Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OPT OUT question
I read that players who are opting out are basically getting an advance on their salaries into next yr. My question is how does this work with players that are not a lock to make the team next yr? What if they get cut etc? I see Topou being a bubble player for us next yr, as Im sure we will be drafting some DTs high next yr.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 12:27 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I read that players who are opting out are basically getting an advance on their salaries into next yr. My question is how does this work with players that are not a lock to make the team next yr? What if they get cut etc?   I see Topou being a bubble player for us next yr, as Im sure we will be drafting some DTs high next yr.

They still have to pay it back. Tupou's contract as a restricted FA that he signed this year is carried over to next and he is under that contract for $2.133 million, with a $150k bonus. Funny for for him, the $150k salary he is getting this year, that he has to pay back, basically just zeroes out his bonus. 
Reply/Quote
I’ve looked but never could find out any info. Once they opt out can they change their mind?
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 06:09 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: I’ve looked but never could find out any info.  Once they opt out can they change their mind?

No they are locked in to the opt-out for the season.  However, players that are not on rosters and say they are opting out can still play as they are not on a team and isn't considered binding.

Source:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29607350/takeaways-deadline-players-opting-2020-nfl-season-coronavirus-concerns

Quote:Opt-out decisions for players on rosters are irrevocable -- i.e., if you opt out, you can't opt back in
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 12:27 PM)kalibengal Wrote:  My question is how does this work with players that are not a lock to make the team next yr? What if they get cut etc?  

Opt out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more.
Reply/Quote
Just for the record, players contracts are tolled to the next season and they cannot be released or traded.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote