Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OL improved in 2nd half
This is a good sign

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Watt got hurt too, but 63.6% isn't good either. Basically that means that every play 2 of the 5 guys lost their block. In the 1st half 3 of the 5 lost their block on any play.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:00 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Watt got hurt too, but 63.6% isn't good either. Basically that means that every play 2 of the 5 guys lost their block. In the 1st half 3 of the 5 lost their block on any play.

It is better than the league average and Watt didn't get hurt until late in the 4th QTR

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
How'd we do last year with this stat?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Everybody seemed better in the second half and that probably begins in the trenches. Praying they were just shaking off the cobwebs.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:05 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Everybody seemed better in the second half and that probably begins in the trenches.  Praying they were just shaking off the cobwebs.

Right, and before anyone starts in with starters should have playing in pre-season, how'd that work out for the Stealers. They've lost Watt most likely for the year, Najee Harris has a Lis Franc, and Highsmith went out of the game with some sort of injury.
Reply/Quote
Take the words and advice of the ayahuasca chugging QB, 'R-E-L-A-X'
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, and before anyone starts in with starters should have playing in pre-season, how'd that work out for the Stealers. They've lost Watt most likely for the year, Najee Harris has a Lis Franc, and Highsmith went out of the game with some sort of injury.

It worked well for them in the W-L column. But, yeah the injuries are costly.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, and before anyone starts in with starters should have playing in pre-season, how'd that work out for the Stealers. They've lost Watt most likely for the year, Najee Harris has a Lis Franc, and Highsmith went out of the game with some sort of injury.

I swear I've never seen Najee do a thing in any game I've seen him play which is more than just Bengals' games.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Any stat that shows the Bengals having better pass blocking than the Steelers is a joke.

We got almost no pressure on Trubisky at all while Burrow was on the run all day.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Any stat that shows the Bengals having better pass blocking than the Steelers is a joke.

We got almost no pressure on Trubisky at all while Burrow was on the run all day.

7 sacks is just extraordinary. I think we all were salivating at the thought of Burrow and Mixon behind an average O-line, and then we watch Volson get pushed ten yards back right into Burrow and Steelers in the backfield all day. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:43 AM)Nepa Wrote: 7 sacks is just extraordinary. I think we all were salivating at the thought of Burrow and Mixon behind an average O-line, and then we watch Volson get pushed ten yards back right into Burrow and Steelers in the backfield all day. 

Yep, stats don't tell the full-story, but I can't believe that a postseason which featured the most sacks ever... was followed up by 7 sacks in game 1.

Can remember saying it in the Super Bowl... I think we need to do a bit more to gameplan around it. If the line isn't protecting you have to move to plays which'll get the ball out quicker. There is zero point continuing with the same tired gameplan which leads to Burrow getting sacked into oblivion, and then getting sacked some more, because we are trying to let plays develop all the time.

Whenever we went up against Rivers, the ball was always out super quick. Can remember it being frustrating as our guys would never get to him... could've sacked off an offensive line and they wouldn't have gotten to him then either. You should be able to find a way to limit the sacks to below 7 no matter how bad the line is.

Sometimes the game forces your hands, and you won't come back from 11 down with slant passing and screens etc, but it disappoints me that we don't do more to get the ball out quicker when the line isn't holding up. Some of this is very much on Burrow too.
Reply/Quote
This OL was garbage against the Steelers.They had better get their act together,or we’re going to be minus one franchise Quarterback.The Bengals invested pretty heavy in this OL,(although not enough)this past offseason.Frank Pollack best try to turn things around in a hurry,or he might find himself in the unemployment line.

On the bright side,how about that defense? Only giving up 16 points in 5 quarters of play.With little pass rush,whats that tell you about our defensive secondary?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Any stat that shows the Bengals having better pass blocking than the Steelers is a joke.

Steelers had a good game plan to neutralize our pass rush. Trubisky was going to his first read most of the time and he was getting rid of the ball pretty quick. 

Tomlin absolutely schooled ZT yesterday. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
it was rough going but i guess Cappa, Karras did not look too bad in the circumstances - something to build on.

I've been a Frank Pollack guy since his first stint (I loathed the Turner hire but that's another story)...but with the Free agency investment we really need yesterday to be a collective bad day at the office - if we keep rotating the resource and its not getting better his seat could be getting warm.

Here's to a bounce back game .vs. Cowboys Tiger
Reply/Quote

Those numbers for Jonah and Volson definitely don’t match my eye test, but I also wasn’t focusing in solely on each individual lineman every play.

Regardless, it’s hard not to put this loss 100% on Burrow. Not only for the turnovers, but for taking multiple sacks that he shouldn’t have.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:02 AM)pally Wrote: It is better than the league average and Watt didn't get hurt until late in the 4th QTR

Exactly!    Watt was pretty well only missing during OT.   
Reply/Quote
This offensive line should of played in the pre-season and Burrow should of probably a half too.
Reply/Quote
PFF putting a lot of the pressure on Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Those numbers for Jonah and Volson definitely don’t match my eye test, but I also wasn’t focusing in solely on each individual lineman every play.

Regardless, it’s hard not to put this loss 100% on Burrow. Not only for the turnovers, but for taking multiple sacks that he shouldn’t have.
Yeah.   I would not have expected Volson to be anywhere close to that high.    While Collins wasn't anywhere close to perfect, I didn't expect him to be quite that low.  

Based on what I was seeing, there was pressure coming up from the LG position and Burrow rolled into some of those sacks.    Some of them were also him holding onto the ball too long.    I get he is looking for a play, but he needs to learn to either hit the hot read or throw it away.    I'd rather get to the next down without a loss of yardage vs. what we are doing now.  

And I fully agree with needing to change up the scheme to help the OL out - at least until they obtain some cohesiveness.   Still, was a tough draw in terms of starting the season out with one of the best DLines in the league (when healthy).

There is definitely work to do.    
Reply/Quote