Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun shop found liable in shooting of two...
(10-14-2015, 04:06 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Riding a bicycle on the sidewalk,  while black kind of story ?
Ninja
I didn't read that part.  Dude was black?
(10-14-2015, 05:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: I have seen it in Minneapolis when I was there for a while. Maybe it's a Minnesota thing then.

Oh I believe you,  maybe it's because I live in Loveland OH (burb of Cinci) and we have a very popular bike trail here and there are bikes all over the place down here.  Nobody even bats an eye at it
(10-15-2015, 12:45 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I didn't read that part.  Dude was black?

Oh I believe you,  maybe it's because I live in Loveland OH (burb of Cinci) and we have a very popular bike trail here and there are bikes all over the place down here.  Nobody even bats an eye at it

Yes.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/47859617.html

Again though, the witnesses and footage showed the officers never drew their weapons.
So, I'm not implying anything.
Just thought that it was what you may have been implying.
Smirk
(10-15-2015, 12:58 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Yes.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/47859617.html

Again though, the witnesses and footage showed the officers never drew their weapons.
So, I'm not implying anything.
Just thought that it was what you may have been implying.
Smirk

Yeah no, I wasn't implying anything, I just missed that part.  I'll read your link in a minute, does it say why they stopped him other than just riding a bike on the sidewalk?
So I read the article and still nothing of why they stopped him.  Still no excuse for this situation, but I am curious why they stopped him in the first place.
BECAUSE HE WAS BIKING ON A SIDEWALK! It is illegal, legal in some places but not here, so they stopped him "stopped" could have been simply they walked up to ask him if he knew the law. Seriously, people have gotten way to hung up on the "why stop him?". The article didn't even give all the information to the trial, not sure why people want to dig into the bike stop. It literally has no barring what so ever on the illegal selling of the gun ,or the fact the guy shot two cops in the face. Stay focused people...
Bikes ride in the street here, we have bike lanes on most of them. The ones that we don't they ride near the curb.

Also should note most residential areas here do not have sidewalks. Unless its gated.

as for the gun shop, they need to do a better job, but criminals are going to do what they can to bypass the law. This is just another example of why these "checks" only hassle legal gun owners.
(10-15-2015, 12:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: BECAUSE HE WAS BIKING ON A SIDEWALK! It is illegal, legal in some places but not here, so they stopped him "stopped" could have been simply they walked up to ask him if he knew the law. Seriously, people have gotten way to hung up on the "why stop him?". The article didn't even give all the information to the trial, not sure why people want to dig into the bike stop. It literally has no barring what so ever on the illegal selling of the gun ,or the fact the guy shot two cops in the face. Stay focused people...

(10-15-2015, 12:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Bikes ride in the street here, we have bike lanes on most of them.   The ones that we don't they ride near the curb.  

Also should note most residential areas here do not have sidewalks.   Unless its gated.

as for the gun shop, they need to do a better job, but criminals are going to do what they can to bypass the law.    This is just another example of why these "checks" only hassle legal gun owners.

I can only assume you're referring to me though neither of you quoted me.  And I already said I certainly didn't think it  warranted being shot in the face.  Also bikes are also all over the place down here, roads , sidewalks, and bike trail.  I'm not saying it was legal or illegal, I'm saying pick your frickin battles.  Still curious why they stopped him.  As it stands right now, two guys are in the hospital  because they stopped a guy for riding his bike on the sidewalk.  And I agree the gun shops need to be held responsible.

Anybody have any new info on as to why he was stopped.  Yes it matters.
(10-15-2015, 01:09 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I can only assume you're referring to me though neither of you quoted me.  And I already said I certainly didn't think it  warranted being shot in the face.  Also bikes are also all over the place down here, roads , sidewalks, and bike trail.  I'm not saying it was legal or illegal, I'm saying pick your frickin battles.  Still curious why they stopped him.  As it stands right now, two guys are in the hospital  because they stopped a guy for riding his bike on the sidewalk.  And I agree the gun shops need to be held responsible.

Anybody have any new info on as to why he was stopped.  Yes it matters.

I was not responding to your post. Just in general. We are in agreement here.
(10-15-2015, 01:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I was not responding to your post.  Just in general.   We are in agreement here.

I always feel weird inside when we agree on anything. Confused
(10-15-2015, 01:29 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I always feel weird inside when we agree on anything. Confused

Haha Rock On
(10-15-2015, 01:09 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Anybody have any new info on as to why he was stopped.  Yes it matters.

They said it in the article, he was stopped for riding his bike on the sidewalk. The fact people don't want to accept that as the reason shows their is a prejudice against white cops anytime they are dealing with a black citizen. When I was younger I was pulled over for accelerating out of my neighborhood quickly. I didn't speed and didn't break the law it just seemed suspicious. Cop asked me what I was doing, I explained and I went my way. Another time I was pulled over in downtown Columbus at night. The cop pulled me over because I was driving slowly (I was lost) and he wanted to see if I was trying to buy drugs. In both of these cases I was white and pulled over for no other reason than they thought something was up, the fact this person was in fact breaking a law gave them ample reason to stop him.

If people don't want a law enforced don't put it on the books, if you do then don't play the race card when it is enforced. Maybe these guys stopped 5 other white bike riders that day? No one knows, but to instantly try and make this about race is part of the issue going on in the policing community relations dynamic. The fact multiple people act like breaking a law isn't reason to stop someone,not ticket and not arrest them but simply stop them, shows how screwed up things have gotten.
(10-15-2015, 03:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: They said it in the article, he was stopped for riding his bike on the sidewalk. The fact people don't want to accept that as the reason shows their is a prejudice against white cops anytime they are dealing with a black citizen. When I was younger I was pulled over for accelerating out of my neighborhood quickly. I didn't speed and didn't break the law it just seemed suspicious. Cop asked me what I was doing, I explained and I went my way. Another time I was pulled over in downtown Columbus at night. The cop pulled me over because I was driving slowly (I was lost) and he wanted to see if I was trying to buy drugs. In both of these cases I was white and pulled over for no other reason than they thought something was up, the fact this person was in fact breaking a law gave them ample reason to stop him.

If people don't want a law enforced don't put it on the books, if you do then don't play the race card when it is enforced. Maybe these guys stopped 5 other white bike riders that day? No one knows, but to instantly try and make this about race is part of the issue going on in the policing community relations dynamic. The fact multiple people act like breaking a law isn't reason to stop someone,not ticket and not arrest them but simply stop them, shows how screwed up things have gotten.

I got pulled over by the local cop one morning on the way to work.  It was 4:30am and I kind of slid through the stop sign and he happened to be parked in the next parking lot.  I explained who I was, that I lived on the street I just left, and where I was going.   They had had some vandalism on the road and were keeping an eye out for cars leaving in a hurry.

No fuss no muss.

But I'm white so I can't say if a cop would treat a black person differently in a different neighborhood at a different time.

Like this guy:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/videos/2015/10/15/man-perfectly-responds-to-police-questioning-for-jogging-while-black.html

Not saying all cops are racist or all cops are anything.  Clearly one cop in the above story was aware and did things the right way.  The other?  He's one of those types that leads to more stories and to more friction between whites and black in general.

Edit: Here is the place I first read it that explains the second officer who handled things much better.

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/15/where_you_been_running_from_watch_officers_try_to_detain_alabama_man_for_jogging_at_night_while_black/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-15-2015, 03:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: I got pulled over by the local cop one morning on the way to work.  It was 4:30am and I kind of slid through the stop sign and he happened to be parked in the next parking lot.  I explained who I was, that I lived on the street I just left, and where I was going.   They had had some vandalism on the road and were keeping an eye out for cars leaving in a hurry.

No fuss no muss.

But I'm white so I can't say if a cop would treat a black person differently in a different neighborhood at a different time.

Like this guy:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/videos/2015/10/15/man-perfectly-responds-to-police-questioning-for-jogging-while-black.html

Not saying all cops are racist or all cops are anything.  Clearly one cop in the above story was aware and did things the right way.  The other?  He's one of those types that leads to more stories and to more friction between whites and black in general.

Edit:  Here is the place I first read it that explains the second officer who handled things much better.

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/15/where_you_been_running_from_watch_officers_try_to_detain_alabama_man_for_jogging_at_night_while_black/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Completely understand. My issue is simply that there has been no questioning by media, or by the kid who got stopped, about the officers improperly stopping him. I just don't understand why that is the first thing people gravitate to, actually I do and it is part of the issue. Yes, some cops are prejudice (won't say racist as, that is actually misused in most cases by definition), but it is also a prejudice to assume that every cop who stops a black citizen and is white is doing it because they are black.
(10-15-2015, 04:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: Completely understand. My issue is simply that there has been no questioning by media, or by the kid who got stopped, about the officers improperly stopping him. I just don't understand why that is the first thing people gravitate to, actually I do and it is part of the issue. Yes, some cops are prejudice (won't say racist as, that is actually misused in most cases by definition), but it is also a prejudice to assume that every cop who stops a black citizen and is white is doing it because they are black.

Totally get where you are coming from.  A legit stop is a legit stop in my book.

Your story just reminded me of mine and how its different in different parts of the country.  I was in a small, mostly white town.  Don't want to distract from the rest of the story though. Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.