Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
OT Jordan Mills visiting
(04-01-2019, 10:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I hate to say it but this is EXACTLY what everyone said about Hart last year.

Yep. Now he makes 7 million a year getting Dalton killed.
Reply/Quote
That's our Bengals. Leaving no stone unturned, in their never ending quest to improve the team. Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 12:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's our Bengals.  Leaving no stone unturned, in their never ending quest to improve the team.   Ninja

They do have a knack of finding obscure starters from around the league who are worse than people we currently start.

Maybe this is Troy Blackburn's April Fools way of paying back the people who complained about Hart?
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Is 28 really young?

He's rated 56.0 by PFF which is the #70 Tackle.

Here's his PFF write-up:

Jordan Mills has been an example of consistency, as he’s played over 1,000 snaps in each of the past three seasons, making him one of only seven tackles to do so. He is still only 28 years old, but he has never surpassed his career-high 62.7 overall grade, which came in his final season with the Chicago Bears. At this point in his career, Mills has proven that he can be a stable backup offensive lineman in this league but not a quality starter for a team.

Since 2016, Mills has led the Buffalo Bills in total pressures allowed and has posted the lowest pass-blocking grade among the team’s qualifying offensive lineman. The ceiling hasn’t been very high for Mills thus far in his career, only earning a game grade above 80.0 just once since entering the league in 2013 (Week 13 vs. DAL, 83.9). However, Mills’ strengths have changed since coming to Buffalo from Chicago. After earning a higher run-blocking grade than pass-blocking grade each of the two seasons in the windy city, Mills has improved his pass blocking while his run blocking has taken a dip. His 47.7 run-blocking grade in 2018 ranked 77th out of 85 qualifying tackles.

For O linemen? Yes. Many go into their mid 30's. As a swing tackle he has experience playing which tends to be the thing you look for there. When they go in it's normally after getting few reps all week and with little game experience. 

I'm not saying this is a good move, I'm just saying it was kind of an expected move. We knew we were going to add a veteran still and he is basically the type of veteran you'd have as a 4th or 5th tackle option. I think if he gets a contract what you are looking for is a 1 year deal or two with low guarantee because it means they structured it to be cutable post camp if the draft falls their way. 
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 10:15 AM)pally Wrote: Buffalo FA right tackle Jordan Mills will be visiting Cincinnati tonight and tomorrow.  28 out of Louisiana Tech. He’s 6’5” and 316lbs.  Started all games for the last 3 years.

Didn't we lose 3 tackles from our 2018 roster? Smith, Ced. and Fisher. Maybe they project him as a back up, if so my guess much better than Fisher and Ced.

Fans complain of our depth when guys get hurt, then complain when the team tries to add depth/competition???
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mr. Negative.  Hilarious

Hey, his play on the field has proven it, across 2 (3?) different systems; not good at all.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Is 28 really young?

He's rated 56.0 by PFF which is the #70 Tackle.

Here's his PFF write-up:

Jordan Mills has been an example of consistency, as he’s played over 1,000 snaps in each of the past three seasons, making him one of only seven tackles to do so. He is still only 28 years old, but he has never surpassed his career-high 62.7 overall grade, which came in his final season with the Chicago Bears. At this point in his career, Mills has proven that he can be a stable backup offensive lineman in this league but not a quality starter for a team.

Since 2016, Mills has led the Buffalo Bills in total pressures allowed and has posted the lowest pass-blocking grade among the team’s qualifying offensive lineman. The ceiling hasn’t been very high for Mills thus far in his career, only earning a game grade above 80.0 just once since entering the league in 2013 (Week 13 vs. DAL, 83.9). However, Mills’ strengths have changed since coming to Buffalo from Chicago. After earning a higher run-blocking grade than pass-blocking grade each of the two seasons in the windy city, Mills has improved his pass blocking while his run blocking has taken a dip. His 47.7 run-blocking grade in 2018 ranked 77th out of 85 qualifying tackles.

28 is young for an offensive lineman. 
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:41 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How would bringing this guy in to potentially sign be evidence that we'd be adding 2 tackles in the draft?

IF anything, signing him would mean we would only draft 1.

If they sign him, I think that frees them up to take a Linebacker in the 1st, and maybe another one or a DE in the 2nd, and then get what they can get from the remaining Olinemen left in round 3. I'm not sure I agree with waiting that long to get a tackle, but the draft is deep this year with offensive linemen, and Linebacker HAS to be addressed early.... I think they are just hedging their bets against Hart imploding by bringing him in
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:58 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yep.  Now he makes 7 million a year getting Dalton killed.

Except he's not really....
Reply/Quote
It's pretty funny that the Bengals swore up and down they had no choice but to extend Hart and there were no other options out there but here they are bringing in a guy who's pretty similar to Hart, except he's a few years older.

God forbid if this guy actually ends up slightly playing less subpar than Hart as he did in comparison to Ogbuehi and Fisher. They'd be banking their season on another bad RT.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 12:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If they sign him, I think that frees them up to take a Linebacker in the 1st, and maybe another one or a DE in the 2nd, and then get what they can get from the remaining Olinemen left in round 3. I'm not sure I agree with waiting that long to get a tackle, but the draft is deep this year with offensive linemen, and Linebacker HAS to be addressed early.... I think they are just hedging their bets against Hart imploding by bringing him in

Theoretically they have their starting OT spots set...but need a starting LB.

What would Hart 'imploding' look like? He was one of the worst starting tackles this past year. He was one of 4-5 tackles that gave up 10 or more sacks.

I agree though, LB likely has to be addressed within the 1st couple rounds.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 12:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Didn't we lose 3 tackles from our 2018 roster? Smith, Ced. and Fisher. Maybe they project him as a back up, if so my guess much better than Fisher and Ced.

Fans complain of our depth when guys get hurt, then complain when the team tries to add depth/competition???

We can replace some of these with practice squad players and a couple of our 6th round picks.

All will likely have more upside and potential then these "upgrades" we see being brought in.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I wonder if the Bengals realize we're allowed to sign free agents from teams other than the Giants and Bills?
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 01:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder if the Bengals realize we're allowed to sign free agents from teams other than the Giants and Bills?

Blasphemy

Reply/Quote
Is he better than Bobby Hart? Thats all i want to know.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Rumour is that he is just using us to get a better offer from the Texans.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 01:23 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Is he better than Bobby Hart? Thats all i want to know.

Not really. They're about the same player.

Hart is a little better run blocking. This guy is a little better pass blocking.

If you could merge them into 1 player, that player would still be bad.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 10:15 AM)pally Wrote: Buffalo FA right tackle Jordan Mills will be visiting Cincinnati tonight and tomorrow. 28 out of Louisiana Tech. He’s 6’5” and 316lbs. Started all games for the last 3 years.

Well he is definately better than Og as a backup, might even be better than Hart as a backup.

We needed another OT for depth anyways, nothing wrong with this as long as we still draft a RT high.
Reply/Quote
Let’s up a lot of pressures, sacks, and commits decent amount of penalties..... 3 year 21 mil?
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
I've got no problem with this guy being brought in as a backup swing Tackle. He's made every start for the past 3 seasons, so at least they know that he's not going to pee down his leg, if he does get put in a game. Yeah, he's not great. But ask yourself this; How comfortable would you be if the Bengals went into the draft, without even having any sort of backup plan?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote