Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OL improved in 2nd half

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Any stat that shows the Bengals having better pass blocking than the Steelers is a joke.

We got almost no pressure on Trubisky at all while Burrow was on the run all day.

How many plays did PIT run that weren't 3 step (Or from gun 1)? I only counted 4 which means a guy can lose his pass blocking rep but still not impact the play. It doesn't mean they didn't lose just that the QB got the ball out. My biggest issue with yesterday was a combination of Joe holding the ball too long and the play calling not capitalizing until the second half on dump offs and slants to take advantage of the two high shell.

The line is catching far more flack than they should probably for the issues yesterday. Early on there definitely were but as things progressed it became more and more on Burrow for not finding the underneath open guys and not checking into the right plays. Burrow gets a lot of passes here and in the media but yesterday he was not mentally in the game.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Based on nothing other than eye test the thing I felt was that when they were bad they were really bad but there were certain reps where burrow seemed to have lots of time. This gives me a bit of hope that once they get more reps together and rhythm that they can do this more regularly.

Last year it always felt to me like that the players were just bad and that there wasn’t many times he ever got clean pocket. This gives me a little bit of hope.

LG is a problem. Which lets be honest we all knew it would be. And that is a failing on recruitment and coaching. Burrow also just had a complete off day. Pocket presence was atrocious. He just looked rusty. Improved as game went on. I have no issues about him for season. Just a huge huge off day which happens to every QB. Last year he was coming off a much bigger injury but it was managed during camp to build up to season but this year it was a random injury during camp. Just threw everything way off
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: How many plays did PIT run that weren't 3 step (Or from gun 1)? I only counted 4 which means a guy can lose his pass blocking rep but still not impact the play. It doesn't mean they didn't lose just that the QB got the ball out. My biggest issue with yesterday was a combination of Joe holding the ball too long and the play calling not capitalizing until the second half on dump offs and slants to take advantage of the two high shell.

The line is catching far more flack than they should probably for the issues yesterday. Early on there definitely were but as things progressed it became more and more on Burrow for not finding the underneath open guys and not checking into the right plays. Burrow gets a lot of passes here and in the media but yesterday he was not mentally in the game.

I thought it was a really poor game plan for a defensive line of Pittsburgh's caliber. I know the Bengals don't do alot of motions or misdirection but against a defensive line that they should have... they did not once move the pocket and ran alot of deeper route combinations.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:21 PM)Synric Wrote: I thought it was a really poor game plan for a defensive line of Pittsburgh's caliber. I know the Bengals don't do alot of motions or misdirection but against a defensive line that they should have... they did not once move the pocket and ran alot of deeper route combinations.

This. The game plan was ass. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:21 PM)Synric Wrote: I thought it was a really poor game plan for a defensive line of Pittsburgh's caliber. I know the Bengals don't do alot of motions or misdirection but against a defensive line that they should have... they did not once move the pocket and ran alot of deeper route combinations.

Technically there was one play they had a backside overload out of empty where Burrow snapped it and ran a sprintout to the open side away from pressure. I think part of the issue is they usually run the boot to the right side (Burrow being right handed) which means they'd have ran their boot at Watt who is so good at that stuff. I think it was a conscious effort not to boot into Watt but would have liked to see them motion the TE wide then inline for a crack a few times to slow him down.
Reply/Quote
One-way to slow up a overloaded pass rush
Is to throw a middle screen to the TE
I saw maybe 1 or 2 attempts at running a screen pass vs
Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Those numbers for Jonah and Volson definitely don’t match my eye test, but I also wasn’t focusing in solely on each individual lineman every play.

Regardless, it’s hard not to put this loss 100% on Burrow. Not only for the turnovers, but for taking multiple sacks that he shouldn’t have.

What I noticed on one of Jonah's sacks was that Heyward beat Volson so badly and quickly, that Joe has to roll to his left. When he did, Jonah was riding Hightower out around the pocket and Joe ran right into his arms. I'd put that one on Volson. I don't remember the other one.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chess vs Checkers.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:58 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote: Yeah.   I would not have expected Volson to be anywhere close to that high.    While Collins wasn't anywhere close to perfect, I didn't expect him to be quite that low.  

Based on what I was seeing, there was pressure coming up from the LG position and Burrow rolled into some of those sacks.    Some of them were also him holding onto the ball too long.    I get he is looking for a play, but he needs to learn to either hit the hot read or throw it away.    I'd rather get to the next down without a loss of yardage vs. what we are doing now.  

And I fully agree with needing to change up the scheme to help the OL out - at least until they obtain some cohesiveness.   Still, was a tough draw in terms of starting the season out with one of the best DLines in the league (when healthy).

There is definitely work to do.    

Beat me to it, I saw the same thing.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Chess vs Checkers.

It's basically exactly what the Rams did to us overloading a side.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote