Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off-season plan, version 1.0
No, it isn't too early. Here is my first version of what i would like to see this offseason. I stayed out of the coaching discussion because I feel it is a waste of my time at this point, and there are plenty of other threads on that subject. Here goes:

1.) Sign FA Terrelle Pryor. Immediately, many will dismiss this idea by stating that the Bengals don't sign other team's FAs (this is true) or that they wouldn't spend the money (this is NOT true). They offered Marvin Jones the $8 million per year, and offered Reggie close to the $5 million the Raiders offered. It wasn't the money.

Pryor is a perfect fit for this offense. You have the future HOF player in AJ (Chad), the rising young talent in the slot in Boyd (TJ), and all that is missing is the vertical "X" receiver on the other side of AJ, which would be Pryor. He would be the new Chris Henry, and I think that is the key piece missing from this offense. If you think he wouldn't want to come here, consider this: His family is in Pennsylvania. He would never be double-teamed here. He has a QB that could get him the ball.

Can you imagine Pryor, AJ, Boyd, and Eifert on the field together? Yes, please.

2.) Sign Whit, Dre Kirkpatrick, and Rex Burkhead. Let the rest go.

3.) The draft is projected to have two extra fourth rounders and two extra sixth rounders. Don't trade out of what is sure to be a pretty high spot in Round 1 (right now, they would be picking at #5, I believe) Get the RDE that we need that should be able to dominate the one on one coverage. I want Myles Garrett(Texas A&M) the most, but Derek Barnett (Tenn), or Jonathon Allen (Bama) would all be huge for this team. One of them will be available when the Bengals pick. With Hardison and Billings coming back off injury, I think they could have the makings of a very good, young defensive line again.

4.) I wont bore you with all the mock selections or round-by-round rankings of needs, but here are the major position groups I would address after that first selection:

Center
LB
RB
Guard
Defensive Tackle/NT
WR
CB
K

5.) Trade McCarron for anything Round 2 or higher. I would rather just keep him as the backup (maybe there is a desperate team during the season) rather than see him go for anything lower than that.

There you have it. Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like some of your thoughts. Pryor would be a nice get, but he may command a lot. Not to mention he sometimes looks like a clown and crybaby on the Cleveland sidelines. Although, given their season that is somewhat understandable, but it would be a huge detriment to bring in a diva receiver when we already have a diva LB and diva CB.

My priorities for this offseason go as follows:

1.) Offer Marvin a face-saving option to leave. Retire or become GM, whatever it takes to get him out of HC position. The Bengals are not going to win a SB with Marvin being outcoached week in and week out.

2.) Bring in a firery new coach. My top candidate is Josh McDaniels. The Patriots are the model for performing well in rivalry, primetime, home, and playoff games. All areas the Bengals struggle in. McDaniels screwed up in Denver by questioning its current roster and could never get the full support of Cutler or Brandon Marshall. But I think he offers the preparedness, creativeness, and emotional aspects that the Bengals need to take the next step.

3.) Re-sign the guys we definitely need. Whithworth, Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, Burkhead, Peerman, and maybe Winston.

4.) Draft linemen. I think the second biggest reason for the Bengals struggles this year besides the coaching, are the lines on both sides of the ball. I have seen some early mock drafts having us get Fournette or other playmaker positions which I do not agree with. Your offense is going to struggle no matter what if the line is going give up the pressure like ours does. Defensively, we get no pressure which exposes our secondary's weaknesses. We have slow, old LBs and DBs trying to cover guys a lot longer than they should have to. So I say we go DL in the 1st (or Peppers if he is still ranked as a top 5 prospect), OL (namely C) in the 2nd, and then address WR, RB, or whatever else is there in the later rounds.

5.) Bring in competent and leadership role FAs. Lafell was never going to light up the stat sheet, but he also does not offer much leadership either. He hasn't done much his whole career. That's a problem. I would have thought that Boldin would have been perfect for this role. Look what has happened to the receiving core in Detroit since Calvin left. I do like the idea of Pryor, but he might command too much than the Bengals are willing to give. I do see guys like Vincent Jackson or Robert Mathis filling those roles.

6.) Invest in a new kicker.
Reply/Quote
fire Marvin, pay the money for a top coach and give him the authority to hire his own staff- just like every other NFL or college team when there is a change in head coach.

Of course this will not happen because Mike Brown won't want to pay off the contracts.

Nothing is going to change with coaching staff or management even if we lose out.
Reply/Quote
I like the idea of Pryor...but I don't know if he comes here as he was in camp with us and we cut him.

Too bad the Bengals didn't try to move him to WR.
Reply/Quote
- Have Marvin Lewis step down "voluntarily," and give the new head coach complete freedom to pick his own staff.

That needs to happen above all else.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 02:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I like the idea of Pryor...but I don't know if he comes here as he was in camp with us and we cut him.

that's a pretty good reason for why he may not come here..admitting they made a mistake (also not sure Browns will let him walk)...

Still i agree I think we need a legit WR2.

I'd go free agency for a RT , I'd go draft for RDE / pass rusher - seems OT is more problematic to fill at the top of the draft so i'd rather go with a proven commodity.

Resign Zeit and Dre K - I think the club were sure they would not need to sign both with their drafting of OL /CB but we got it wrong so will have to pay both - being on a losing team may make them more affordable.

Draft a LB in round 2 - If we lose Burfict this position is going to be even more of a liability next year..really need genuine quality here not re-treads.

Sort out free safety - Williams/Iloka are more enforcers not centre fielders.  Find out who is our best fit even if that means benching one of the guys who justs got paid.   Iloka in a competition with Williams for box safety makes us better.  Derron Smith in a competition with Fedeljm/Smith also makes us better.

Would love McDaniels but ain't gonna happen
Reply/Quote
I would rather keep Zeitler then Kirkpatrick.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Give young guys as much PT as possible before season ends if healthy.
This includes, Vigil, Dawson, Fej, Dennard, Russell, Clarke, Core.

Fire Marvin, no GM offer.

Fire Haslett, Burney, and Coyle.

Fire Zampese and Alexander.

Hire a new coach and let him pick the replacements. I like McDaniels, Patricia, Joseph. Maybe even look into the legalities of poaching Hue or Zimmer.

Let Peko, Maualuga, Dansby, Hunt, Zeitler, Peerman all walk.

Re-sign Dre, Whitworth, Burkhead, Lafell (if he is a FA, I can't recall)

Take a flyer on Andre Smith if he's healthy. He'd be cheap.

Sign Brandon Williams, Jabaal Sheard in FA.

Trade back to mid first, trade AJM for a 3rd.

Draft Cam Robinson to play RT in 1, draft Pat Elfein to replace Bodine. Have a 3 way battle for RT spot between Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Westerman.

Draft Devonta Fields in rd 3.

Move Shawn Williams to OLB. Replace him with Smith or Shaw.
Reply/Quote
Im done with Peko and Sims. My #1 target would be Dontari Poe. And I would like to add Sheard to the DL as well. In the draft add a DE who has the speed to get to the QB before they throw the ball.

Dunlap poe atkins sheard
MJ Clarke Billings Hardison Draft pick
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 04:14 PM)samhain Wrote: Give young guys as much PT as possible before season ends if healthy.
This includes, Vigil, Dawson, Fej, Dennard, Russell, Clarke, Core.

Fire Marvin, no GM offer.  

Fire Haslett, Burney, and Coyle.  

Fire Zampese and Alexander.

Hire a new coach and let him pick the replacements.  I like McDaniels, Patricia, Joseph.  Maybe even look into the legalities of poaching Hue or Zimmer.

Let Peko, Maualuga, Dansby, Hunt, Zeitler, Peerman all walk.

Re-sign Dre, Whitworth, Burkhead, Lafell (if he is a FA, I can't recall)

Take a flyer on Andre Smith if he's healthy.  He'd be cheap.

Sign Brandon Williams, Jabaal Sheard in FA.

Trade back to mid first, trade AJM for a 3rd.  

Draft Cam Robinson to play RT in 1, draft Pat Elfein to replace Bodine.  Have a 3 way battle for RT spot between Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Westerman.

Draft Devonta Fields in rd 3.

Move Shawn Williams to OLB.  Replace him with Smith or Shaw.

Well thought out. This team needs new lbs desperately. Moving SW to OLB may work.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 04:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Im done with Peko and Sims. My #1 target would be Dontari Poe. And I would like to add Sheard to the DL as well. In the draft add a DE who has the speed to get to the QB before they throw the ball.

Dunlap poe atkins sheard

Brandon Williams is a beast, too.  May be cheaper than Poe.  
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 03:44 PM)sonofstat Wrote: that's a pretty good reason for why he may not come here..admitting they made a mistake (also not sure Browns will let him walk)...

Still i agree I think we need a legit WR2.

I'd go free agency for a RT , I'd go draft for RDE / pass rusher - seems OT is more problematic to fill at the top of the draft so i'd rather go with a proven commodity.

Resign Zeit and Dre K - I think the club were sure they would not need to sign both with their drafting of OL /CB but we got it wrong so will have to pay both - being on a losing team may make them more affordable.

Draft a LB in round 2 - If we lose Burfict this position is going to be even more of a liability next year..really need genuine quality here not re-treads.

Sort out free safety - Williams/Iloka are more enforcers not centre fielders.  Find out who is our best fit even if that means benching one of the guys who justs got paid.   Iloka in a competition with Williams for box safety makes us better.  Derron Smith in a competition with Fedeljm/Smith also makes us better.

Would love McDaniels but ain't gonna happen

I think the problem with filling needs through the draft...is in Year 1 we rarely have guys who contribute.

You have to expect a Top 10 pick to come in and be a starter.

I kind of like the idea of a guy like Jabril Peppers who could be a hybrid safety/LB. I just hope that the coaching staff is creative enough to use him.
Reply/Quote
Unless an offseason begins with wholesale coaching changes, won't matter what we do with the roster.

Saw 2 people mention Sheard. No Thanks. The guy was just benched for lack of effort and performance. Why would you want a player like that?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 04:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Im done with Peko and Sims. My #1 target would be Dontari Poe. And I would like to add Sheard to the DL as well. In the draft add a DE who has the speed to get to the QB before they throw the ball.

Dunlap poe atkins sheard

We don't sign top tier free agents here. There's next to a 0% chance that we add Poe.

Look for a former 1st Round pick that was a bust...and add him into the mix.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 02:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I like the idea of Pryor...but I don't know if he comes here as he was in camp with us and we cut him.

They tried to move him to WR, but he was too stubborn. That was Pryor's problem for a while. He was adamant to play QB in this league. The Browns were actually close to cutting him (a 2nd time) and he said he'd move to WR.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I would offer a 3rd round pick for Hue Jackson and make him the HC. The new look Browns front office loves draft picks!
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 10:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: No, it isn't too early.  Here is my first version of what i would like to see this offseason.  I stayed out of the coaching discussion because I feel it is a waste of my time at this point, and there are plenty of other threads on that subject.  Here goes:

1.) Sign FA Terrelle Pryor.  Immediately, many will dismiss this idea by stating that the Bengals don't sign other team's FAs (this is true) or that they wouldn't spend the money (this is NOT true).  They offered Marvin Jones the $8 million per year, and offered Reggie close to the $5 million the Raiders offered.  It wasn't the money.  

Pryor is a perfect fit for this offense.  You have the future HOF player in AJ (Chad), the rising young talent in the slot in Boyd (TJ), and all that is missing is the vertical "X" receiver on the other side of AJ, which would be Pryor.  He would be the new Chris Henry, and I think that is the key piece missing from this offense.  If you think he wouldn't want to come here, consider this:  His family is in Pennsylvania.  He would never be double-teamed here.  He has a QB that could get him the ball.  

Can you imagine Pryor, AJ, Boyd, and Eifert on the field together?  Yes, please.  

2.) Sign Whit, Dre Kirkpatrick, and Rex Burkhead.  Let the rest go.  

3.) The draft is projected to have two extra fourth rounders and two extra sixth rounders.  Don't trade out of what is sure to be a pretty high spot in Round 1 (right now, they would be picking at #5, I believe)  Get the RDE that we need that should be able to dominate the one on one coverage.  I want Myles Garrett(Texas A&M) the most, but Derek Barnett (Tenn), or Jonathon Allen (Bama) would all be huge for this team.  One of them will be available when the Bengals pick.  With Hardison and Billings coming back off injury, I think they could have the makings of a very good, young defensive line again.  

4.) I wont bore you with all the mock selections or round-by-round rankings of needs, but here are the major position groups I would address after that first selection:

Center
LB
RB
Guard
Defensive Tackle/NT
WR
CB
K

5.) Trade McCarron for anything Round 2 or higher.  I would rather just keep him as the backup (maybe there is a desperate team during the season) rather than see him go for anything lower than that.

There you have it.  Thoughts?

I think you've got a solid plan, even though I would go about things a lot differently.

1.We need a #2, and I do think Pryor would provide a much needed added vertical threat.  That said, we have a lot of holes and the FA WR market is always expensive, so I think we could get better bang for our buck at other positions.  I would personally also like to keep Clemson's Mike Williams in play with our first rounder in case Allen and Garrett are gone.

2.I'm definitely with you on Whit and Rex.  I would like to keep Dre, but I think he will be in high demand, and I would like to think one or more of our young CB's can fill that spot.

3.100% with you on Garrett or Allen.  I would only take Barnett after a trade down.

4.Filling our need at C via the draft is a big gamble.  We should be in a great position to get a 1st round talent that falls at the top of 2, and there's only 1 C worth the pick(Pocic).  If he's gone, we're going to be reaching.  I would rather get a serviceable C like Wallace in FA.  I think DT is a higher priority, in my eyes.

5.McCarron should get dealt, and Brown won't trade him unless he's screwing the other team.  We'll get at least a 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 11:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think you've got a solid plan, even though I would go about things a lot differently.

1.We need a #2, and I do think Pryor would provide a much needed added vertical threat.  That said, we have a lot of holes and the FA WR market is always expensive, so I think we could get better bang for our buck at other positions.  I would personally also like to keep Clemson's Mike Williams in play with our first rounder in case Allen and Garrett are gone.

2.I'm definitely with you on Whit and Rex.  I would like to keep Dre, but I think he will be in high demand, and I would like to think one or more of our young CB's can fill that spot.

3.100% with you on Garrett or Allen.  I would only take Barnett after a trade down.

4.Filling our need at C via the draft is a big gamble.  We should be in a great position to get a 1st round talent that falls at the top of 2, and there's only 1 C worth the pick(Pocic).  If he's gone, we're going to be reaching.  I would rather get a serviceable C like Wallace in FA.  I think DT is a higher priority, in my eyes.

5.McCarron should get dealt, and Brown won't trade him unless he's screwing the other team.  We'll get at least a 2nd.

I hear ya about it being a risk, but there will be other top talent at other positions at the top of Rd 2....I disagree about the need for DT, though.  The Bengals have Billings and Hardison coming back off injury.  They also have Geno, and will likely draft a Peko-clone at NT.  They won't have to use a very early pick for that.  Just an early down run-stuffer.  
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 03:58 PM)J24 Wrote: I would rather keep Zeitler then Kirkpatrick.

Not me....I think Westerman could fill the void left by Zeitler's departure.  We haven't seen enough of Dennard or WJIII to think we could let Dre go, and we would be paper-thin in depth at the CB position.  Dre stays.  You could make an argument about Zeitler staying as well, but it would need to be a realistic contract.  If he thinks he is getting anything close to DeCastro money, he's crazy.  

Let some other team sign him for too much money, and gain a 3rd round compensatory pick for him in 2019.  
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 08:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not me....I think Westerman could fill the void left by Zeitler's departure.  We haven't seen enough of Dennard or WJIII to think we could let Dre go, and we would be paper-thin in depth at the CB position.  Dre stays.  You could make an argument about Zeitler staying as well, but it would need to be a realistic contract.  If he thinks he is getting anything close to DeCastro money, he's crazy.  

Let some other team sign him for too much money, and gain a 3rd round compensatory pick for him in 2019.  

Funny how things change. 

Couple of years back I would have said Zeitler all the way would be re-signed and DreK walks. Especially as Dennard was drafted R1...

Now I think the bigger impact right now would be to lose Drek so if it was one i would resign him. 

To be honest if we're putting money down on the OLine right now I would look at the RT options as if that stays an issue next year then even having John Hannah as your OG is not gonna stop dalton getting blasted by edge rushers. Can't believe we can eke another decent year out of Winston.

I would prefer to keep Zeitler too but its all about the cash....unfortunately we've got so many holes so its about priorities.  

Damn...it would be a lot simpler if Fisher and/or Ced miraculously show some improvement.  Would give us so much more flexibility in rebuilding DE/LB
Reply/Quote