Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Octopuses are Aliens
(08-23-2015, 02:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Scientific theory have to be based on things that are scientifically possible.

That is why they exclude magic as an answer.

Everything that we happen to need in order to exist just so happened to arrive by way of meteors. 

Magical.  
(08-23-2015, 11:44 AM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: Very large difference between "science" and "scientific theory".  

Another person who doesn't understand the term "theory" as it applies to the scientific community.  Sadly predictable.
(08-23-2015, 03:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Another person who doesn't understand the term "theory" as it applies to the scientific community.  Sadly predictable.

What's even more sadly predictable is you being a condescending tool.

Add something worthwhile to the discussion or get your shine box.  
(08-23-2015, 03:48 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: What's even more sadly predictable is you being a condescending tool.

Add something worthwhile to the discussion or get your shine box.  

Good to see you Tommy, I was wondering when you were going to give yourself up.  In the meantime, please explain what the term "theory" means in the science community and why your statement is consequently insipid at the very least.
(08-23-2015, 04:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Good to see you Tommy, I was wondering when you were going to give yourself up.

Wait! I thought I was Tommy.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-23-2015, 04:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Good to see you Tommy, I was wondering when you were going to give yourself up.  In the meantime, please explain what the term "theory" means in the science community and why your statement is consequently insipid at the very least.

Scientific theory is different than scientific law. 

There's a reason for that.  Guess what that reason is.  
(08-23-2015, 04:20 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: Scientific theory is different than scientific law. 

What's the difference?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-23-2015, 04:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Wait! I thought I was Tommy.

No, I've never accused you of being an alter.  

(08-23-2015, 04:20 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: Scientific theory is different than scientific law. 

Please explain both, because your previous post makes my think you understand neither.
In general, a scientific theory is nothing more than a hypothesis (guess) that has not been either proven or disproven.

A law is generally considered fact based on experimentation and data.
(08-23-2015, 04:46 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: In general, a scientific theory is nothing more than a hypothesis (guess) that has not been either proven or disproven.

100%incorrect, please try again. 

Quote:A law is generally considered fact based on experimentation and data.

Closer, but, still not corrcet
(08-23-2015, 04:48 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: 100%incorrect, please try again. 

Closer, but, still not corrcet

I can't tell you how shocked I am that you called me incorrect. 

Maybe you should learn how to spell "correct" before you try to play internet genius.  Might help your cause. 

And when you're done with that, maybe you can contact this website, and let them know that they're incorrect.

Theory

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis or group of hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. A theory is valid as long as there is no evidence to dispute it. Therefore, theories can be disproven. Basically, if evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, then the hypothesis can become accepted as a good explanation of a phenomenon.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry101/a/lawtheory.htm
How in the hell do people not know what a scientific theory is?  This is stuff we should be learning before beginning high school.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(08-23-2015, 05:11 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: How in the hell do people not know what a scientific theory is?  This is stuff we should be learning before beginning high school.

It is sad, but seeing as Tommy exists only to troll and spew idiocy I suppose we can't be too shocked.

Corrcet?  Smirk
(08-23-2015, 04:46 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: In general, a scientific theory is nothing more than a hypothesis (guess) that has not been either proven or disproven.  

This, as opposed to this;

(08-23-2015, 04:53 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis or group of hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. A theory is valid as long as there is no evidence to dispute it. Therefore, theories can be disproven. Basically, if evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, then the hypothesis can become accepted as a good explanation of a phenomenon.

One of these things is not like the other.   Yawn

The difference between a law and theory is that a law tells us what will happen based on past observations (usually using a formula) while a theory explains why it'll happen based on past observations.

Since both are supported by evidence and observation, they can both be disproven if evidence and observation contradict them.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Scientific Theory = a collection of facts that offer an explanation for a wide range of observations.
·         Theories have withstood repeated investigations, often over many years.
·         Theories often connect previously unconnected facts, ideas or branches of science. Example: Darwin’s theory of evolution.

Scientific Law = describes a pattern in nature, but does not offer an explanation.
·         Laws tell how things happen in nature.
·         Arise from repeated observations. Example: Newton’s Law of Universal Gravitation.

Scientific theories are actually stronger than single facts. This is due to theories being composed of multiple facts, and also having withstood repeated testing/investigation via the scientific method. Scientific laws simply describe patterns that happen the same way again and again in nature. In other words, laws describe our observations. The mistake most people make is assuming theories are guesses since the word theory is used (incorrectly) in everyday parlance to mean a guess, as in "I have a theory about who took my pencil".

In summation, theories are stronger than single facts, and laws simply describe what we see in nature but do not tell us why.
(08-23-2015, 06:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The difference between a law and theory is that a law tells us what will happen based on past observations (usually using a formula) while a theory explains why it'll happen based on past observations.

Since both are supported by evidence and observation, they can both be disproven if evidence and observation contradict them.

I'll buy that. 
(08-23-2015, 05:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It is sad, but seeing as Tommy exists only to troll and spew idiocy I suppose we can't be too shocked.

Corrcet?  Smirk

You've added nothing to the discussion but insults, and claim I'm only here to troll?
(08-23-2015, 08:07 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: You've added nothing to the discussion but insults, and claim I'm only here to troll?

If you consider pointing out that you're apparently incapable of defining "theory" correctly in regards to this discussion an insult, then maybe.  Perhaps you missed my first post in this thread, you know, the one before you contributed your special brand of banality to it.  Keep trying though Tommy, there might be one person viewing this thread foolish enough to be spoon fed your special brand of pablum.  
(08-23-2015, 08:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If you consider pointing out that you're apparently incapable of defining "theory" correctly in regards to this discussion an insult, then maybe.  Perhaps you missed my first post in this thread, you know, the one before you contributed your special brand of banality to it.  Keep trying though Tommy, there might be one person viewing this thread foolish enough to be spoon fed your special brand of pablum.  

This is probably the best post I've seen you make yet. 

You've really let me down in the shit-talking department until now.  I'll rep you for this one though.

I'd love to hang around, but I'm going to hit the range with my new Sig 1911 before Fear The Walking Dead comes on. 

Rock On