Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK, since this hasn't been brought up ....
How in the world can a team (Browns) keep running a QB option or keeper or whatever you call it, time and time again so dad gum successful???

Don't defenses usually put a spy there once they see it happen??
Reply/Quote
Poor defensive IQ. When the end doesn't hold their spot and crashes every time it makes it easy for the QB.
Reply/Quote
It's known as the unknown qb/rookie qb principle. If you have one, play him against the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 10:29 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: How in the world can a team (Browns) keep running a QB option or keeper or whatever you call it, time and time again so dad gum successful???

A spy is something you really need to install during the week, since you have to adjust gap assignments and coverage responsibilities around the spy.  Mobile QB's usually work well as mid game subs for that reason.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 10:29 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: How in the world can a team (Browns) keep running a QB option or keeper or whatever you call it, time and time again so dad gum successful???

Not really a spy thing more assignment thing.. it was effective play for them,, im guessing the Bengals had not game planned much of that  type of attack so 1st half they really got hurt by it but after the first drive of 2nd half. they did better against it before they got some junk yards late in 4th.  

Same could be said for some of our runs with Hill and Gio, we ran the same running play like 5 to 7 times for big yards... that goes unnoticed since it is not a QB running the ball.

The kid ran for over 100 but had a passing rating of like 20.. i will take that trade off any day.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 11:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not really a spy thing more assignment thing.. it was effective play for them,, im guessing the Bengals had not game planned much of that  type of attack so 1st half they really got hurt by it but after the first drive of 2nd half. they did better against it before they got some junk yards late in 4th.  

Same could be said for some of our runs with Hill and Gio, we ran the same running play like 5 to 7 times for big yards... that goes unnoticed since it is not a QB running the ball.

The kid ran for over 100 but had a passing rating of like 20.. i will take that trade off any day.

Plus you wouldn't think they'd be exposing their 4th string QB to punishment.  I mean how many QB's are they going to go through this year?  What's the record?!?!?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote

Usually a defensive coordinator adjusts the scheme to contain an option quarterback.  For example, Paul Guenther could have dropped one less linebacker into coverage and/or "added" a linebacker with the occasional 3-4 look the Bengals use from time to time.  Defensive linemen are not fast enough to chase down a running quarterback so that's not part of the scheme.  What Paul did was to play some nickel defense and he used Shawn Williams very effectively as a safety blitz -- and that's when Cleveland stopped running the quarterback option.
Reply/Quote

Michael Johnson had outside containment on all of those, and got caught closing in and is very slow to react.  He looks downright exhausted out there.  The most athletic play I saw all day on the D-line was when Clarke came in and on his first snap, he saw the quick screen to his size and he charged and jumped at the ball.  He didn't miss it by much, and if he had caught it....golden goalposts.  
Reply/Quote
A spy is not a good technique against the zone read. You jusy need your defensive ends and outside linebackers to play good assignment football and not hero football.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
There is a reason read option teams in the NFL find success early then fizzle out. Teams do not scheme to stop the read option in the NFL. Once a team has shown a willingness to run it, then defenses will install schemes to stop it. Here is the thing I know everyone thinks it's as easy as the DE containing, but it really isn't. If it was that easy you wouldn't see almost every team in college run it.

When the DE stays home it creates a whole for the HB to cut up field. The reason a read option works is because normally your 5 guys (line) are blocking four ( D Line), but since you leaving the back end unblocked on a read option you have five on three which makes for a huge running mismatch. The safety a couple times got caught following behind when in reality he could have stopped him for 5ish yard gains each time. The backside safety should have had come down on the QB until he shows he can throw out of that action. My guess though is since no one knew who the hell this kid was they keyed on Crowell (who was leading the league in rushing early in the season) and honestly weren't too concerned about the kid,
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 01:23 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Plus you wouldn't think they'd be exposing their 4th string QB to punishment.  I mean how many QB's are they going to go through this year?  What's the record?!?!?

Griffin
McCowan
Kessler
Whitehurst
Pryor
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 11:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not really a spy thing more assignment thing.. it was effective play for them,, im guessing the Bengals had not game planned much of that  type of attack so 1st half they really got hurt by it but after the first drive of 2nd half. they did better against it before they got some junk yards late in 4th.  

I'd almost take the trade of seeing AJ Green make that juggling catch every game over winning . I watch for the entertainment value as much as any other reason and if you weren't entertained by that there's something wrong .  (I'm not accusing anyone of not being entertained by it.)
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Paulie G was ok with giving Hogan the run instead of letting another rookie QB beat him with his arm.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 09:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Michael Johnson had outside containment on all of those, and got caught closing in and is very slow to react.  He looks downright exhausted out there.  The most athletic play I saw all day on the D-line was when Clarke came in and on his first snap, he saw the quick screen to his size and he charged and jumped at the ball.  He didn't miss it by much, and if he had caught it....golden goalposts.  

I truly like what I'm seeing with Clarke
Reply/Quote
He had 104 yards rushing and Newton had 107 against the Bengals in 2014.
Reply/Quote

[Image: just-like-dad-gum-cigarettes-782674.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

The read option. the QB reads the flow of the defense (usually the DE) and if they flow with the RB toward handoff then the QB pulls ball back and reverses other direction. If they stay at home the handoff is made to RB.

But this is the NFL and all you have to do is punish that QB a few times and this play will stop quickly.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 01:23 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Plus you wouldn't think they'd be exposing their 4th string QB to punishment.  I mean how many QB's are they going to go through this year?  What's the record?!?!?

Hue does this and loves gimmicks. 

Remember when he reversed a pass back to Dalton from about the 2 yard line and exposed him to a brutal assault that luckily the defender went for ball instead. 

Like Hue a lot but some of his play calling is more suited for the college game where believe he would become a genius. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 09:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Michael Johnson had outside containment on all of those, and got caught closing in and is very slow to react.  He looks downright exhausted out there.  The most athletic play I saw all day on the D-line was when Clarke came in and on his first snap, he saw the quick screen to his size and he charged and jumped at the ball.  He didn't miss it by much, and if he had caught it....golden goalposts.  

This^ 

MJ did not react well, and even after about the 5th time Hogan kept it MJ was still collapsing way too far down. Forget being tired, a vet should be in better position than MJ was. Especially considering he played and practiced at GT. You'd think he'd be as used to the option as any DE out there
Reply/Quote

it was the only thing our defense was giving up to him..  if he wants a little 5-10 yard run and a visit from doctor burfict...   well that will give out before too long.
Reply/Quote