Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OL Pressures After 2 weeks
(09-20-2023, 11:35 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Related to that - I really do hate when people feel they have to comment about how dumb/useless PFF is whenever it's posted.
If someone doesn't like the grades, they should ignore the PFF part/post/thread.
Some people find it useful/enjoyable.

Unfortunately some peoples entire identity around here revolves around complainig. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 05:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: I trust posters eye test in the gameday thread better than any PFF grades.

I don't.

Have to remember that the majority of this board thought Auden Tate was a WR2 for years.

Unfortunately, a lot of agendas creep into player evals.  Some people were still holding out hope for Billy Price until the day he was traded, but people gave up on Carman his rookie year.  Nobody called Dax Hill a bust year one, but Myles Murphy already has people dubbing him one.  Folks want an OL in the first, so they hype up the annual Golden Bins winner as starter quality.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Brown is the best out of the bunch, and it's not close.
Reply/Quote
So, the OL came up yesterday on Locked On Bengals. Did you know our OL has allowed the fourth least amount and percentage of pressures? And on sacks 8th least? Even YPC at 4.0 is only 18th.

Not too shabby so far...
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 07:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: So, the OL came up yesterday on Locked On Bengals. Did you know our OL has allowed the fourth least amount and percentage of pressures? And on sacks 8th least? Even YPC at 4.0 is only 18th.

Not too shabby so far...

Factor in too Joe literally has scrambled maybe twice in 2 games

So they are trying to block for a statue
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 07:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: So, the OL came up yesterday on Locked On Bengals. Did you know our OL has allowed the fourth least amount and percentage of pressures? And on sacks 8th least? Even YPC at 4.0 is only 18th.

Not too shabby so far...

really quick passes negate pressures

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 07:42 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: really quick passes negate pressures

Hey it’s still happening tho
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 03:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't.

Have to remember that the majority of this board thought Auden Tate was a WR2 for years.

Unfortunately, a lot of agendas creep into player evals.  Some people were still holding out hope for Billy Price until the day he was traded, but people gave up on Carman his rookie year.  Nobody called Dax Hill a bust year one, but Myles Murphy already has people dubbing him one.  Folks want an OL in the first, so they hype up the annual Golden Bins winner as starter quality.  

They may have held out hope and wishfully thought, but during the game as things were going down folks call a spade a spade. If Price got beat no one was saying he wasn't beat. No one called Dax a bust year one in the game day thread because when he was in (the small amount of times he did play) he played well. Murphy is already dubbed one because in the gameday thread in real time, folks are seeing nothing out of him. 

Maybe you get blinded by the emotions of the gameday thread, but folks see with good vision real time when things break down (tackles missed, blocks missed, and who was at fault etc).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 12:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: They may have held out hope and wishfully thought, but during the game as things were going down folks call a spade a spade. If Price got beat no one was saying he wasn't beat. No one called Dax a bust year one in the game day thread because when he was in (the small amount of times he did play) he played well. Murphy is already dubbed one because in the gameday thread in real time, folks are seeing nothing out of him. 

Maybe you get blinded by the emotions of the gameday thread, but folks see with good vision real time when things break down (tackles missed, blocks missed, and who was at fault etc).

To be fair, Dax Hill never even saw more than 6 snaps in a NFL game until Week 8 last year. And only once more in the regular season last year, which was Week 14. Only 131 defensive snaps last year.

Murphy, due to injuries, is being thrust in (way) earlier than he should be.
Already at 32 defensive snaps.

Hill didn't reach 32 snaps until Week 8.

I'm not trying to excuse Murphy's performance, just trying to point out Hill might have also not looked as good in the first two games if he got more than the 8 total snaps he saw in the first two weeks of his NFL career. We might be putting too high expectations on late 1st rounders.

Tee Higgins was drafted 33rd overall, so he's essentially a late 1st rounder, and he only had 75 receiving yards in his first 3 games. Only 35 yards in his first 2 games. Some might say he was a disappointment after the first 2 games as well.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Not too shabby so far...

If only they could be rock solid on a few 3rd downs..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 12:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: They may have held out hope and wishfully thought, but during the game as things were going down folks call a spade a spade. If Price got beat no one was saying he wasn't beat. No one called Dax a bust year one in the game day thread because when he was in (the small amount of times he did play) he played well. Murphy is already dubbed one because in the gameday thread in real time, folks are seeing nothing out of him. 

I seem to remember a number of folks blaming G's for a number of Price's f-ups.  The reality there is that he got pass after pass because of where he went to college and the fact that everyone wanted a C in the 1st that year.  

Similarly, many people wanted a S last year.  In fact, Dax was many people's pick.  Dude allowed 7 receptions on 8 Targets and graded significantly lower than Murphy has through his first two games this season, and somehow he played better?

Darnell Wright was the consensus board dream pick this year.  He allowed a sack and two pressures last week.  Would people be labeling him a bust at this stage if he was our pick?  I doubt it, and it wouldn't be fair to.  You can't label anybody a bust 2 games into their career.  

Reality is, people are declaring Murphy a bust because he hasn't flashed as a pass rushers... when he's primarily been in on running downs when the opponent has the lead.  He's actually in the top half of 1st round rookies in PFF grade this year.

Personally, to break down trench play in detail, I have to frame by frame it.  Maybe there are posters in the game day thread that can break it down real time with their beer goggles on, but I'm not one of them.  In the past, I've shot down several people who've claimed one thing regarding a play that turns out not to be the case when you really slow it down and break it down.  
Reply/Quote