Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama is the Next FDR
"According to Jason Furman, 'History is going to say he saved us from a second Great Depression.'"

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2015/06/history-is-going-to-say-he-saved-us-from-a-second-great-depression-000073?cmpid=sf

Thoughts?
[Image: bey.gif]
"Jason Furman, the chairman of White House Council of Economic Advisers and an Obama aide since the hope-and-change campaign of 2008"

And that's where I stopped. An Obama supporter will say he was Jesus and saved the economy. In reality, it was policies from both the President and a Democratic and Republican congress as well as a resilient American workforce. I don't know if he actually said he was the next FDR, but that would be incorrect for a number of reasons.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Thanks Obama.
Well it is pretty interesting how the right moved from 'This will never work, Obama is dooming us all for sure' in 2008-2012 to 'Obama did nothing to help the economy, we brought it back ourselves'.

I think TARP (both Obama and George W Bush) and the Stimulus (mostly Obama) were strong moves. And I think Obama has prioritized the economy all along. Could he have done more or done it even better? Yes. Could another president have seen us through? Possibly, though I'd say many would've flubbed it and prolonged things at the least.

At the end of the day I imagine Obama is going to be ranked around 14th in the list of all presidents. We already know public perception improves once you leave office (if nothing else, the opposition spends less effort taking you down a notch).

If obama is the new FDR we better hide our gold and Japanese friends.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
cough*bullshit*cough

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-06-2015, 12:59 PM)Steeler Eater Wrote: "According to Jason Furman, 'History is going to say he saved us from a second Great Depression.'"

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2015/06/history-is-going-to-say-he-saved-us-from-a-second-great-depression-000073?cmpid=sf

Thoughts?

When I saw the title for this thread, I thought for sure this was a St. Lucie thread. Shocked
(06-06-2015, 04:09 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: When I saw the title for this thread, I thought for sure this was a St. Lucie thread. Shocked

The recession was technically over by June 2009, so Obama had little to do with much of it (although his fingerprints were all over robbing the equity and debt holders of GM and Chrysler to give to the UAW).

The recession was triggered by a financial crisis, and that was largely stabilized with TARP and the auto bailouts before Obama took office.  The other key piece was unprecedented monetary stimulus, also mostly implemented before Obama took office. Obama may have signed some of it, may have had input of varying degrees, but the heavy lifting was largely done by the Bush administration and Bernanke.

Everything was pretty much stabilized and set to bottom before Obama took office.  And Washington pretty much knew it, which was why Obama and the Dems went right to work focusing on ACA.

Saying Obama averted anything is mostly a deflection from his historically anemic economic growth/recovery, despite coming off a pretty huge trough.
(06-06-2015, 05:58 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: The recession was technically over by June 2009, so Obama had little to do with much of it (although his fingerprints were all over robbing the equity and debt holders of GM and Chrysler to give to the UAW).

The recession was triggered by a financial crisis, and that was largely stabilized with TARP and the auto bailouts before Obama took office.  The other key piece was unprecedented monetary stimulus, also mostly implemented before Obama took office.  Obama may have signed some of it, may have had input of varying degrees, but the heavy lifting was largely done by the Bush administration and Bernanke.

Everything was pretty much stabilized and set to bottom before Obama took office.  And Washington pretty much knew it, which was why Obama and the Dems went right to work focusing on ACA.

Saying Obama averted anything is mostly a deflection from his historically anemic economic growth/recovery, despite coming off a pretty huge trough.

I haven't agreed or disagreed with you or anybody in this thread.  I just knew that FDR is one of Lucies favorite progressives Wink

But rant away if ya want to. LOL
(06-06-2015, 06:05 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I haven't agreed or disagreed with you or anybody in this thread.  I just knew that FDR is one of Lucies favorite progressives Wink

But rant away if ya want to. LOL

Sorry, hit reply out of laziness and meant to delete your quote
(06-06-2015, 06:18 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Sorry, hit reply out of laziness and meant to delete your quote

it's all good Rock On
(06-06-2015, 05:58 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: The recession was technically over by June 2009, so Obama had little to do with much of it (although his fingerprints were all over robbing the equity and debt holders of GM and Chrysler to give to the UAW).

The recession was triggered by a financial crisis, and that was largely stabilized with TARP and the auto bailouts before Obama took office.  The other key piece was unprecedented monetary stimulus, also mostly implemented before Obama took office.  Obama may have signed some of it, may have had input of varying degrees, but the heavy lifting was largely done by the Bush administration and Bernanke.

Oh. You are discussing the Bush/Bernanke "Federal Bank Bailout and Amnesty Program".

Saying Obama had nothing to do with the recovery is the same as saying the Republicans didn't try to slow recovery efforts for political benefit. And both are as untrue as claiming the Obama had everything to do with the recovery.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Oh that's a compliment? Yeah the economy is roaring away.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-06-2015, 08:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Oh. You are discussing the Bush/Bernanke "Federal Bank Bailout and Amnesty Program".

Saying Obama had nothing to do with the recovery is the same as saying the Republicans didn't try to slow recovery efforts for political benefit. And both are as untrue as claiming the Obama had everything to do with the recovery.

If you want to learn, as opposed to flinging nonsense, about the key events and pieces to stabilizing the economy, the link below covers it pretty well.  The critical stabilizers and remedial measures were all in place before Obama took office, most before he was even elected.

http://www.businessinsider.com/timeline-of-ben-bernankes-time-at-fed-2014-1

"saying Repubs didn't try to slow recovery for political benefit".....LMFAO, I guess they've been doing that successfully for about 8 years then.  Dems could ram through Obamacare but the Repubs blocked their recovery plans?!?  What the hell do you guys read?
(06-06-2015, 08:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh that's a compliment?  Yeah the economy is roaring away.

Well, with Obama still blaming Bush for about everything, it would only make sense that he'll take credit for healthy growth engineered by the next POTUS.

Obama didn't "stave off" anything...it was all pretty much over by the time he slapped his but down in the Oval Office.  His efforts to stimulate the economy and engineer a healthy recovery have been mediocre at best.
Shovel ready jobs, baby
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-06-2015, 09:40 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Shovel ready jobs, baby

Obama knows a thing or two about shoveling.  Believe that.
(06-06-2015, 09:32 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: If you want to learn, as opposed to flinging nonsense, about the key events and pieces to stabilizing the economy, the link below covers it pretty well.  The critical stabilizers and remedial measures were all in place before Obama took office, most before he was even elected.

http://www.businessinsider.com/timeline-of-ben-bernankes-time-at-fed-2014-1

"saying Repubs didn't try to slow recovery for political benefit".....LMFAO, I guess they've been doing that successfully for about 8 years then.  Dems could ram through Obamacare but the Repubs blocked their recovery plans?!?  What the hell do you guys read?

I read it in the daily newspapers every day while it was happening. Where were you?

Numerous job bills were proposed by the Dems since the recession and all were opposed by Repubs. And they were opposed because the GOP didn't see any political benefit in it. And that is to say nothing of the right wing movements to shrink government which is synonymous with cutting federal and state jobs. As a result, unemployment has lingered. And the GOP hasn't given a rat's ass about it.

As for TARP, that was Bush and Bernankes' plan to bail out banks. That had nothing to do with recovery. That had to do with limiting damages. What has helped recovery is banking reforms, which started after Bush left office. A lot of people on the Right fought banking reforms as well because it represented government intervention and regulation of businesses.

Standing Bush up as the "Savior of the Recession" is as laughable as saying Obama was.
(06-06-2015, 09:37 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Well, with Obama still blaming Bush for about everything, it would only make sense that he'll take credit for healthy growth engineered by the next POTUS.

Obama didn't "stave off" anything...it was all pretty much over by the time he slapped his but down in the Oval Office.  His efforts to stimulate the economy and engineer a healthy recovery have been mediocre at best.

Revisionist history. It was the Bush Admins effort to deregulate which led to the recession to begin with. He did nothing to prevent it and did little to stop outside of bailing out corporations. That, along with his misguided war which cost billions, make him perhaps THE worst POTUS in modern history.
(06-06-2015, 09:37 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Well, with Obama still blaming Bush for about everything

Yeah, I just saw Obama blaming Bush the other day...  hurrrrrrrrr durrrrrrr