Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OTs You're Interested In?
Taking the assumption that the top 3 OTs (Jones, Skoronski, Johnson Jr.) are off the table by our first pick, what other options are you into? Do you have a list of OTs you want and what round you expect them taken? And which position will they play for us (LT/RT)?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Other names after the top 3

Anton Harrison Okla LT
Darnell Wright Tennessee RT
Jaelyn Duncan Maryland LT
Dawand Jones Ohio State RT
Blake Freeland BYU LT
Matthew Bergeron Syracuse LT

All but Harrison will be at the Senior Bowl.

Cody Mauch LT draws discussion in here and he will be at the Senior Bowl also.
Reply/Quote
I like Duncan, but Mauch projects to G, doesn't he?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 12:15 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I like Duncan, but Mauch projects to G, doesn't he?

What I've heard is NDSU doesn't require their OL to block DEs on run plays so its hard to find translatable tape.

Considering the last two NDSU players drafted (that I can remember) have went inside to OG (Our Volson and TEN Radunz).
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 12:15 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I like Duncan, but Mauch projects to G, doesn't he?

Bergeron is another one who could end up at guard.  
Reply/Quote
Bengals need an Offensive Tackle even if it's that swing 6th guy and this is just a terrible class... If the Bengals trade back out of the first Dawand Jones early second fits the spread power/gap scheme. Jones is a slightly more athletic Daniel Faalele.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 04:00 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals need an Offensive Tackle even if it's that swing 6th guy and this is just a terrible class... If the Bengals trade back out of the first Dawand Jones early second fits the spread power/gap scheme. Jones is a slightly more athletic Daniel Faalele.

Jones and Wright feels like a younger LCs to me. That wouldn't be a terrible choice in 1. Same type of play style so should integrate rather quickly while having the upside of youth to grow into it.

I'll be curious if Javon Foster comes out of Mizzou. Could be a developmental LT since it doesn't appear Smith has any traits to latch onto the team. Maybe 3rd or 4th? Granted I need to see more film of him (only watched one game so far) but seemed to hold his own.
Reply/Quote
I don't think anyone beyond the top 3 is first round worthy. I see Harrison's name popping up.

I just would prefer any of the following options over reaching for an OT. But if Thomas (or even more miraculously, one of the others) is still there, I'd take him over ANY of the following scenarios.

1) Best CB left if one if top 6 (Porter, Gonzalez, Ringo, Phillips, Smith, Witherspoon). Witherspoon is my preference.

2) Help on the EDGE. Verse, Foskey. Maybe even Van Ness.

3) A falling skill position guy that drops to us. Mayer (TE), Robinson (RB), Smith-Njigba (WR). Not likely, but if any of these 3 are on the board, I will take it.

4) A top notch prospect who plays a position with liwer positional value. Torrence at OG. Ika at NT. Branch or Johnson at S if Bell gets away. Not thrilled with any LB or C in Rd1.

At the moment, I'd rate our needs as:

1) Level 1: Starter upgrades: OT, CB, IOL
2) Depth/Future cost cutting: TE, DE, DT/NT, WR, S, LB, RB QB (depth)
3) Maybe some competition: P
4) No real need: PK, LS

Depending on what hapoens in FA with Bates, Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, & Perine, I could mive stuff around.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 02:03 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I don't think anyone beyond the top 3 is first round worthy. I see Harrison's name popping up.

I just would prefer any of the following options over reaching for an OT. But if Thomas (or even more miraculously, one of the others) is still there, I'd take him over ANY of the following scenarios.

1) Best CB left if one if top 6 (Porter, Gonzalez, Ringo, Phillips, Smith, Witherspoon).  Witherspoon is my preference.

2) Help on the EDGE. Verse, Foskey. Maybe even Van Ness.

3)  A falling skill position guy that drops to us. Mayer (TE), Robinson (RB), Smith-Njigba (WR). Not likely, but if any of these 3 are on the board, I will take it.

4) A top notch prospect who plays a position with liwer positional value. Torrence at OG. Ika at NT. Branch or Johnson at S if Bell gets away. Not thrilled with any LB or C in Rd1.

At the moment, I'd rate our needs as:

1) Level 1: Starter upgrades: OT, CB, IOL
2) Depth/Future cost cutting: TE, DE, DT/NT, WR, S, LB, RB  QB (depth)
3) Maybe some competition: P
4) No real need: PK, LS

Depending on what hapoens in FA with Bates, Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, & Perine, I could mive stuff around.

Who? Was this for Anton Harrison?

Also, I do lean RT but I will hold judgment until we see HA given a shot. I didn't think he looked good live but rewatching clips from the game, he wasn't awful.

I think I'm leaning Branch as it currently stands.
Reply/Quote
I've like Jaxon Kirkland from Washington since 2021 when I thought he would declare.
I think he has enough athleticism and size to be a successful blocker on the right side.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 08:37 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Who? Was this for Anton Harrison?

Also, I do lean RT but I will hold judgment until we see HA given a shot. I didn't think he looked good live but rewatching clips from the game, he wasn't awful.

I think I'm leaning Branch as it currently stands.

Broderick Thomas, OT, Georgia. 

Harrison will likely be there for the taking. He's a reach in my view. 

Again, IF the top 3 tackles (Skoronski, Johnson, Thomas), top 6 CBs, Rd1 worthy DEs (Verse, Foskey), top notch skill guys (Mayer, JSN, Robinson), and Torrence are all gone, I MIGHT reach for a tackle. 

Branch would be tempting but he is awful similar to Hill as a S/CB hybtid with most of CB at slot. With Hilton in the fold, I doubt it. Only way I look S in Rd1 is if both Bell & Bates get away. Even then, I'd prefer moving CTB to S and nabbing a corner. 

I'd probably look to trade back and/or take Ika in the above scenario. Or Zay Flowers if he's there. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 04:55 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Broderick Thomas, OT, Georgia. 

Harrison will likely be there for the taking. He's a reach in my view. 

Again, IF the top 3 tackles (Skoronski, Johnson, Thomas), top 6 CBs, Rd1 worthy DEs (Verse, Foskey), top notch skill guys (Mayer, JSN, Robinson), and Torrence are all gone, I MIGHT reach for a tackle. 

Broderick Jones OT Georgia lol. Also Jared Verse surprised everyone he is going back to FSU. 

I'm not a huge fan of Jaxon Smith-Njigba for Cincy especially with their first round pick. It's not because its I don't want another receiver it's because I think he's Tyler Boyd and like to see them get a guy with a little more boundary versatility.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 04:45 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Other names after the top 3

Anton Harrison Okla LT
Darnell Wright Tennessee RT
Jaelyn Duncan Maryland LT
Dawand Jones Ohio State RT
Blake Freeland BYU LT
Matthew Bergeron Syracuse LT

All but Harrison will be at the Senior Bowl.  

Cody Mauch LT draws discussion in here and he will be at the Senior Bowl also.

Good stuff Goalpost. Haven't really looked at the OT's much so this helps with some names other than Skoronski who probably 
will be long gone by the time we pick. Jaxon Kirkland like Ocho said is another one that I have seen play and looked good. But 
like Synric said, this is a pretty weak class for OT's so it might actually be a better idea to grab an Edge rusher or a skill position
early. Still, should always look at OT's with both La'el and Jonah always banged up it seems.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 05:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Broderick Jones OT Georgia lol. Also Jared Verse surprised everyone he is going back to FSU. 

I'm not a huge fan of Jaxon Smith-Njigba for Cincy especially with their first round pick. It's not because its I don't want another receiver it's because I think he's Tyler Boyd and like to see them get a guy with a little more boundary versatility.

Lol. My bad. Like I turned him into Joe Thomas with OT on the brain! 

I suck! No wonder you were confused. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 05:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Broderick Jones OT Georgia lol. Also Jared Verse surprised everyone he is going back to FSU. 

JSN was pure slot when OSU had Wilson & Olave. He hardly played this year, but would have been outside more. He MAY have it. He's not tiny. But he is WAY more explosive than Boyd.

Jefferson went late 1st because people thought he was slot only. I think JSN is the most explosive WR in the draft, easily. Like you, I'd prefer a bigger guy who can play outside. But 6-4 guys with productivity & blazing speed don't last to 28th. Where we pick, a guy likely is missing something (size, speed, production vs top competition, production, route diversity). Boyd, Taylor, & Chase can all play in the slot. Then again, Highins, Chase, & Irwin can all play outside. We have no deep speed outside of Chase, and JSN has it.  Boyd is out of contract next year, too. A year to figure out what JSN can do would help us make decisions going forward. And a year with all four would be hella-fun. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 04:18 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: JSN was pure slot when OSU had Wilson & Olave. He hardly played this year, but would have been outside more. He MAY have it. He's not tiny. But he is WAY more explosive than Boyd.

Jefferson went late 1st because people thought he was slot only. I think JSN is the most explosive WR in the draft, easily. Like you, I'd prefer a bigger guy who can play outside. But 6-4 guys with productivity & blazing speed don't last to 28th. Where we pick, a guy likely is missing something (size, speed, production vs top competition, production, route diversity).  Boyd, Taylor, & Chase can all play in the slot. Then again, Highins, Chase, & Irwin can all play outside. We have no deep speed outside of Chase, and JSN has it.  Boyd is out of contract next year, too. A year to figure out what JSN can do would help us make decisions going forward. And a year with all four would be hella-fun. 

Are we sure we has deep speed? I admit it's not from my observation but I heard he got chased down by a LB last year. Sounds like quick, not fast, guy.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 08:25 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Are we sure we has deep speed? I admit it's not from my observation but I heard he got chased down by a LB last year. Sounds like quick, not fast, guy.

At 6'1" 200, he's got decent size, but you might be right about that top end speed.  Though not a blazer, he runs great routes, has great hands and amazing body control, and holds onto the ball through a hit  His listed time is 4.59, but that was coming out of HS.  I'm sure that he's training with a track coach for the combine/pro day activities, but he'll likely need to be under 4.5 to be 1st round worthy, in my opinion.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 03:21 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Taking the assumption that the top 3 OTs (Jones, Skoronski, Johnson Jr.) are off the table by our first pick, what other options are you into? Do you have a list of OTs you want and what round you expect them taken? And which position will they play for us (LT/RT)?

Ton of quality tackles to pick from 2nd round and lower

Guy that intrigues me farther down the Tackle list is Dawand Jones from Ohio St. 

6-8 and close to 360 lbs 

Will be imposing in the run game and can improve his game in pass protection
Reply/Quote

Duncan sucks. Anton Harrison is the best pass blocker of the top four. But check this guy out in the later rounds he was the number three tackle last year entering the season according to pff then they moved him to guard. He is still the best tackle in the draft he is just recovering from a surgery.

Jaxson Kirkland report- pretty outdated but how i felt then

pff report with him as tackle 3

So what I'm saying is this kid could be an absolute steal, but if you dont like him Harrison is the best pass blocker but i think he'll go in round 1.
Kirkland is a beast on tape and outside of his one game against Aidan Hutchinson hes been almost perfect
Reply/Quote
Ok, Jpoore
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote