Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oakley's design for possible new face shields
(07-13-2020, 02:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: JJ Watt recently talked about how miserable it was to just wear the regular visor on really warm days. I can't imagine how much worse it will be to have a full visor that also covers the mouth area as well...but they may not have a choice if they want to have an NFL season this year. They have to have some way to minimize the risks.

A really warm day in Buffalo:
[Image: 9bca7b15-a34c-4d52-8205-a8f1032aa8f4-AP1...416441.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 02:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: JJ Watt recently talked about how miserable it was to just wear the regular visor on really warm days. I can't imagine how much worse it will be to have a full visor that also covers the mouth area as well...but they may not have a choice if they want to have an NFL season this year. They have to have some way to minimize the risks.

They could minimize the risks on the field by simply having players stay away from high risk activities when they're off the field. No bars, restaurants, hookers, hanger-on-ers, visits from extended family, etc, etc. Same would be true for coaches, trainers, staff and team executives. Add to this testing two or three times a week or even daily. Anyone with signs of illness wouldn't be allowed into team facilities and quarantined until better. Sterilize the locker rooms before, during and after games and practices.

If no one who's on the field has it, then no one on the field will catch it by being on the field. Very simple concept.

Really shouldn't be too difficult within the building, but it will ultimately come down to how the players handle their person lives and some of these guys have a very low responsibility level and probably feel they can't function without some vices.

A short-term illness IR could be created for something like 30 days so that teams could field enough players if there's some sort of out break of some illness. Practice squad players would, of course, have to adhere to the same rules and be tested just as much so that they can come in and take over a position.

Free agents who hope to be signed during the season would also need to keep in all of the above otherwise have to go through thorough testing before being allowed to join a team.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2020, 02:46 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mixon responded to the proposed design saying he won't wear the mouth shield:

"Y’all might as well have a pump of sanitizers coming out of our uniforms too while y’all at it. I won’t wear it."

NFLPA medical director Thom Mayer had this response to the design:

“We’ve only had it on a few players — we have 2,500 players in the league — but I was surprised that ... claustrophobia has not been an issue yet. I think it will be when we have more players testing them.”

Mayer had previously suggested that players wear some type of face mask, but players rejected that idea.

Don't blame Mixon or the players rejecting the mask.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2020, 01:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: They could minimize the risks on the field by simply having players stay away from high risk activities when they're off the field. No bars, restaurants, hookers, hanger-on-ers, visits from extended family, etc, etc. Same would be true for coaches, trainers, staff and team executives. Add to this testing two or three times a week or even daily. Anyone with signs of illness wouldn't be allowed into team facilities and quarantined until better. Sterilize the locker rooms before, during and after games and practices.

If no one who's on the field has it, then no one on the field will catch it by being on the field. Very simple concept.

Really shouldn't be too difficult within the building, but it will ultimately come down to how the players handle their person lives and some of these guys have a very low responsibility level and probably feel they can't function without some vices.

A short-term illness IR could be created for something like 30 days so that teams could field enough players if there's some sort of out break of some illness. Practice squad players would, of course, have to adhere to the same rules and be tested just as much so that they can come in and take over a position.

Free agents who hope to be signed during the season would also need to keep in all of the above otherwise have to go through thorough testing before being allowed to join a team.

Although many Americans have to be seperated from family and friends weeks at a time for work, I doubt these millionaire kids will feel they have to be separated from the outside. As a married man, I worked for months out of state at a time before coming home. I didn't go to bars and only went to a restaurant on Sundays so I could get out of the hotel room. The other 6 days I was straight to the hotel after work and ordered food delivered mostly. It was easy for me because I refuse to put myself into positions of temptation or rumor mills. However, most kids with millions of bucks and a lot of swagger couldn't do that because, well, their just kids. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

You mean they developed something that will shut the Watt brothers up???? Brilliant!!!!!!

Personally, from looking at it, I think the air holes defeats the purpose of the shield. How are they going to redirect anything that goes through the hole? And, from looking at it, it's really no that different than the eye shield that many players wear anyway. The NFL should tell them they are going to wear it, or not play. Then, if they want to give up their game checks and incentives, they can choose that. My bet is they all shut up and wear it.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2020, 01:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: They could minimize the risks on the field by simply having players stay away from high risk activities when they're off the field. No bars, restaurants, hookers, hanger-on-ers, visits from extended family, etc, etc. Same would be true for coaches, trainers, staff and team executives. Add to this testing two or three times a week or even daily. Anyone with signs of illness wouldn't be allowed into team facilities and quarantined until better. Sterilize the locker rooms before, during and after games and practices.

That is basically what the sports have done over here.
Reply/Quote