Sacks - 0
Pressures - 3
PFF pass block rating - 71.3 (B grade)

Williams:
Sacks - 2
Pressures - 5
PFF pass block rating - 53.1 (D grade)

What say you?
Do these reflect your eye test of how the OL is performing?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think we are slowly starting to realize that Jonah Williams isn't really it...especially for a former 1st round 4th year player.

I'll give Volson the rest of the season to continue to prove himself, but no way should he be cemented in next year either. Aaron Donald is going to line up against Volson this week and he's going to absolutely destroy him.

Just more holes we will have to fill this off-season.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think we are slowly starting to realize that Jonah Williams isn't really it...especially for a former 1st round 4th year player.

I'll give Volson the rest of the season to continue to prove himself, but no way should he be cemented in next year either. Aaron Donald is going to line up against Volson this week and he's going to absolutely destroy him.

With Jonah a free agent, I wonder what we do at rt next year. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 01:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Brown:
Sacks - 0
Pressures - 4
PFF pass block rating - 72.1 (B grade)

Volson:
Sacks - 0
Pressures - 4
PFF pass block rating - 27.1 (F grade)

Karras:
Sacks - 0
Pressures - 2
PFF pass block rating - 62.3 (C grade)

Cappa:
Sacks - 0
Pressures - 3

Williams:
Sacks - 2
Pressures - 5

What say you?

these grades look far better than i expected.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think we are slowly starting to realize that Jonah Williams isn't really it...especially for a former 1st round 4th year player.

Not sure if you meant he's been in the league 4 complete seasons or he's essentially in his 4th year because he missed his rookie season, but Williams is actually in his 5th season if you count his missed rookie season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With Jonah a free agent, I wonder what we do at rt next year. 

If Collins wasn't let go, I would have thought keep Collins for his final year and draft a guy early.
Then let Collins and that draft pick battle it out.

Now?
I'm thinking it has to be a draft pick 1st round and live or die with his performance.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The PFF grades are lower than they should be. 18 pressure and 3 sacks in 2 games is not bad at all ESPECIALLY when the pressure stat is pretty iffy in the first place and Burrow has not moved in the pocket at all. The line has played pretty well, in fact it is the best playing unit on the offense so far. Add in 4.0 YPC ground game too.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Collins wasn't let go, I would have thought keep Collins for his final year and draft a guy early.
Then let Collins and that draft pick battle it out.

Now?
I'm thinking it has to be a draft pick 1st round and live or die with his performance.

Plus, cheap rookie deal for 5 years.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:15 PM)Joelist Wrote: The PFF grades are lower than they should be. 18 pressure and 3 sacks in 2 games is not bad at all ESPECIALLY when the pressure stat is pretty iffy in the first place and Burrow has not moved in the pocket at all. The line has played pretty well, in fact it is the best playing unit on the offense so far. Add in 4.0 YPC ground game too.

I've mentioned multiple times across various threads in the past, but PFF grades aren't as simple as "no pressure = perfect pass block rating."
So just because a low number of pressures was allowed doesn't necessarily mean they were perfect on their pass block rep.

Also, 4.0 YPC is not considered very good nowadays in the run game.
They're 19th in the league in YPC.

I think teams are learning to put (more) focus on coverage and ok with letting the Bengals run more, as they know the run game isn't dominant enough to carry the offense.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:15 PM)Joelist Wrote: The PFF grades are lower than they should be. 18 pressure and 3 sacks in 2 games is not bad at all ESPECIALLY when the pressure stat is pretty iffy in the first place and Burrow has not moved in the pocket at all. The line has played pretty well, in fact it is the best playing unit on the offense so far. Add in 4.0 YPC ground game too.

Got a great signing on getting Brown as LT. He's done a good job these first two games. And overall, except for Volson, the line has looked good. Of course, three tough defenses to start the season with Aaron Donald coming next. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With Jonah a free agent, I wonder what we do at rt next year. 

For the 4th consecutive season, OL is going to be the first round pick in 90% of Bengals fan mock drafts, desperate to fix this line once and for all.

Let's just hope the front office agrees for once.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:26 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: For the 4th consecutive season, OL is going to be the first round pick in 90% of Bengals fan mock drafts, desperate to fix this line once and for all.

Let's just hope the front office agrees for once.

Bengals - "Ya know what? I know OL is a need, but this DE has just too much potential to pass up!"
Ninja
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I'd say that person isn't currently on the roster. 

With a lot of guys leaving next year, they will have money to spend on other FAs. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals - "Ya know what? I know OL is a need, but this DE has just too much potential to pass up!"
Ninja

Dude, Murphy better show something soon, because right now it feels like we did not have a first round pick in 2023. If he was this much of a project, he should not have been a first rounder...
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'd say that person isn't currently on the roster. 

With a lot of guys leaving next year, they will have money to spend on other FAs. 

With Burrow's contract now factored in and Collins off the books, Bengals are projected to be sitting at ~$72 mill in cap currently for next year.
That's currently 6th highest available cap.

With that said, there are some starting spots that could potentially need to be filled with upcoming FAs:
NT (DJ Reader)
WR2 (Tee Higgins)
WR3 (Tyler Boyd)
RT (Jonah Williams)
TE (Irv Smith)
CB1 (Chidobe Awuzie)

Handful of backup spots to worry about too:
TE2 (Sample)
NT2 (Tupou)
LB3 (ADG)
LB4 (Bailey)

Higgins getting tagged will be over $20 mill. I believe around $25 mill, IIRC.
That would take a big chunk of the available cap.

It's likely DJ Turner is set to take Awuzie's spot after this year and start opposite CTB.

Bengals could need 2, maybe 3, new pass catchers.
Will Charlie Jones be ready to take over slot duties if/when Boyd leaves?

It's expected (at least by me) that we'll see Boyd and (at least) two of Higgins/Reader/Williams depart in FA.
I think the Bengals can probably get two immediate starters out of the draft, three if they're lucky.
They might have to look to the cheaper FA market to backfill some spots with a competent veteran, even if the veteran isn't quite as good as the person they are replacing.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:41 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Dude, Murphy better show something soon, because right now it feels like we did not have a first round pick in 2023. If he was this much of a project, he should not have been a first rounder...

I mean....there's probably a reason he dropped in the 1st round and Bengals weren't expecting him to be available so late...
Maybe lack of polish is a big reason why.
And if so, I agree.
Not something I would have spent a 1st rounder on.

With that said, I thought the same thing on Josh Allen, and he was not good his first two years, but he's turned into a damn good starter.

Different circumstances though for Bengals since Bengals are trying to contend and BUF wasn't really in a window yet. They could take time to wait for development.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Murphy doesn’t look athletic at all. Hope that changes with experience.
If Hendrickson doesn’t get pressure then they have zero pass rush. He was non-existent yesterday and so was the pass rush.

They badly need an athletic edge rusher but those guys are hard to find (duh).

If they lose vs Rams then just rest Burrow until he’s 100% and tank the season. No matter where they end up drafting they need to take nothing but linemen on both sides of the ball.
Reply/Quote
The two bad players on the OL unsurprisingly continue to be bad.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The QB gets credit of blame also on sack. Joe got sacked by Clowney (Williams gave it up), but it was clearly a coverage sack. The other glaring thing is Joe has a glaring issue, he has very little mobility (can't run or move well within the pocket).

Browns have a great DL, I think it will show up tonight against the Steelers, Ravens have a great LB group with Smith and Queen and as Zac said they are great at coverage. I did not see our trio of supposed great WR's getting much separation. That leads to bad throws, picks or sacks.

Our bigger issue is will Joe B. need to go on IR or miss they next 4 to 6 weeks. If so, we have major issues in 2024.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 01:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Brown:
Sacks - 0
Pressures - 4
PFF pass block rating - 72.1 (B grade)

Volson:
Sacks - 0
Pressures - 4
PFF pass block rating - 27.1 (F grade)

Karras:
Sacks - 0
Pressures - 2
PFF pass block rating - 62.3 (C grade)

Cappa:
Sacks - 0
Pressures - 3

Williams:
Sacks - 2
Pressures - 5

What say you?

OK, so someone with more insight into PFF grades has to explain this to me. Brown has 0 sacks and 4 pressures allowed. He gets a 72.1 Volson has the exact same numbers and gets a 27.1? Cappa has one less pressure and gets a 71.3. Williams gives up 2 sacks and allows 5 pressures and gets a 53.1 Did Volson sleep with some dude's wife or something? I freely admit I do not understand PFF grades, but this seems stupid.
Reply/Quote