Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG Who Dey
(02-09-2022, 03:25 AM)jace4655 Wrote: I'm not trying to be that guy here, but I cringe so hard anytime I see someone act like Mike brown had anything at all to do with this seasons success besides just dumb luck! There's a very simple reason the country is falling in love with the Bengals right now...its simply because we're the little underdogs who everyone has always felt sorry for...SIMPLY BECAUSE OF MIKE BROWN!!

I honestly want to think that the reason why we're in the Super Bowl, is because MB finally realized that he had to change how he ran this organization.  But, anyone who thinks that is honestly just lying to themselves! 

If you don't believe me, all that needs to be done to look for yourself at how we still have the smallest scouting department by a massive margin. 

Or, how we currently have millions and millions of unused cap space for this year's team. I believe we're in the bottom 5 of unused cap money for this year, and have the most to spend for next year. How much better could that O-line have been this year, if another 30 or 40 million would have been spent this past off-season? ( full disclosure...I'm not certain what the exact number us for this year. I'm assuming it's near that amount considering next year we will have around 50 mill I believe?)

Or how, the team has to still go to either a local high school,  or University of Cincinnati if the team wants to practice in an indoor practice field.  I honestly still can't believe that a local high school has one, but a NFL team in the same city doesn't!

There's countless more examples,  but I'm tired, and it's late. 

MB is hands down the worst thing that has ever happened to the city of Cincinnati,  and it's surrounding areas! I sincerely hope and pray that when it's time to hamd the Bengals the Lombardi trophy, MB isn't up there to accept it because he fell asleep on the toilet with 5 minutes left in the game and everyone forgot to wake him up! 

One last thing...I want to make it clear that I didn't criticize anyone else that you had listed. Even though I haven't agreed with many of their moves over the years, I sincerely do believe that the incompetence the organization has shown over the past decade that most of them have been involved with is for the most part, not due to them.  

I can totally respect this. You'll get some pushback but that's the Internet... Our collective memory is that of a goldfish lol. I think any team that gets this far relies on a ton of blind luck. During SB week we're tempted to lionize everyone involved and obsess over the need to re-up all the coaches and free agents--- and the media spoonfeeds us the material--- but the reality is more nuanced.

Having said that, I don't think now's the time to worry about it. We got here because of some factors and in spite of others- but we got here. The road was indeed long and painful- but we got here. I'm gonna enjoy it and plant my foot up the ass of all the hardship we've had to overcome.

Who f DEYYY

Tongue
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:25 AM)jace4655 Wrote:  I believe we're in the bottom 5 of unused cap money for this year, and have the most to spend for next year. How much better could that O-line have been this year, if another 30 or 40 million would have been spent this past off-season? ( full disclosure...I'm not certain what the exact number us for this year. I'm assuming it's near that amount considering next year we will have around 50 mill I believe?)

Bengals only had $6.5 million of unused cap space this year.  Just about league average.  So there is no way in hell we could have spent another $30-$40 million this past off season.  

Looks like you are the one lying to yourself.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 04:49 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I just shake my head at those who think because we had one winning playoff season in 31 years that everything is great.  The players and staff finally outperformed ownership.  They overcame unnecessary disadvantages.

So you have not noticed any changes in the way the Bengals deal with free agency over the last 2 years?

Really?

(02-09-2022, 04:49 AM)casear2727 Wrote: But MB still has final say, even on draft picks.  His ego knows no end, the fact we have never had a GM ever because he thinks he knows talent is so comical I want to cry. 

Link to source regarding Mike Brown making the final call on all draft picks?
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:25 AM)jace4655 Wrote: MB is hands down the worst thing that has ever happened to the city of Cincinnati,  and it's surrounding areas! I sincerely hope and pray that when it's time to hamd the Bengals the Lombardi trophy, MB isn't up there to accept it because he fell asleep on the toilet with 5 minutes left in the game and everyone forgot to wake him up! 

Just remember that Mike Brown has chosen to keep the team in Cincinnati, regardless of pressure (and I'm sure opportunity) to go elsewhere.  

He's stubborn.  He's not his dad.  He's tried to run things in an outdated fashion.  I don't disagree with any of that.  He was the cause of the dark ages for the org.  But in the last few years, they've made a lot of changes.  They've been highlighted in multiple threads.  Whether MB himself had anything to do with them, or they were the result of him stepping back and letting other people take charge doesn't matter.  He still made them possible.  And those are things every fan should celebrate.  

And I personally will be very happy for Mike and raise my glass to him on Sunday night when the Bengals hoist the Lombardi.  Because as much as the disaster of the last 30 years is on his shoulders, he also shares in the reasons for success now.  And hopefully it leads the team to dig in and continue on their path to improving the org as a whole. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 10:33 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Justin Thomas is a Kentucky dude, he might be wearing a Who-Dey shirt or something.

Heard Justin is a Bengals fan. To the OP, yeah, made me chuckle, this is a cool time. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 01:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you have not noticed any changes in the way the Bengals deal with free agency over the last 2 years?

Really?

Link to source regarding Mike Brown making the final call on all draft picks?

Did these quotes not acknowledge that?

"I absolutely believe things have gotten better since Katie took over much of the operation."

"The personnel dept did well in Free Agency the last couple of years"

Source of MB having final call on draft picks: Zac Taylor, multiple times, when asked about the pick, he said MB approved it.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 02:16 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Just remember that Mike Brown has chosen to keep the team in Cincinnati, regardless of pressure (and I'm sure opportunity) to go elsewhere.  

He's stubborn.  He's not his dad.  He's tried to run things in an outdated fashion.  I don't disagree with any of that.  He was the cause of the dark ages for the org.  But in the last few years, they've made a lot of changes.  They've been highlighted in multiple threads.  Whether MB himself had anything to do with them, or they were the result of him stepping back and letting other people take charge doesn't matter.  He still made them possible.  And those are things every fan should celebrate.  

And I personally will be very happy for Mike and raise my glass to him on Sunday night when the Bengals hoist the Lombardi.  Because as much as the disaster of the last 30 years is on his shoulders, he also shares in the reasons for success now.  And hopefully it leads the team to dig in and continue on their path to improving the org as a whole. 

I have zero doubt MB is the worst owner in NFL history for a number of reasons. But I am very glad he has kept the team in Cincy. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 05:53 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I have zero doubt MB is the worst owner in NFL history for a number of reasons. But I am very glad he has kept the team in Cincy. 

I dunno, though.  There are some pretty awful owners.  Some of them just not good humans.  Many of them selfish.  We're talking a league with Jerry Jones, Robert Craft and Dan Snyder.  Saying MB is the worst owner might be a little narrow. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 06:09 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I dunno, though.  There are some pretty awful owners.  Some of them just not good humans.  Many of them selfish.  We're talking a league with Jerry Jones, Robert Craft and Dan Snyder.  Saying MB is the worst owner might be a little narrow. 

Im not concerned with personalities. Every person in a NFL organization has a job to do. In my opinion, the job of the owner is to provide the necessary resources that maximizes the team's success.  He has failed horribly over the years compared to every other owner. I get that he is the only owner without outside income and makes his living off the team, which limits resources.

Players Association demanding a much higher Spending  Floor, due to cheap owners, a couple years ago most likely contributed to our increase spending, along with input from Katie and others.  So hopefully we remain competitive in Free Agency, not to mention identifying the right guys.  Duke's team has done a hell of a job the last 2 off-seasons (minus Waynes but a miss will happen).

We have lived through not providing towels for showers, coach middle seat airline tickets for visiting FA's (NG nonetheless), and other very cheap embarrassments.  I wont get into his odd belief that he is a NFL GM, we should have had one long ago. Duke & Katie and others have that pretty much worked out now.

I do believe Duke needs more than 6 scouts, every other team in our division have over 20 people. As well as Duke and the gang have done in free agency lately their misses on oline draftees have been terrible. 1 solid starter in 10 years is unacceptable. 3 #1 draft busts in 4 years is devastating.

Other positions we seem to do well enough but oline has been rough.

Im sure Mike is a great guy, we all know that it was rumored he wasnt 20 years ago, but recently players and coaches seem to genuinely like him. So not a knock to his character or friendliness, but Andy Dalton is also a super nice high character guy as well... but he didnt produce at a championship level, I believe that ownership should be just as accountable as players and coaches in order to have sustained success.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 06:09 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I dunno, though.  There are some pretty awful owners.  Some of them just not good humans.  Many of them selfish.  We're talking a league with Jerry Jones, Robert Craft and Dan Snyder.  Saying MB is the worst owner might be a little narrow. 

Stan Kroenke may be the worst of the worst.
Reply/Quote