Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OT Fred Johnson Praises Pollack!
I've been worried about this season, as I've mentioned A THOUSAND TIMES BEFORE, because we now have the weapons, but we can't do anything if the line doesn't open holes for Mixon and allow Burrow to get the ball to the receivers/tight ends.

Pieces like these about players like Fred Johnson praising Pollack's approach are giving me hope!

Quote:Bengals fans rejoiced when news broke that Cincinnati was moving on from Jim Turner after the offensive line hit rock bottom the past two seasons. There was a chorus of praise when the team then went out and brought back Frank Pollack who was the team’s offensive line coach in 2018 when Joe Mixon led the AFC in rushing.

We as fans haven’t really gotten a chance to see the difference in play yet. However, offensive linemen have been excited about the return of Pollack to the coaching staff. The most recent player to speak publicly about it was Fred Johnson. He even notes that he has been following “The Pollack Way,” via Bengals.com Geoff Hobson.

“Technique, for sure. Technique has to be to a tee what Pollack wants. You try to do everything correct the first time. I say, ‘You do it right, you do it light. You do it wrong, you do it long.’

I love that for sure because something that's always plagued this franchise has been lack of execution and not paying attention to details, which is big when we're talking about protecting Burrow. Pollack's making them do it right and making sure they improve each day in practice.

This writer seems to agree with me:

Quote:It is always good to hear that offensive linemen are excited that they have a guy making sure they are improving the little things about their game. It makes you wonder what they were dealing with when Turner was at the helm.

I love this part because all good offensive lines seem to have a brotherhood and they're a family with one goal: BLOCK, and they take pride in that goal, so being together more helps with the sense of accomplishment:

Quote:It is always good to hear that offensive linemen are excited that they have a guy making sure they are improving the little things about their game. It makes you wonder what they were dealing with when Turner was at the helm.

Them knowing that has to get them excited to play.

Now, it seems like they're taking pride in their play:

Quote:Johnson also hinted at the idea that he wanted to have more reps at guard so he could be even more versatile. He is just starting to get healthy again, and his return can’t come soon enough as the depth at tackle could really use him.

Whatever helps in Burrow being able to step into throws and not get his knee blown up again, I'm all for, so build the interior of the line.

ThumbsUp

Quote:Hopefully Johnson and the other offensive linemen who have praised Pollack show that the product has improved due to all this work. The ultimate goal remains to be able to protect Joe Burrow no matter what. Johnson, who wasn’t even playing at the time of the injury, still takes that injury personally.

“I don’t think we have that taste out of our mouth at all. It still lingers,” Johnson said. “Joe still has the scar on his knee. I mean, I see it every day. I wasn’t even playing that day. It’s just something in the back of our minds. We can’t allow this to occur again. He’s putting a lot of trust in us, we have to have him, let him have his faith and confidence in this O-line.”

Here is hoping that Burrow has nothing to worry about in 2021.

I'm starting to get excited about this season! We could prove a lot of people wrong!
Reply/Quote
It's all just talk until the O-line proves they are better when the regular season begins.
Reply/Quote
Johnson was playing guard when he was with the Steelers. But we have a log jam of guys wanting to get reps at OG and are very thin at OT.
Reply/Quote
I love how all these comments from the Olinemen are basically "For the last two years, we had a rabid baboon leading the Offensive line unit, but now we have a human being, and that's a really nice change of pace for us."
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 09:00 AM)Fullrock Wrote: It's all just talk until the O-line proves they are better when the regular season begins.

That's right!  

Let's all be surly, grumpy and negative until it's absolutely proven that our current OLine is great!  You people are allowed no hope, no positive attitudes and must remain gloomy no matter what positive news is shared.  Silly people.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 11:37 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I love how all these comments from the Olinemen are basically "For the last two years, we had a rabid baboon leading the Offensive line unit, but now we have a human being, and that's a really nice change of pace for us."

Yeah.  Kinda scary isn't it?
Reply/Quote
Not just a rabid baboon but one that promoted bad technique and footwork.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 11:42 AM)Stewy Wrote: That's right!  

Let's all be surly, grumpy and negative until it's absolutely proven that our current OLine is great!  You people are allowed no hope, no positive attitudes and must remain gloomy no matter what positive news is shared.  Silly people.

Agreed. No matter the past this attitude of just having to talk down anything the Bengals do gets old. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 12:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: Agreed. No matter the past this attitude of just having to talk down anything the Bengals do gets old. 

People are how they are, but you're right it gets old.
Reply/Quote
More good stuff on Pollack, love hearing this coming from backups too, we need our depth to be muchly improved this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 11:42 AM)Stewy Wrote: That's right!  

Wow, a player came out and praised his position coach! Print the playoff tickets!

I see better than I hear with this organization. Talk is cheap after 31 years without a playoff win. Show me and I'm on board. Silly homers.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 11:37 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Wow, a player came out and praised his position coach! Print the playoff tickets!

I see better than I hear with this organization. Talk is cheap after 31 years without a playoff win. Show me and I'm on board. Silly homers.

blah blah blah
Reply/Quote
I believe if the talent is there, Frank will get the most out of it. We've improved the talent a bit. Is it enough is the only question. I recall Pollack's first year in Cincy, when I read about his drills and equipment he brought (like the return of the chute), I was stoked. Talent was lacking then....and it was abysmal last season, coupled with bad coaching. If these guys are even decent, his coaching should allow them to really improve.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2021, 12:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: I believe if the talent is there, Frank will get the most out of it. We've improved the talent a bit. Is it enough is the only question. I recall Pollack's first year in Cincy, when I read about his drills and equipment he brought (like the return of the chute), I was stoked. Talent was lacking then....and it was abysmal last season, coupled with bad coaching. If these guys are even decent, his coaching should allow them to really improve.

That's the question, isn't it? The coaching is better, the players are better, but are they better enough? 
A top notch FA guard would have been the best move this offseason. For once, this front office could have undeniably and unequivocally put it's money where it's mouth was. But they didn't. Now we wait and see...
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/7/6/21312946/interview-bengals-ot-fred-johnson-loves-the-culture-being-established-in-cincinnati-jim-turner

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2021, 12:49 AM)Stewy Wrote: blah blah blah

What's hilarious is all I said was the O-line, which was one of the worst in the league last year, needed to prove itself once the regular season starts, and somehow that offended you. Don't be so soft. It's common sense. 
Reply/Quote
Tonight will be a measuring stick game. Washington has one of, if not the best D-line in the league.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 12:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: Agreed. No matter the past this attitude of just having to talk down anything the Bengals do gets old. 

Im confused is that not what we have been doing since ZT took over ? so now after 2 years of as you state "talking down" the Bengals it not acceptable to talk down the Bengals now.. seems like a double standard, don;t you think ?
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2021, 06:48 AM)Fullrock Wrote: What's hilarious is all I said was the O-line, which was one of the worst in the league last year, needed to prove itself once the regular season starts, and somehow that offended you. Don't be so soft. It's common sense. 

Totally agree regular season is the real test and if we are judging on preseason 1st game for the Oline was still a mix bag.. we had good pass protection but only ran for 3.3 yards a carry, so lets put together a complete game tonight running the ball and continue to pass protect and it will be a nice feeling 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2021, 11:20 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Im confused is that not what we have been doing since ZT took over ? so now after 2 years of as you state "talking down" the Bengals it not acceptable to talk down the Bengals now.. seems like a double standard, don;t you think ?

Not a double standard. Note I said the issue is this attitude of talking down everything the bengals do. There is a middle ground between being a sycophant and talking everything down. 
Reply/Quote