Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traditional 5-2 Defense in Short Yardage Situations
Could we impiment the traditonal 5-2 defense (1 Nose Tacke, 2 DT's, 2 DE's) in short yardage and goal line situations?

This defense is pretty much a forgetten relic of the past. You do see iterations of still, but they usually involve bring LB's up to the line. I'm sure someone has run it here and there, but it's it's got be few and far between. With the signing of Mike Daniels though, I wonder if it could be a possibility for us to see.

Imagine this, you've got either a 4th and inches, or you're in a goal line set, say 2 yards and in, and this is what are middle of our DL looks like: Mike Daniels---DJ Reader---Geno Atkins

If this guy returns to form and stays healthy I'd be very curious to see if we ever manage to have all 3 of these dudes in at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 07:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Could we impiment the traditonal 5-2 defense (1 Nose Tacke, 2 DT's, 2 DE's) in short yardage and goal line situations?

This defense is pretty much a forgetten relic of the past.  You do see iterations of still, but they usually involve bring LB's up to the line.  I'm sure someone has run it here and there, but it's it's got be few and far between.  With the signing of Mike Daniels though, I wonder if it could be a possibility for us to see.

Imagine this, you've got either a 4th and inches, or you're in a goal line set, say 2 yards and in, and this is what are middle of our DL looks like:  Mike Daniels---DJ Reader---Geno Atkins

If this guy returns to form and stays healthy I'd be very curious to see if we ever manage to have all 3 of these dudes in at the same time.

As long as the Ends in the alignment are alert and athletic enough to recognize the audible, and cover the RB in the flats;  Why wouldn't you consider using that old school defensive alignment?  Personally, I kind of feel like the addition of a tough, in the box Safety like Vonn Bell, makes using a defense like that entirely possible.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Probably wouldn't work against the Ravens. Probably need more side-to-side speed on the field than 5 DL.

Also worry about situations where you'll have a DE having to pick up a RB or a TE on coverage.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Could do a 5-1-5, with 3 safeties.
Reply/Quote
It's kind of a semantics thing in reality, a 5-2 is just a 3-4 with less athletic OLBs that they refer to as ends. The alignment in a standard 5-2 is pretty much the same alignment as a base 3-4 in terms of where each guy is lining up gap wise. We actually did something similar last year at times and people called it a 5-2 but it was really just a 3-4 with personnel the general public considered heavier. 

[Image: BengalsDefense2-768x430.jpg]

This was them running it last year, guys are standing up which I would call it a 3-4 but a lot of people referred to it as a 5-2. Add in the fact the nose was playing more of a 1, or 2i, technique and I just wouldn't consider it a 5-2.
Reply/Quote
How about a goaline front of:

Wren - Daniels - Reader - Atkins - Brown

~1600 lbs of beef
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 08:28 AM)Au165 Wrote: It's kind of a semantics thing in reality, a 5-2 is just a 3-4 with less athletic OLBs that they refer to as ends. The alignment in a standard 5-2 is pretty much the same alignment as a base 3-4 in terms of where each guy is lining up gap wise. We actually did something similar last year at times and people called it a 5-2 but it was really just a 3-4 with personnel the general public considered heavier. 

[Image: BengalsDefense2-768x430.jpg]

This was them running it last year, guys are standing up which I would call it a 3-4 but a lot of people referred to it as a 5-2. Add in the fact the nose was playing more of a 1, or 2i, technique and I just wouldn't consider it a 5-2.

Pretty much this.  Weather it's a 5-2 or a 3-4, it's still considered an odd front.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote