Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT contenders
Maybe a quick jump on things, but why not, by Sept they will be playing

I hope for good things from our o-line this year, having added Glenn and Price. However we can always rebuild further. OT is always a premium position. Hence a thread devoted to next year's prospects here. The class might be a bit more solid than last years draft overall in terms of depth. The following is a ranking with some of their key dates and match ups.

https://www.footballcouchscout.com/copy-of-og
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Looks like Trey Adams is already done for the year. Last year ACL. This year back surgery.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 09:26 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Looks like Trey Adams is already done for the year.  Last year ACL.  This year back surgery.

Sounds like a guy we draft.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 09:26 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Looks like Trey Adams is already done for the year.  Last year ACL.  This year back surgery.

I'm a huge fan of Adams, but no way we can go after a player with his injury history if we're trying to get a Super Bowl next year. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I don't see anyone at OT worth a Top 10 draft pick, which is what we're on pace for with our record. 3rd and 4th round I can see us taking

3rd. Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State 
4th. Kaleb McGary, OT, Washington 

In the second, I can see us taking Ben Cleveland, G, Georgia 

Boling is meh, and the other guys have done little to impress. We need to get better across the OLine.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Trey Adams! The coaches admitted they brought him back from the ACL injury to quickly which is what caused the back injury. He could have played through it said it was more a nuisance than anything else but decided to get it taken care off before the draft.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:12 PM)Shady Wrote: I don't see anyone at OT worth a Top 10 draft pick, which is what we're on pace for with our record. 3rd and 4th round I can see us taking

Boling is meh, and the other guys have done little to impress. We need to get better across the OLine.

I could make an argument for Little, but that seems to be about it at this point.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:12 PM)Shady Wrote: I don't see anyone at OT worth a Top 10 draft pick, which is what we're on pace for with our record. 3rd and 4th round I can see us taking

Would people be OK with re-signing Andre Smith as a stopgap RT and taking Kaleb McGary? I like what he has to offer at that position.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 12:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: …. and taking Kaleb McGary? I like what he has to offer at that position.

McGary would be a nice round 2 pick imo at this point.  I like Jonah Williams, Josh Allen , and Devin White in 1.  Pretty much LB and OT as the 1st two, with a possible outlier of a TE.  It's a bummer.  I like some of the DT's and even another safety, but needs are needs.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 12:38 PM)Goalpost Wrote: McGary would be a nice round 2 pick imo at this point.  I like Jonah Williams, Josh Allen , and Devin White in 1.  Pretty much LB and OT as the 1st two, with a possible outlier of a TE.  It's a bummer.  I like some of the DT's and even another safety, but needs are needs.

If this same coaching staff Is here in 2019 ,we finish in the basement AGAIN.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 12:38 PM)Goalpost Wrote: McGary would be a nice round 2 pick imo at this point.  I like Jonah Williams, Josh Allen , and Devin White in 1.  Pretty much LB and OT as the 1st two, with a possible outlier of a TE.  It's a bummer.  I like some of the DT's and even another safety, but needs are needs.

My understanding is McGary might be a "reach" in Round 2 or probably better said as being available in Rd 3-4 due to the "depth" of OTs in the draft class (a lot of similar talent). If I was targeting McGary, it'd be in Rds 3-4 and I'd be looking at LB, TE, and/or RG in Rds 1-2. Being sufficiently active in FA will help this a lot.

EDIT - You also mention DT and safety, and I think it boils down to this...for as much as the Bengals say they value the draft, they sure don't seem to wheeling and dealing draft picks to get more or move around very often. You'd think a team that values the draft like that would try to stockpile as many Day 1 and 2 draft picks as possible because everyone knows (or should know) the talent pools drops the later you get in the draft. And that would (or should) allow more the Bengals to fill those spots with quality draft picks.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 01:10 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: If this same coaching staff Is here in 2019 ,we finish in the basement AGAIN.

The Bengals haven't finished in the basement since 2010. The Browns are still considered "the basement" right now, as they are a half-game behind the Bengals.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 12:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Would people be OK with re-signing Andre Smith as a stopgap RT and taking Kaleb McGary? I like what he has to offer at that position.

I would be fine with that plan.  Heck, I thought it would have been a good idea to have just signed Andre to a modest, 2 year deal, before they let him go to Arizona.  If for no other reason, than to have him as a constant reminder that they haven't drafted a Tackle worth a damn, since they drafted him...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
6. Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida.
Previously: 6 Avg. 37.4 per 7

12/19/18: Multiple teams say they have Florida's Jawaan Taylor as the top offensive line prospect. They feel that Taylor will be the first blocker drafted and could go high in the first round. Entering the 2018 season, some advance scouts had mentioned being intrigued with Taylor and were hoping that he would be more consistent as a junior. That has come true with Taylor performing as the Gators' best offensive lineman, and multiple team contacts say they are much higher on Taylor than Greg Little. Team sources love Taylor's combination of size, movement skills, and strength. Sources feel that 6-foot-5, 340-pounder has an excellent skill set with upside to be a top tackle in the NFL.

Even though he is a better player than left tackle Martez Ivey, Taylor has started at right tackle for the Gators the past two seasons, but that doesn't bother team sources. With the way NFL teams move their edge rushers around, left or right side is borderline irrelevant. "The blind side isn't what it used to be," said one area scout. "Lane Johnson is a right tackle that's paid like a left." Thus, wherever Taylor lands, he could shut down one side and the team could send extra help to the other tackle. Teams also feel that Taylor has the ability to play left or right tackle.

