funny had he not added the heart symbol emoji — a gesture commonly associated with Bills player Damar Hamlin, who suffered a cardiac arrest and nearly died in a previous game against the Bengals.[/color]
[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]In a follow-up tweet, Apple claimed he wasn’t making light of Hamlin. Still seems strange that of all the random emoji Apple could’ve used, the beach and palm tree, the cruise ship, the kale leaf, he chose the worst possible one.[/color]

[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]And while Apple and his chesty teammates can’t stop providing bulletin board material — cornerback Mike Hilton renamed Kansas City’s stadium “Burrowhead” — they’re also wallpapering their locker room with the stuff.[/color]
The NFL has a familiar final four, and it may be here to stay
[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]Coach Zac Taylor, who still appears unable to grow facial hair, wrings every ounce of motivation he can from the everyone-hates-us narrative. Whether it’s the potential for tiebreaking coin flips or neutral-site games — how dare this billion-dollar industry make contingency plans?! — the once-forgotten franchise based in a midsize American city perfect for flying over now feels disrespected by the NFL. The Bengals are complaining about unfairness, then choreographing elaborate touchdown celebrations aimed at the league. Or smugly apologizing about ruining the NFL’s proposal for a conference championship game in Atlanta had the Bills won.[/color]
[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]“We just keep screwing it up,” Taylor said sarcastically Sunday in his postgame troll. “I’m sorry.”[/color]

[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]If only our favorite underdogs and upstarts could stay lovable forever. While championship dynasties dominate news cycles and genetically gifted athletes who come out of the womb ready to tear down backboards command our attention, it’s the little guys in sports who truly capture our affection. But inevitably, the magic ends. A part of us wishes they could be frozen in time at the exact moment of their surprising entry to the big stage, that they didn’t grow up and join lockstep with the mainstream that they had once overturned.[/color]
[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]Those giant killers from the Saint Peter’s men’s basketball team were supposed to stay at their commuter school until they beat every top seed in March Madness ever — and not disperse for bigger jobs and the transfer portal for understandable reasons that have no place in fairy tales. The “Miracle on Ice” Olympic team should’ve remained young and heroic, the inspiration for Disney movies, not grown into voting adults, wearing Keep America Great hats while stumping for Donald Trump.[/color]
[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]Every fad eventually fades, and real people evolve away from the fairy tales. Some growth spurts happen faster than others. The Bengals spent less than one year in their underdog Underoos before becoming too big for their britches.[/color]
[color=var(--wpds-colors-gray40)]Through the plumes of cigar smoke and flame wars on social media, we can barely recognize our favorite little guy story from a year ago. We liked them small and adorable and defying the odds. But they had to go and become the Goliaths of their division, the conference and, possibly, the NFL. That’s perfectly fine. Just too bad they think that arrogance goes well with those garish tiger stripes.[/color]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bet the Bengals winning is annoying the rest of the football universe. HilariousHilarious

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2023, 11:15 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Bet the Bengals winning is annoying the rest of the football universe. HilariousHilarious

I know..super bumming isn't it?  ThumbsUp

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
My god, that's a pretentious article.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2023, 11:15 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Bet the Bengals winning is annoying the rest of the football universe. HilariousHilarious

Ikr. We keep screwing things up for everyone!
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2023, 11:43 PM)Earendil Wrote: My god, that's a pretentious article.

I'm surprised she didn't accuse the team of being in league with the devil..lol I know I am..Actually I'm in league with the Tooth Fairy.. 

Reply/Quote
Yeah well we've spent decades being annoyed by every other team and the media swooning over them.

The world can get ******. It's our time now.
Reply/Quote
As long as the Bengals were lovable losers, good every once in a great while, interesting for a bit but then going away, every thing was hunky dory. Beating the best teams in the league, brimming with confidence, taking no prisoners….can’t have that!

What a load of crap!
Reply/Quote
Was never a fan of a team because they were the underdog. Don’t care what random sports writers think of the Bengals. Damar doesn’t own the heart thing because he began using it a couple of weeks ago. Eli was on that field too and to assume something like that based on something as benign as a heart symbol is disgusting. Oh and eff Josh Allen. He’s turned into a tool.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Would anyone be surprised to know she once covered sports in….Kanas City?

On the other hand, Zac has the insult to read to the team at tomorrow morning’s meeting

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Now you don't want us to talk? Eff you! Been 34 effing years! We gon'talk! Who effing Dey! There's a lot of fans been embarrassed over the years wearing these colors! But we still wore em! Let us have our time! Who Dey! Who Dey! Who Dey think gon' beat them Bengals! Nnmmooooooobbbbooooddddyyyy!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 01:36 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Was never a fan of a team because they were the underdog. Don’t care what random sports writers think of the Bengals. Damar doesn’t own the heart thing because he began using it a couple of weeks ago. Eli was on that field too and to assume something like that based on something as benign as a heart symbol is disgusting. Oh and eff Josh Allen. He’s turned into a tool.

Effing effin A!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
She talks about arrogance and then demonstrates her own typical East Coast arrogance: "the once-forgotten franchise based in a midsize American city perfect for flying over."
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2023, 11:43 PM)Earendil Wrote: My god, that's a pretentious article.

The Washington Post is like that. Plus they haven't had consistent winning football there in decades and they play in a crap stadium that's falling apart even though it's only about 20 years old. 
Reply/Quote
When you are talked about, whether in a good or bad light, you've become an important part in someone's life.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 06:37 AM)Nepa Wrote: She talks about arrogance and then demonstrates her own typical East Coast arrogance: "the once-forgotten franchise based in a midsize American city perfect for flying over."

I'm from the east coast (NYC) and I've seen and heard nothing but respect for the Bengals. This writer has a heavy bias in some way. 

She probably has a whole slew of whiny topics waiting in the pipeline.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 07:59 AM)Interceptor Wrote: When you are talked about, whether in a good or bad light, you've become an important part in someone's life.

There is no such thing as bad publicity.

It’s almost like a New World Order feel in the NFL, ands it’s too sweet!
Reply/Quote
There's one word to describe the writer of that article and it rhymes with bunt.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2023, 06:37 AM)Nepa Wrote: She talks about arrogance and then demonstrates her own typical East Coast arrogance: "the once-forgotten franchise based in a midsize American city perfect for flying over."
She was born and raised in the St Louis. Went to the Univ of Misery. She spent 6 years working in KC and another 3 in Indy. She’s ashamed of her midwestern roots. And probably speaking from her Chiefs fandom

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
All successful teams are annoying. Cincinnati is no exception.
Reply/Quote