Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OTA's
(05-24-2021, 12:24 PM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals defense definitely needs OTAs and reps together. They have what 5 returning starters and a completely new corner group.

No doubt, this is a completely different unit from last year.
Reply/Quote
I gotta say, it's encouraging to read that so many of the Bengals are willing to come to work at OTA's, especially in light of so many others around the league wanting to not do OTA's. As was mentioned, the defense needs the reps. Right now they are just a collection of players, they need that time and reps together, in order to become a cohesive unit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I gotta say, it's encouraging to read that so many of the Bengals are willing to come to work at OTA's, especially in light of so many others around the league wanting to not do OTA's. As was mentioned, the defense needs the reps. Right now they are just a collection of players, they need that time and reps together, in order to become a cohesive unit.

It’s an encouraging sign about the culture Zac has built. Some loser teams like the Texans have players clamoring to get out. Our remaining and new players (at least at face value) want to work together to build a winner.

It’s all moot until they win some games, but it’s interesting to see players still outspoken about turning this thing around. It’s an interesting changing of the guard. I feel we have moved on from quiet lead by example types to some more fiery guys.

AJ and Geno were the quiet types and let their play speak for themselves. Boyd and Bates are a bit more demanding IMO. Boyd talks a lot, Bates sounds like he demands a lot from his teammates.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 07:54 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It’s an encouraging sign about the culture Zac has built. Some loser teams like the Texans have players clamoring to get out. Our remaining and new players (at least at face value) want to work together to build a winner.

It’s all moot until they win some games, but it’s interesting to see players still outspoken about turning this thing around. It’s an interesting changing of the guard. I feel we have moved on from quiet lead by example types to some more fiery guys.

AJ and Geno were the quiet types and let their play speak for themselves. Boyd and Bates are a bit more demanding IMO. Boyd talks a lot, Bates sounds like he demands a lot from his teammates.

I could not be more impressed with any of younger players, than I am with Jesse Bates.  Not only is he developing into an All-Pro level player on the field, but he has that sort of vocal leader personality that the defense has sorely been lacking since the days of Reggie Nelson and Adam Jones.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 07:54 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It’s an encouraging sign about the culture Zac has built. Some loser teams like the Texans have players clamoring to get out. Our remaining and new players (at least at face value) want to work together to build a winner.

(05-24-2021, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could not be more impressed with any of younger players, than I am with Jesse Bates.  Not only is he developing into an All-Pro level player on the field, but he has that sort of vocal leader personality that the defense has sorely been lacking since the days of Reggie Nelson and Adam Jones.

Beautifully said, pay Jessie Bates III.
Reply/Quote
Quick piece on Hendrickson checking in for OTAs: https://www.bengals.com/news/hendrickson-fits-in-as-new-look-bengals-gather-it-s-almost-like-i-ve-been-here-a
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 09:45 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Quick piece on Hendrickson checking in for OTAs: https://www.bengals.com/news/hendrickson-fits-in-as-new-look-bengals-gather-it-s-almost-like-i-ve-been-here-a

Love this, thanks Tecmo. Really like Trey excited to see him this year as I wanted him over Carl before it happened. I think that 
Trey can be a great finisher for us and what I really liked about him in this piece was him talking about setting the edge and 
stopping the run. With the players we added I hope this is the case, we stop the run and pin our ears back and get after the QB
and as Trey said, get the ball back in Burrow's hands.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 09:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, Taylor said from the start he was going to fill the locker room with leaders and winners, guys who knew what it takes to win at the every level, and that's exactly what he's done.

Calling players and coaches "winners" sound silly when they never win.

I like our team, but they have not won anything yet,
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 06:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Calling players and coaches "winners" sound silly when they never win.

Because the team as a collective hasn't won anything yet does not negate the fact most of the players Taylor has brought in have in fact come from winning programs, Championship teams, playoff teams, and know what it takes to achieve that. I usually enjoy your point of view on things, but that is one of the lamest posts I've ever seen you put up.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could not be more impressed with any of younger players, than I am with Jesse Bates.  Not only is he developing into an All-Pro level player on the field, but he has that sort of vocal leader personality that the defense has sorely been lacking since the days of Reggie Nelson and Adam Jones.

And he is actually YOUNGER than Joe Burrow, which shows you how young he was when he got here.  
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 06:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Calling players and coaches "winners" sound silly when they never win.

"Never win"?  I think it would be more accurate to say that they haven't experienced a lot of success in their young NFL careers, but Hilton, Bell, Hendrickson, Reiff, Waynes, and Trent Taylor have won quite a bit in the NFL thus far.  Yes, this TEAM hasn't won much, but their backgrounds and past are a good indicator of future success, IMHO, and now that some glaring holes and depth issues have been addressed it is their time.

Many have said it and I will echo it again:  This year the coaches need to prove they belong.  
Reply/Quote
9 to 1 putting in extra work......

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/25/joe-burrow-jamarr-chase-extra-work-first-day-bengals-otas/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NFLdraftmaverickKaila&fbclid=IwAR0mRw1pR6oWo-1OhNX9XnMSZGXTnopu_BhJaW9H2dce2wVYUnZMSi_5fZ4
Reply/Quote
To the ongoing conversation, culture is an important part of winning that most people don't understand. There is something to be said for bringing guys in who have had success because they understand what it takes to not only achieve success but also how to handle success. Even when you consider the coaching staff is relatively young and lite on having had success being able to lean on veteran players who have had it to give their thoughts on things is beneficial. You can also get feedback from them on how their teams who had success approached different teams and schemes.

I am less down on the "coaching" people often reference here because most refer to "coaching" as play-calling and the play-calling has been fine other than critiquing it from a position of hindsight. I remember last year in the Browns game people critiquing the cover 1 call that the TD was caught against saying, you have to play two high there. The reality is that is absolutely false because of what had occurred in the game up until that point. We were getting murdered by their tight ends all game and they were down to their 4th WR on the outside so you give help inside to the guys who couldn't stop their TE's all game. Even so, the call was fine and Phillips was in the perfect position to make a play on the ball but failed to do so...in the end, players have to perform no matter the call.

Other people complain about their base being multiple. Probably 30-40% of teams in the NFL run multiple base, and many of them are the more successful teams in the league defensively. The whole 3-4/4-3 argument is kind of comical because it actually means very little as the personnel doesn't usually change much but it's just alignment and man up or down. As others mentioned, we have no real clue how good this defense can be because defense is a sum of it's parts and we had so many replacement parts in last year that we can't even guess what it would have been.

This is definitely a prove-it year for the staff, but with that said I think they have done a good job assembling a roster that will at the very least be really desirable for potential coaching candidates if they don't get it done this year.
Reply/Quote
"Knowing how to win" is meaningless. From '16 through '18 we had a head coach with a Super Bowl Champion ring and a rosterful of players who made the playoffs on a regular basis.
Reply/Quote
I remain very skeptical of the Bengals head coach and coordinators.

But... I think its impressive that so many players came to OTAs. That has to say something positive about Taylor.

Chuck Noll was awful his first few years with the Steelers and then turned into a Hall of Fame Coach with a record of success as good as anyone else. I would love to see something remotely similar occur with Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 09:18 AM)Au165 Wrote: To the ongoing conversation, culture is an important part of winning that most people don't understand. There is something to be said for bringing guys in who have had success because they understand what it takes to not only achieve success but also how to handle success. Even when you consider the coaching staff is relatively young and lite on having had success being able to lean on veteran players who have had it to give their thoughts on things is beneficial. You can also get feedback from them on how their teams who had success approached different teams and schemes.

I am less down on the "coaching" people often reference here because most refer to "coaching" as play-calling and the play-calling has been fine other than critiquing it from a position of hindsight. I remember last year in the Browns game people critiquing the cover 1 call that the TD was caught against saying, you have to play two high there. The reality is that is absolutely false because of what had occurred in the game up until that point. We were getting murdered by their tight ends all game and they were down to their 4th WR on the outside so you give help inside to the guys who couldn't stop their TE's all game. Even so, the call was fine and Phillips was in the perfect position to make a play on the ball but failed to do so...in the end, players have to perform no matter the call.

Other people complain about their base being multiple. Probably 30-40% of teams in the NFL run multiple base, and many of them are the more successful teams in the league defensively. The whole 3-4/4-3 argument is kind of comical because it actually means very little as the personnel doesn't usually change much but it's just alignment and man up or down. As others mentioned, we have no real clue how good this defense can be because defense is a sum of it's parts and we had so many replacement parts in last year that we can't even guess what it would have been.

This is definitely a prove-it year for the staff, but with that said I think they have done a good job assembling a roster that will at the very least be really desirable for potential coaching candidates if they don't get it done this year.

Great post. I really like this roster as well and hopefully we don't have as many replacement parts this year so we can really 
tell how good of a coach Lou is. Hard to be a DC with backup DT's and hurt Ends along with young LB's. But even when DJ 
Reader was healthy we struggled on Defense to stop the run and players were having trouble filling gaps. We will see but I 
do like the players that were brought in on both sides of the ball and especially in the trenches where games are won.
Reply/Quote