----WalterFootball has Jawaan Taylor as their number 6 OVERALL on their big board. He is the enigma right now to me in terms of value. Draftek has him at 240ish. That's quite a difference between these two sites----
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 11:19 AM)Goalpost Wrote: 6. Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida.
Previously: 6 Avg. 37.4 per 7

12/19/18: Multiple teams say they have Florida's Jawaan Taylor as the top offensive line prospect. They feel that Taylor will be the first blocker drafted and could go high in the first round. Entering the 2018 season, some advance scouts had mentioned being intrigued with Taylor and were hoping that he would be more consistent as a junior. That has come true with Taylor performing as the Gators' best offensive lineman, and multiple team contacts say they are much higher on Taylor than Greg Little. Team sources love Taylor's combination of size, movement skills, and strength. Sources feel that 6-foot-5, 340-pounder has an excellent skill set with upside to be a top tackle in the NFL.

Even though he is a better player than left tackle Martez Ivey, Taylor has started at right tackle for the Gators the past two seasons, but that doesn't bother team sources. With the way NFL teams move their edge rushers around, left or right side is borderline irrelevant. "The blind side isn't what it used to be," said one area scout. "Lane Johnson is a right tackle that's paid like a left." Thus, wherever Taylor lands, he could shut down one side and the team could send extra help to the other tackle. Teams also feel that Taylor has the ability to play left or right tackle.

----WalterFootball has Jawaan Taylor as their number 6 OVERALL on their big board.  He is the enigma right now to me in terms of value.  Draftek has him at 240ish.  That's quite a difference between these two sites----

I think WalterFootball is a joke, so I'd probably not put much stock in them. I don't believe for a second people have Taylor over Jonah Williams.
Reply/Quote
Trey Adams being out for season leaves little doubt in my mind that we will trade up to get him early.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 01:10 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: If this same coaching staff Is here in 2019 ,we finish in the basement AGAIN.

Way to talk about the draft.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 12:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think WalterFootball is a joke, so I'd probably not put much stock in them. I don't believe for a second people have Taylor over Jonah Williams.

FWIW, CBS has Taylor as the 3rd best OT prospect, 57th overall, behind Williams and Little.  That seems a bit more realistic than what Walter has.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I am a fan of OLine players in general. They are the ones that make a team a winner or a loser, the key is finding the right one that can do what you need them to do and can play in the NFL.

I have liked the players out of Alabama recently and I wouldn't cry if we were to grab Williams if he were available.

With the need of Line help, I would go OLine in 1st and 2nd round but that is just me. I know many have their hearts set on the LBer out of LSU, but other than Lewis, not many teams win due to their LBers.

LBers can be made better with the right coach and scheme and they can also fail. So while I wouldn't hate White as our pick, I wouldn't consider him the missing link to fixing the issues on this team.

However I would like a OLine that has these guys as starters:

LT-Glenn LG-Boling C-Price RG-Westerman (if he can get the shot) RT- Williams

That wouldn't fix everything, but it would be an improvement. Now Chance Warmack will be a FA if the Eagles don't retain him and I would consider bringing him here. Another FA if he doesn't stay with NO is Jermon Bushrod or we could possibly get Ju'Wann James from Miami.

I am intrigued as to who we will get as our HC since there are a lot of ways we could go in the draft, but if I were running things I am looking at getting a good player in FA to go with Price and Williams (if available) on the Oline, Glenn to me is a stop gap if we can't get Bushrod, if we can and do get Bushrod then I would consider moving Glenn to LG. James would be back up and insurance if Williams doesn't pan out.

LT-Bushrod LG-Glenn C-Price RG- Westerman (or Boling) RT-Williams (or James if we decide to go all out in FA)

Again even if we were to get James in FA, I would target Williams. Let the best of the 2 play. If Williams doesn't win then he can work to get stronger and better to compete again next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 09:41 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: I am a fan of OLine players in general.  They are the ones that make a team a winner or a loser, the key is finding the right one that can do what you need them to do and can play in the NFL.

I have liked the players out of Alabama recently and I wouldn't cry if we were to grab Williams if he were available.

With the need of Line help, I would go OLine in 1st and 2nd round but that is just me.  I know many have their hearts set on the LBer out of LSU, but other than Lewis, not many teams win due to their LBers.

LBers can be made better with the right coach and scheme and they can also fail.  So while I wouldn't hate White as our pick, I wouldn't consider him the missing link to fixing the issues on this team.

However I would like a OLine that has these guys as starters:

LT-Glenn LG-Boling C-Price RG-Westerman (if he can get the shot) RT- Williams

That wouldn't fix everything, but it would be an improvement.  Now Chance Warmack will be a FA if the Eagles don't retain him and I would consider bringing him here.  Another FA if he doesn't stay with NO is Jermon Bushrod or we could possibly get Ju'Wann James from Miami.

I am intrigued as to who we will get as our HC since there are a lot of ways we could go in the draft, but if I were running things I am looking at getting a good player in FA to go with Price and Williams (if available) on the Oline, Glenn to me is a stop gap if we can't get Bushrod, if we can and do get Bushrod then I would consider moving Glenn to LG.  James would be back up and insurance if Williams doesn't pan out.

LT-Bushrod LG-Glenn C-Price RG- Westerman (or Boling) RT-Williams (or James if we decide to go all out in FA)

Again even if we were to get James in FA, I would target Williams.  Let the best of the 2 play.  If Williams doesn't win then he can work to get stronger and better to compete again next year.

I was following your logic just fine, until we got to the bolded parts.  Why would you move Boling from LG to RG, or even have Boling potentially on the bench, sitting behind Westerman?  

Another thought that I have is;  If the Bengals go all-in on a free agent LT (again) for someone like Bushrod, I would certainly think that Cordy Glenn would no longer be a Bengal.  His salary is just too much to keep him at any other position than LT.  In light of how poorly Glenn appeared this year, I could see him just simply being cut.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote