Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OL or DT Possible 1st Bengals Pick
There is a name of a Blocker that comes up in many Mock Drafts on ESPN, CBS, ect....But also a name of a DT. These name come out so much, I have to think there is something to it. Now I really want more Blocking for Burrow and Mixon, especially Burrow. Some Mock Drafts say the Bengals will be in need of this DT also. Still, the DT can't Block for Burrow. Burrow is getting killed back there. Most sacked QB in NFL. Bengals made Super Bowl because Burrow escaped enough sacks to run or pass for 1st downs, but the O Line needs a lot more help NOW, ASAP. Bengals can't kick that can down the road anymore. Of course Chase was a better pick than Sewell, but passing on Sewell in 2021 means Burrow needs a Blocker in Pick 1 in 2022.

It could be the DT listed at end of Round 1, but I'm hoping it is The Blocker For Burrow. Even if they add Free Agent Blockers, We still need a more Long Term Solution for Blocking in Pock 1.

The other positions go on the back burner, because BLOCKING FOR BURROW has to be PRIORITY NUMBER ONE. The Bengals O Line got his knee injured and Burrow was lucky the doctors did as good as they did, but that knee needs MORE BLOCKING. We can't have this O Line getting Burrow career injured. We should want Burrow as Bengals Quarterback the next 10 to 15 years. To pull THAT off we must ADD BLOCKING. Without BLOCKING Bengals won't beat Browns, Steelers or Ravens, let alone make a play-off run for Super Bowl. IF this team had better BLOCKING, it would be THE DYNASTY TEAM of the 2020's Decade

I'm still for trading out of the end of Round 1 and into early part of Round 2 and adding a later Draft Pick. I'm one of the few people that want it, but Pick 31 is NOT a great pick. Pick 33 to Pick 37 are just as good, and why not try to add an extra Draft Pick around Rounds 4 or 5. I would say Round 3, but that may not be possible with Pick 31. I could see getting an extra Round 4 or Round 5, and still getting a player as good as Pick 31 in the early part of Round 2. Now why an extra pick ? To add much needed Depth at some positions later in the Draft.

Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 05:25 AM)kevin Wrote: There is a name of a Blocker that comes up in many Mock Drafts on ESPN, CBS, ect....But also a name of a DT.   These name come out so much, I have to think there is something to it.   Now I really want more Blocking for Burrow and Mixon, especially Burrow.   Some Mock Drafts say the Bengals will be in need of this DT also.   Still, the DT can't Block for Burrow.  Burrow is getting killed back there.  Most sacked QB in NFL.  Bengals made Super Bowl because Burrow escaped enough sacks to run or pass for 1st downs, but the O Line needs a lot more help NOW, ASAP.  Bengals can't kick that can down the road anymore.  Of course Chase was a better pick than Sewell, but passing on Sewell in 2021 means Burrow needs a Blocker in Pick 1 in 2022.

It could be the DT listed at end of Round 1, but I'm hoping it is The Blocker For Burrow.  Even if they add Free Agent Blockers, We still need a more Long Term Solution for Blocking in Pock 1.  

The other positions go on the back burner, because BLOCKING FOR BURROW has to be PRIORITY NUMBER ONE.  The Bengals O Line got his knee injured and Burrow was lucky the doctors did as good as they did, but that knee needs MORE BLOCKING.  We can't have this O Line getting Burrow career injured.  We should want Burrow as Bengals Quarterback the next 10 to 15 years. To pull THAT off we must ADD BLOCKING.  Without BLOCKING Bengals won't beat Browns, Steelers or Ravens, let alone make a play-off run for Super Bowl.  IF this team had better BLOCKING, it would be THE DYNASTY TEAM of the 2020's Decade

I'm still for trading out of the end of Round 1 and into early part of Round 2 and adding a later Draft Pick.  I'm one of the few people that want it, but Pick 31 is NOT a great pick.  Pick 33 to Pick 37 are just as good, and why not try to add an extra Draft Pick around Rounds 4 or 5.  I would say Round 3, but that may not be possible with Pick 31.  I could see getting an extra Round 4 or Round 5, and still getting a player as good as Pick 31 in the early part of Round 2.  Now why an extra pick ?  To add much needed Depth at some positions later in the Draft.

Tiger  Who Dey  Tiger

I think the BLOCKING will be vastly improved with a FA.  I don't see them gambling on a draft pick again for such a key spot.  I mean, as of right now, RT is Isiah Prince?  

And while there could be one of the stud DTs from Georgia, DE is a much deeper position and I could see that being the Bengals first pick in the draft.  

They won't want to reach for a G or OT (as the big four will likely be gone) and the talent at DE is strong in this draft.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There is a ton of youth on the OL. We tend not to cut people under contract unless we have to. This is a unit that needs veteran leadership.
OTOH , we don't have a penetrating IDL on the roster. We seem set at DE, but like CB, it's always a position of need.

If we follow through on free agency, we will be drafting a developing player. DT takes longer than OL to develop. In general, OL seems harder to find in FA than any position but QB. I just want to see BPA, and production over potential.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 04:29 PM)puddycat Wrote: There is a ton of youth on the OL.  We tend not to cut people under contract unless we have to.  This is a unit that needs veteran leadership.
OTOH , we don't have a penetrating IDL on the roster.  We seem set at DE, but like CB, it's always a position of need.

If we follow through on free agency, we will be drafting a developing player.  DT takes longer than OL to develop.  In general, OL seems harder to find in FA than any position but QB.  I just want to see BPA, and production over potential.

I have to disagree with you saying DT takes longer to develop than OL.   O Line takes way longer to develop. It takes years to build a good solid O Line.  O Line is a very hard position to learn.   It's a lot harder to Block for the QB than to rush the QB.  Plus not get flagged for moving before the snap or holding. 

I am also not into Best Player Available.  We are not picking early like the losers we have been.  Super Bowl means you pick last.  By Pick 31, the Top 5 and Top 10 Players are long gone.  At Pick 31 there really are no Best Player Available.  You take the best players to fill your Needs Areas.  A Blind Man can see the weakest area of Bengals is still O Line.  Burrow is getting killed back there.  

Even if they get a Free Agent O Lineman, we should be able to get a good Blocker first pick, and Burrow needs all the help he can get back there. The beating Burrow s taking, he will have a very short career, and good luck drafting a QB as good as Burrow if he gets early career injured.  

The Longest Yard :   Protect The Super Star

Football 101 in grade school on up :  Protect The Quarterback.

The Bengals still don't, so BLOCKING has to be the Main Focus.   Burrow needs as many good Blockers as they can add.  Better Blocking means Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Boyd will score a ton of points.  The best defense is a good offense.  

Burrow is the most sacked QB in the NFL. Before him it was Dalton. Before Dalton it was Palmer. Don't blame these QBs because the O Line stinks up the place. Get some BLOCKING on this Team, and THIS TEAM could be a DYNASTY TEAM. Mike BROWN IS WRONG, You Do Need Good Guards. The day of the messenger guards are long over. You want your best Blockers in there, not a bunch or rotating stiffs. I liked Paul Brown, but Mike Brown needs to know that the you can't just run anybody out there to block. Maybe Greg Cook injured so early showed you can't just change guards every play like they don't matter. Mike Brown saying Why Pay A Guard all the time, anybody that doesn't understand having a good O Line will get many QBs killed and have many losing seasons. ALL DYNASTY TEAMS HAD THE GREAT O LINE, from the Packers on to The 70's Steelers to the 80's 49ers and Washington to the 90's Raiders and Cowboys, DYNASTY TEAMS HAVE SUPER O LINES.

Non Football people who never watch the NFL, but watched The Super Bowl, now know The Bengals Weakness. They can't Block. They are going to get Burrow career injured very soon if they do not address it in a big way. It's not just The Super Bowl. The Browns, Steelers and Ravens will kill Burrow if Bengals don't get Burrow much more Blocking, and I mean Much More Blocking.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
If we are drafting an O-lineman at 31 to start - then we've done a terrible job in FA. There shouldn't be 1 rookie on this line to start the season. If you want to draft an O-lineman at 31 to be in competition, great, but we better not see an unproven guy starting day 1.
Reply/Quote
O line and 3T both need to be addressed. Maybe NT, too, depending upon how they feel about Shelvin’s progress. Which one they address first in the draft will be affected by what they do in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 04:29 PM)puddycat Wrote: There is a ton of youth on the OL.  We tend not to cut people under contract unless we have to.  This is a unit that needs veteran leadership.
OTOH , we don't have a penetrating IDL on the roster.  We seem set at DE, but like CB, it's always a position of need.

If we follow through on free agency, we will be drafting a developing player.  DT takes longer than OL to develop.  In general, OL seems harder to find in FA than any position but QB.  I just want to see BPA, and production over potential.

if we resign Larry and or  BJ , they have nice penetration and I think had around 7  sacks each last season?. I did se Akeem hicks is maybe hitting Free Agency....thats intruguing, of him lied up next to Reader  . 
 im always up for adding quality D lineman and CBs  
Reply/Quote
Hicks would be amazing next to Reader
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: O line and 3T both need to be addressed. Maybe NT, too, depending upon how they feel about Shelvin’s progress. Which one they address first in the draft will be affected by what they do in free agency.

Yep. I think much depends on what happens in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 01:33 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Hicks would be amazing next to Reader

Yeah he would. But should be expensive, need the OL upgraded in FA the most.

Bring back BJ Hill and draft Devonte Wyatt DT Georgia at 31.

Add Daniels, Corbett and Moses in FA for the OL and we could do this.

Wyatt has great feet and hands, think he could be better than Ogunjobi for us.
Reply/Quote
FA will heavily impact this pick.
If the OL isn't fully covered by draft day, OL is the favorite at 31.

If OL is covered....
Did the Bengals sign a worthy starting DT?
If not, DT definitely feasible at 31.
Did the Bengals re-sign or tag Bates?
If not, a FS could also definitely be in play at 31.

If the Bengals go into the draft with their starting safeties, OL, and DL all set, I'd actually lean CB as the choice at 31.

Next week needs to hurry up and get here. GIMME FREE AGENCY!!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote