Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT contenders
(01-06-2019, 10:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I was following your logic just fine, until we got to the bolded parts.  Why would you move Boling from LG to RG, or even have Boling potentially on the bench, sitting behind Westerman?  

Another thought that I have is;  If the Bengals go all-in on a free agent LT (again) for someone like Bushrod, I would certainly think that Cordy Glenn would no longer be a Bengal.  His salary is just too much to keep him at any other position than LT.  In light of how poorly Glenn appeared this year, I could see him just simply being cut.

I am just spit-balling and brainstorming, so it doesn't really have to make sense just thinking outside the norm.

Basically, it is open competition on the Line.  I want the BEST players to play.  If Westerman is good but Boling does better at RG, then play Boling.  I don't doubt Bushrod is better than Glenn, so if we were to pursue JB and actually get him to sign, then the question becomes what to do with Glenn?  Either he plays back up to Bushrod (injuries do happen), moves over to the RT spot (but what if we were to get James, is Glenn better than James?  What about draft pick?)  or inside to OG.  We KNOW Glenn can play LG and at a high level, so that would be a place for him. 

Boling is good as well, the question is which one is better at the spot?  I personally think Glenn would be the better player and as you have pointed out would be an expensive back up (though there are precedents to paying a lot for someone to just be a back up).  Boling would then be a back up LG, in the event that someone is dinged up, then we know that shuffling the line wouldn't be a complete disaster.

I don't know if I would agree that a person has to play a certain spot due to their salary.  My opinion is that type of thinking can hold you back from being a winner.  Sure conventional wisdom is that a LT is paid the highest on the line, but that shouldn't diminish the importance of some of the other spots.  If you already have a guy that in a pinch can play LT, but is better as a LG and a shot at a top tier LT, then sign the top LT. If that means you have 2 guys being paid a lot of money then so be it, who cares what position they are playing, as long as they are playing at a high level.

Our line was the biggest weakness for a few years now.  While Price did struggle, I don't think he is wasted yet.  So that is one player that we have.  We need to find 4 others to pair with him, and just in case, have a good to great quality back ups to account for injuries so that would be 6 or 7 players.

Again, just throwing out ideas as to things that I would like to see to hopefully turn this franchise around and get back to the postseason.  Who knows maybe even win while there.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 12:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think WalterFootball is a joke, so I'd probably not put much stock in them. I don't believe for a second people have Taylor over Jonah Williams.

Right. WalterFootball has had some really high misses and have shown time and time again that not only does he nor not watch tape but make up rumors.

Now he does have some decent lists and I appreciate the prospects that he names.
But
He just throws stuff out there. I remember he talked about Josh Allen having a great Senior Bowl and looking better than anyone there; which was the exact opposite of what everyone else was saying.

I mean, he also just goes by stats for a lot of "games" he says he scouts. Throw in bias that you can clearly see in his writings.

He gave the Bengals a F grade for firing Marvin Lewis; saying he saw them making the playoffs if they had their players healthy.
Meanwhile, before the season, he predicted the Bengals would go 6-10.

He's great for starting off, but there's wayyyyyyyyy better places.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:21 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Right. WalterFootball has had some really high misses and have shown time and time again that not only does he nor not watch tape but make up rumors.

Now he does have some decent lists and I appreciate the prospects that he names.
But
He just throws stuff out there. I remember he talked about Josh Allen having a great Senior Bowl and looking better than anyone there; which was the exact opposite of what everyone else was saying.

I mean, he also just goes by stats for a lot of "games" he says he scouts. Throw in bias that you can clearly see in his writings.

He gave the Bengals a F grade for firing Marvin Lewis; saying he saw them making the playoffs if they had their players healthy.
Meanwhile, before the season, he predicted the Bengals would go 6-10.

He's great for starting off, but there's wayyyyyyyyy better places.

Walter usually has a good number of prospects listed with brief descriptions compared to many sites I've seen (especially since CBS has changed analysts and format to just top 100), so I agree it's a good place to start to get familiar with names. But he's usually off about the rounds they go. He also doesn't really scout much, he relays information from what his "sources" tell him.

As for the draft itself, Jonah Williams reminds me a lot of Mike McGlinchey. Most would think he's the no-brainer top OT with practically no weaknesses in his game, but people are overthinking just like they did with McGlinchey. Taylor MAY end up being better but there's a LOT more risk with him compared to Williams. I'd be all in favor of the Bengals trading up for Jonah Williams. He, Nick Bosa, and Quinnen Williams are the only three guys I'd for sure want more than Devin White. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
NFL.com's first mock with Bengals taking Cody Ford. I think I could warm up to that idea, given the correct OL coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 02:54 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: NFL.com's first mock with Bengals taking Cody Ford. I think I could warm up to that idea, given the correct OL coach.

Not me. Ford is a late 1st early second round player who projects to be a guard.  The gap between Ford and lindstrom is  minimal. Give me.white and Lindstrom over Ford and some second rate lber.
Reply/Quote
Jpoore, what are your thoughts on martez ivey?

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 04:19 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Not me. Ford is a late 1st early second round player who projects to be a guard.  The gap between Ford and lindstrom is  minimal. Give me.white and Lindstrom over Ford and some second rate lber.

Cody Ford is being mentioned at guard because he played guard in 2016 and 2017 but he played at a high level at Right Tackle in 2018. He will be drafted to play tackle and have to fail outside before he's moved inside to guard.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 04:19 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Not me. Ford is a late 1st early second round player who projects to be a guard.  The gap between Ford and lindstrom is  minimal. Give me.white and Lindstrom over Ford and some second rate lber.

Agree, he's not the man at 11.  Although, I do like him as a prospect for RT.  If he were there in the 2nd, I'd love to see the Bengals make him our new RT.  Everything that I read about him says "classic RT", as in powerful, dominating run blocker.  Seems to play a little high, and is inconsistent with his footwork in pass protection.  (but that is what OL coaches are for, right?)  And, if it didn't work out?  They could always kick him in to RG.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like Ford. I spent a lot of the playoff game against Alabama, watching Ford specifically and he was impressive vs. that talented Bama line.

I still rank him below Williams, Little and Taylor. That’s mostly based on potentially higher ceilings.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 06:33 PM)Synric Wrote: Cody Ford is being mentioned at guard because he played guard in 2016 and 2017 but he played at a high level at Right Tackle in 2018. He will be drafted to play tackle and have to fail outside before he's moved inside to guard.

(01-19-2019, 06:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree, he's not the man at 11.  Although, I do like him as a prospect for RT.  If he were there in the 2nd, I'd love to see the Bengals make him our new RT.  Everything that I read about him says "classic RT", as in powerful, dominating run blocker.  Seems to play a little high, and is inconsistent with his footwork in pass protection.  (but that is what OL coaches are for, right?)  And, if it didn't work out?  They could always kick him in to RG.
He's a cordy Glenn clone. In rd2 I'm jumping all over him. But at 11? Hell no. Give me white, or wr1 Harry, or even dremont Jones over Ford in 1.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 06:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree, he's not the man at 11.  Although, I do like him as a prospect for RT.  If he were there in the 2nd, I'd love to see the Bengals make him our new RT.  Everything that I read about him says "classic RT", as in powerful, dominating run blocker.  Seems to play a little high, and is inconsistent with his footwork in pass protection.  (but that is what OL coaches are for, right?)  And, if it didn't work out?  They could always kick him in to RG.

He was also dominant in pass protection allowing only 6 pressures (0 QB hits 0 sacks). He was good against both power and speed.

What makes Ford such a great player is how mean and violent he plays...It was not uncommon to see the player he was blocking on the ground when the whistle blows. He's really fun to watch.

Don't take my word for it see for yourself.

https://youtu.be/lc5at51XJ9k
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 10:36 AM)Synric Wrote: He was also dominant in pass protection allowing only 6 pressures (0 QB hits 0 sacks). He was good against both power and speed.

What makes Ford such a great player is how mean and violent he plays...It was not uncommon to see the player he was blocking on the ground when the whistle blows. He's really fun to watch.

Here's a good breakdown on Cody Ford.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 03:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's a good breakdown on Cody Ford.  

It's a good breakdown. I like where he mentions how even though Ford gets a little off balance he has the athleticism to reset and drop anchor quickly. That skip pull from a 340 lb man is crazy.

He's right that Ford will have to show if he has a smooth step out of the 3 point stance. Which is what the combine and pro says are for...

Right now I have Ford as my number 2 tackle behind Williams. Risner at 3 and Taylor at 4.

Reply/Quote
I'd rather go with White at #11 and Risner in round 2.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Andre Dillard OT Washington State is one I am watching at the Senior Bowl as a possible round 2 Tackle. He can pass protect but I have questions on his power. If he can hold up against some of the bull rush he will see this week I am sold on him.
Reply/Quote

(01-20-2019, 10:36 AM)Synric Wrote: He was also dominant in pass protection allowing only 6 pressures (0 QB hits 0 sacks). He was good against both power and speed.

I'm thinking he may move up ?

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/22/2019-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-daniel-jeremiah-cody-ford/
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 02:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm thinking he may move up ?

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/22/2019-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-daniel-jeremiah-cody-ford/

If you're going to run an offense similar to LA, you need a mean-ass RT that will knock some people on their butts in the running game.  Cody Ford appears more than capable of doing just that.  At first, I had some concerns about his pass blocking, from a "scouting report" that I had read.  Since then, I've taken the time to actually watch some film that breaks down what he's doing in each aspect of the game.  Now, I'm fairly convinced that the concerns expressed in the initial scouting report were a bit overblown, or just plain bias on the part of the author of the report.

Right now, I'm still convinced that Ford will be around in the middle of the 1st round.  Come draft night, if the Bengals really want him, I would have no issues if they took him, or even traded back a couple spots and picked up an extra 2nd round pick in the process, to take him.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 06:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you're going to run an offense similar to LA, you need a mean-ass RT that will knock some people on their butts in the running game.  Cody Ford appears more than capable of doing just that.  At first, I had some concerns about his pass blocking, from a "scouting report" that I had read.  Since then, I've taken the time to actually watch some film that breaks down what he's doing in each aspect of the game.  Now, I'm fairly convinced that the concerns expressed in the initial scouting report were a bit overblown, or just plain bias on the part of the author of the report.

Right now, I'm still convinced that Ford will be around in the middle of the 1st round.  Come draft night, if the Bengals really want him, I would have no issues if they took him, or even traded back a couple spots and picked up an extra 2nd round pick in the process, to take him.  

Agree

I think a lot of what they do is going to hinge on free agency and who they can get there ? I'm thinking with all the change going on they're going to be active, this time for real unlike seasons past.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 07:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

I think a lot of what they do is going to hinge on free agency and who they can get there ? I'm thinking with all the change going on they're going to be active, this time for real unlike seasons past.

The way that I see it, proven and effective OL are going to cost more on the open market, than what LBs that might have the particular skill set that our new DC and LB coach are looking for, to fit into what they want to do defensively.  I realize that the draft is one big crap-shoot, when it comes to talent panning out, so I guess it comes down to what the new coaching staff is looking for and what fit's the teams financial perspective.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 07:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The way that I see it, proven and effective OL are going to cost more on the open market, than what LBs that might have the particular skill set that our new DC and LB coach are looking for, to fit into what they want to do defensively.  I realize that the draft is one big crap-shoot, when it comes to talent panning out, so I guess it comes down to what the new coaching staff is looking for and what fit's the teams financial perspective.

It seems to be getting to a point now where RT is becoming the cheapest position on the OL.
Out of all the positions, here are how many players are $10+ mill a year average:
LT - 15 (highest is Taylor Lewan, $16 mill)
LG - 4 (highest is Andrew Norwell, $13.3 mill)
C - 2 (highest is Ryan Jensen, $10.5 mill)
RG - 6 (highest is Zach Martin, $14 mill)
RT - 1 (Lane Johnson, $11.25 mill)

In fact, RT only has four players above $8 mill a year. RT is super cheap now.

Go after a RT and LB in FA, get RG (and another LB) in the draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote