Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OL in weeks 3&4= Three total sacks given up. Are they starting to gel?
Perine got only 1 touch last night - and for Mixon not only did he trip himself out of big gains twice but at least three times he ran past the hole into his own people. Time to sit Mixon until they are 100% sure he can play full speed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 08:31 AM)Nepa Wrote: Yes, run blocking is not there at all. Between Mixon and Perrine, it was 25 caries for 61 yards. Fans in the stadium started to groan whenever they handed the ball to Mixon, because it was not working. Running was seemingly the right idea, but it was never successful the entire game, save the sole push into the end zone, which failed on subsequent efforts.

What is this Perine BS he had one carry that was all on Joe Mixon he is the one struggling.
Reply/Quote
Adeniji is fitting nicely into his Dennis Roland role
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I will say that while personally I think the OL has gotten some kinks out as far as pass pro goes and should be decent from now on, this is something we do need to keep in the back of our minds...

Games 1-2: 10 sacks
Games 3-4: 1 sack

At this exact same point in the season last year we thought the OL pass pro had been fixed.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 03:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Adeniji is fitting nicely into his Dennis Roland role

Hate him or hate him I give Adeniji props on helping Mixon score his rushing TD. I think he seems to be playing okay in jumbo packages, thats what he is coming out for right?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 03:16 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I will say that while personally I think the OL has gotten some kinks out as far as pass pro goes and should be decent from now on, this is something we do need to keep in the back of our minds...

Games 1-2: 10 sacks
Games 3-4: 1 sack

At this exact same point in the season last year we thought the OL pass pro had been fixed.

That is Vikings and Bears 10 sacks vs Pittsburgh and Dallas this year.

Oddly enough game 3 last year was Pittsburgh. And then 4 was Jacksonville who was just downright awful.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 03:33 PM)Joelist Wrote: Perine got only 1 touch last night - and for Mixon not only did he trip himself out of big gains twice but at least three times he ran past the hole into his own people. Time to sit Mixon until they are 100% sure he can play full speed.

FWIW Perine on that rush did the same thing Mixon did. He rammed inside when there was room on the bounce out
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I've been working on some metrics that I may end up posting in the next week or two. Pertaining to the offensive line, here are league offensive line scores for the entire league that I calculated earlier this morning. This is calculated with pass blocking efficiency (pressures/pass block snaps), yards before contact, and penalty percentage. The largest part of the equation is pass block efficiency, which is calculated using PFF's offensive line pressure numbers. This is done to attempt to account for any sacks that are Burrow's fault, an attempt to isolate the offensive line. The smallest is obviously penalty percentage, it is just a small modifier. I ran these rankings up against some of the PFF grades and while there are some notable differences, they get most of the teams in their correct "tier", so to speak.

[Image: h3rsFmG.png]  [Image: 0H8kyXT.png]
Reply/Quote
I think just as we were saying some of the blame is on Burrow for some of the sacks. I think some of the reason for better protection is because of Burrow's play as well. I think the check downs this week was due to tight coverage, getting the ball out quick and probably due to the fact that Buffalo was killing the Dolphins taking check downs. I've also noticed Burrow missing some throws but they always seem to be on the safe side of the play where only our guy can make a play. I wonder if this is due to tight coverage where Burrow maybe normally hangs on to the ball and waits for something better but instead just throws it up but while being cautious with the ball.

I do think the oline is playing better and I hope they can continue to improve. As far as the run game I think Mixon will get it going eventually and in the past if the blocking isn't there it seems to take quite a few games to workout like a mid-season form type of thing. So I really think we need to get all 3 backs involved just to try and keep everyone fresh and healthy for the stretch at the end. I would love to see some designed plays beyond screens to try and get a back open with space so they can catch a ball on the move.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 03:08 PM)Nepa Wrote: Really pleased with Volson's progress. Late 4th round pick from North Dakota State, this has turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

He's allowed more sacks than any other G in the league.  If that's a pleasant surprise, what do you consider a disappointment?
Reply/Quote
Yes the OL is getting more in sync and it is obvious from what we seeing. Not just a big drop in sacks but Burrow having more than sufficient time to work the pocket. And yes Burrow himself seems to be getting to be more like his 2021 self in terms of pocket awareness and navigation. Once he gets the pinpoint accuracy back this is going to be special.
Reply/Quote
The fact that Joe can drop back, in the pocket, scan the field and throw before being pummeled suggests some improvement.
Starting the season against 2 of the better pass rushers in the NFL was definitely a factor especially after not playing at all in the preseason. It isn't very likely that the FA OL acquisitions aren't any better than the scrubs they replaced. I believe they will improve weekly until they hit their pinnacle (around week 8).
Reply/Quote