Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT Signed Simulation
The piece I have been waiting for to really make this draft wide open for the Bengals arrived in the form of Trent Brown. Without Trent Brown I felt that J.C. Latham had to be the selection as he is the one RT prospect that was absolutely ready to step in on day 1 and be NFL ready. That does not necessarily mean I feel he is the highest ceiling OT in the draft but that he was not going to need some development time to take the job to start in '24. So with the signing of Brown my philosophy opened up considerably. 

Here is the post Trent Brown signing simulation:

Reply/Quote
RD. 1 - 18th Selection:
Amarius Mims - OT - Georgia - 6'8" 340

I believe that Mims may have one of the highest ceilings of any offensive line player in this draft. He is massive and athletic and showed in the '22 Peach Bowl that the stage is not too big or him. He is naturally powerful and athletic and brings elite size and length to the position. While only having 8 collegiate starts to his credit he is a kid that plays with really solid technique. With the signing of Trent Brown I believe it sets the Bengals up perfectly for the Bengals to take a player of this caliber who may need to watch and develop a bit before being thrown into the starting position on day 1. 

Latham and Fuaga where still on the board but the Bengals go with the high ceiling of a kid that has the potential to be a dominating right or left tackle at the NFL level but will have the opportunity to ease himself into the role. I feel this is an extremely great selection for the future of the franchise.

RD. 2 - 46th Selection:
T'Vondre Sweat - DT - Texas - 6'4.5" 366

The one position that was not addressed in free agency, especially with the loss of DJ Reader, has to be NT. With no traditional NT available in the first round the Bengals go with an extremely high ceiling selection for the future in Mims. Not wanting to gamble that Sweat is still on the board at 49 the Bengals trade the 49th and 224th selections to Indy or the 46th selection. Sweat give the Bengals a day 1 NT to hopefully fill the huge void left with the departure of Reader. 

In Sweat the Bengals get a prototype NT who was the Outland Trophy winner and has drawn comparisons to Sam Adams and Vita Vea and that is pretty good company to be in if you are a NT. Sweat is a massive specimen that is virtually immovable when he sits down and anchors. Has the brute force to take on and consistently defeat double teams and while run stopping is his strong suit he does have the power and ability to collapse a pocket in the passing game. Stopping the run in the AFC North is an absolute must so this selection is as big as the man himself.

RD. 3 - 80th Selection:
Brenden Rice - WR- USC - 6'2" 208

In Rice the Bengals add an accomplished route runner, that like his father, uses sharpness and suddenness in his cuts and breaks to create separation. The bottom line to offense is scoring TDs and Rice did that to the tune of a TD every 5.2 receptions. He is a physical receiver that usually wins on 50/50 balls and that will not get out muscled by physical corners. While Rice is not a track star he does have enough speed and savvy to test the backend of a defense. Rice is very good at working his way back to the QB and making himself open when the QB is under pressure. With the loss of Tyler Boyd and the impending loss of Higgins, Rice will be a welcome addition to the WR room.

RD. 3 - 97th Selection:
Jaylen Wright - RB - Tennessee - 5'10.5" 210

The Bengals have positioned themselves well with the draft of Chase Brown in '23 and the signing of Zack Moss at the RB position but when you have a player the caliber of Wright sitting there you do not pass on it. Wright is absolutely explosive and has elite long speed when he gets in the open field. In general Wright plays with extremely good vision but he needs to trust that vision a bit more at times. How explosive was he in '23? 25.4% of his carries went for 10 yards or more. Wright has displayed very good hands as a receiver and the ability to produce yards after he makes the catch. As with most young backs Wright will need to continue to develop as a pass protector but he also is not terrible at this aspect of the game.

RD. 4 - 115th Selection:
Cade Stover - TE - Ohio State - 6'4" 247

You really cannot get a better or more fitting description than his acquired nickname for the Bucks and that was "Farmer Gronk". Stover is a physical receiver that has really good hands and good speed for the position. Stover is an accomplished route runner that does not round off breaks and cuts but snaps in and out of them crisply and the ability to task a defense at all three levels. He is a hard worker that leaves it all on the field when he is out there. Great locker room presence and leader. Stover will be an outstanding addition to the Bengals TE room and his work ethic could very well earn him early snaps.

RD. 5 - 149th Selection:
Elijah Jones - CB - Boston College - 6'1.5" 185

Jones brings good size, speed, and length to the position to go along with elite ball skills. The Bengals need to add depth to the secondary room with the loss of Awuzie in free agency and the uncertain availability of DJ Ivey after his late season injury in '23. Jones is versed in both man and off coverage and has excelled as a zone defender where he can use his outstanding speed and reaction to break on throw. Jones proved a ballhawk during the '23 season where he tallied 5 INTs for the Eagles defense to go along with 9 passes defensed. He will need to continue to develop his physicality in run support but overall a pretty sound CB addition.

RD. 6 - 194th Selection:
Brandon Coleman - OL - TCU - 6'4.5" 313

Coleman brings tackle/guard versatility but his home in the NFL should be at guard where he has put his best work on tape. He brings excellent size and length to the position and wins with good technique and overall solid hand usage. Coleman anchors well against power as a pass protector and while he is not a dominating run blocker he is efficient and gets the job done. This could improve as his overall strength improves at the next level. Coleman started for 3 years at TCU and was selected as a team captain for the '23 campaign.

RD. 6 - 214th Selection:
Khristian Boyd - DT - N. Iowa - 6'2" 329

Boyd earned a Shrine Bowl invite as a small school player but he showed up and put on display the fact that he could compete at that level and was often dominant in practices or the event. Not only did the Bengals lose Reader in free agency but they also lack depth at the NT position beyond starter. Could Boyd be a rotational piece that could develop into a dominant NT at the NFL level? Boyd has dominated at the FCS level but showed at the Shrine game that he had not problem handling FBS talent. He plays with very violent hands and has the power to anchor against double teams. It is his outstanding hand usage and leverage that allows him to defeat double teams and make plays behind the line of scrimmage. 

RD. 7 - 237th Selection:
Brennan Jackson - DE - Washington State - 6'4" 264

When I watch film of Jackson I immediately think of Sam Hubbard. Just like Hubbard, Jackson is relentless and refuses to be out worked. He does not stop until the whistle is blown. While he may not possess elite athletic traits or elite natural ability he wins thru and nonstop motor and relentless drive. I love the statement about him that he plays like he really loves the game of football and that he never wants the game to end and when you watch film on him that sentiment presents itself over and over. The kid is just a fierce competitor that is going to make everyone around him work harder.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 09:01 PM)OSUfan Wrote: The piece I have been waiting for to really make this draft wide open for the Bengals arrived in the form of Trent Brown. Without Trent Brown I felt that J.C. Latham had to be the selection as he is the one RT prospect that was absolutely ready to step in on day 1 and be NFL ready. That does not necessarily mean I feel he is the highest ceiling OT in the draft but that he was not going to need some development time to take the job to start in '24. So with the signing of Brown my philosophy opened up considerably. 

Here is the post Trent Brown signing simulation:

It’s solid. Really want them to get Leonard Taylor maason smith or Gabe hall along with either Mckinnley Jackson or sweat like u have. Don’t know if they go tight end but maybe if Cade is BPA there
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 11:56 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: It’s solid.  Really want them to get Leonard Taylor maason smith or Gabe hall along with either Mckinnley Jackson or sweat like u have.  Don’t know if they go tight end but maybe if Cade is BPA there

Pretty much every player taken outside of the top three were near best player available. The top three were as well only they leaned a bit more toward need with these selections and tried to make the best compromise between most immediate needs and BPA.
Reply/Quote