Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Offense (Deep-Dive Analysis Using PFF Ratings)
(11-05-2018, 01:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t understand why Mixon is ranked so low. He’s put up good numbers in only 6 games.

I read somewhere that up until the Tampa Bay game, Mixon had only broken 4 tackles all season. I bet this has something to do with the lower rating. Whether it's fair that they ding him that much because of the lack of broken tackles is up for debate, but there's no doubt when he's contacted he's probably getting tackled.
Reply/Quote
Two major things:
1. Mixon is definitely better than that. They have him with a low amount of tackles missed because he gets around players not through them, which can hurt his grade missing some key stat of theirs.

2. Don't trust PFF on Oline at all seeing as that has so many factors we'll never get. Hart and Redmon are obviously terrible, but still take it with a grain of salt
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 08:51 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: I read somewhere that up until the Tampa Bay game, Mixon had only broken 4 tackles all season. I bet this has something to do with the lower rating. Whether it's fair that they ding him that much because of the lack of broken tackles is up for debate, but there's no doubt when he's contacted he's probably getting tackled.

I think that the whether things are fair or not can be debated, but they use the same system to rate every RB...so it atleast is a good barometer of how they stand among their peers.

I think that maybe I will look at how the Bengals compare as a Unit to say the Steelers so we can see how far away or how close we are to them.
Reply/Quote
I heard Teddy Bruschi mention on Golic and Wingo this morning that good offenses nowadays tend to have 3 good contributors, and that typically has been two pass catchers and a RB. I think the Bengals have had that this year with Boyd emerging and I think that's why the offense has been successful. Green #1, Boyd #2, Mixon #3. I think someone really needs to step up though with Green out because otherwise Boyd will just get double-teamed and the defense will stack the LOS to defend Mixon.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 12:38 AM)Shady Wrote: The drafting of Ogbwehe and Fischer screwed this team. So far, the drafting of John Ross hasn't helped. I think our reputation for such great drafts might need a little scrutiny.

Ced is/was a flaming turd.  Has Ross been misused?  Would he be the same way if playing for KC, SF, or even Cleveland?  
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 02:06 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Exactly, james rapien on locked on bengals have been preaching this, ive been preaching this, but our fans thought we could get by with just green and boyd and mixon. Now green is hurt for a while and they are all panickibg, except the organization isnt. They are happy with running erickson out there. I swear im ready to give up on this team. Im sick of always thinking they are idiots and not trying to win,and im sick of steeler fans thinking they are winners and bengals fans are losers. Im sick of the corrupt nfl and the refs who help certain teams. Im just sick of it all.

I'm with you. NFL is almost unwatchable at all anymore for me. Outside of trying to watch the Bengals when I can, I have turned it off completely. No interest in the "new" NFL. Its more corrupt than ever favoring big market teams, and refs are ruining the game, and whats worse is they are not held accountable in any way for it. If they made the refs do a public press conference after every game like the coaches and players have to, things might be a little more interesting under these new wuss-based, "at the refs discretion" rules. Let reporters show them replays and ask the hard questions. But they literally have no real accountability except to their own. Its boring, its lame and its really unwatchable. If I hadn't been stuck a Bengal fan for 40 years it would not be in my life at all anymore. College and high school football are far, far superior product/games these days.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 09:08 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm with you. NFL is almost unwatchable at all anymore for me. Outside of trying to watch the Bengals when I can, I have turned it off completely. No interest in the "new" NFL. Its more corrupt than ever favoring big market teams, and refs are ruining the game, and whats worse is they are not held accountable in any way for it. If they made the refs do a public press conference after every game like the coaches and players have to, things might be a little more interesting under these new wuss-based, "at the refs discretion" rules. Let reporters show them replays and ask the hard questions. But they literally have no real accountability except to their own. Its boring, its lame and its really unwatchable. If I hadn't been stuck a Bengal fan for 40 years it would not be in my life at all anymore. College and high school football are far, far superior product/games these days.

I dunno man.....college is getting pretty bad these days too. Targeting, overzealous taunting calls (for end zone celebrations), etc. are ruining it as well. 

I love that idea about making refs subject to pressers. That would be awesome...lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 07:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ced is/was a flaming turd.  Has Ross been misused?  Would he be the same way if playing for KC, SF, or even Cleveland?  

The misuse thing is interesting. They try to use him like Tyreke Hill...it just doesnt work.

His game speed seems slow compared to his timed speed.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 10:38 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I dunno man.....college is getting pretty bad these days too. Targeting, overzealous taunting calls (for end zone celebrations), etc. are ruining it as well. 

I love that idea about making refs subject to pressers. That would be awesome...lol.

I agree. I would love to hear the stuttering explanations of horrible calls by the Mr. McGoo committee.

[Image: magoo4dn6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I would like to see a big push for the ref presser thing. They need held accountable and they are not. I heard Bob Huggins say that once and its the best idea I've heard for the refs.
Reply/Quote
Refs are basically the representation of the nfl..i have a feeling they tell the refs who to favor in the game and they say yes boss and go out there and win the game for them..i hope its exposed one day. Oh and if they had a presser theyd just spew the bs they already do now.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 11:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The misuse thing is interesting. They try to use him like Tyreke Hill...it just doesnt work.

His game speed seems slow compared to his timed speed.

I don't think they have used him much at all.  Tyreek Hill is a huge part of what KC does....Completely disagree about what he looks like on the field.  Just not enough opportunities.  

I haven't seen one screen this year with him.  If ever, while in stripes.  If Green was doubled, He should have one-on-one coverage and if he is able to make one man miss, he's gone.  

I just don't get it.

And, yes, I understand you can't use him if injured.  
Reply/Quote
Here are updated ratings.

QB -
Andy Dalton - 84.1 (High Quality), #8 ranked QB. Andy is having a great year. A lot of us rank him around a mid tier QB...but he's clearly Top 10 this year. UPDATED 82.7 #10 ranked QB.

RB -
Mixon - 66.0, #35 ranked HB. UPDATED 70.4 #27 ranked RB. His rating is slowly improving.
Bernard - 70.2, #24 ranked HB which classifies as Good. The loss of Bernard has been huge this year.

WR -
AJ Green - 86.7 (High Quality) #7 ranked WR.
Tyler Boyd - 84.4 (High Quality) #11 ranked WR. UPDATED: 83.8 #12 ranked WR.
These 2 are performing highly as a great Duo.

John Ross - 53.3 #110 ranked WR. UPDATED 56.4 #107 ranked WR.
Core - 51.1
Malone - 51.2
Erickson - 49.1 #115 ranked WR.

TE -
Eifert - 72.2 which was considered as Good.
Kroft - 55.8
Uzomah - 58.9 #39 ranked TE. UPDATED 59.7 - #42 ranked TE.
Schreck - 30.5 - WOW REALLY LOW.
Lengel 48.1

Offensive Line -
Center-
Hopkins - 61.7 #19 ranked Center (Slight Improvement over Bodine last year for sure. Bodine was in the mid to upper 50's if memory serves me.) UPDATED 60.6 #21 ranked Center.
Price - 57.7 UPDATED 58.9.

Guard -
Boling- 64.4 #28 Guard - UPDATED 64.6 Rating #30 Guard.
Redmond - 54.9 #54 Guard - UPDATED - 54.9 #54 Guard. His rating is now in the Orange which means he's doing pretty bad.
Westerman - 74.3 in limited snaps.

Tackle-
Hart - 56.4 #63 Tackle. UPDATED 54.0 #67 rated Tackle.
Glenn - 62.0 #50 Tackled (He's been improving his rating as of late.) UPDATED 57.6 #62 rated Tackle. His play is declining as of late.

UPDATES - Hart and Redmond are terrible. Glenn's rating is dropping fast. You aren't going to win in the NFL with 4 of your 5 lineman rated in the 50's and the 5th ranked in the mid 60's. We have the worst line in football.
Reply/Quote
Our offensive grades are pathetic. 4 of our 5 lineman are rated in the 50's with the 5th being mid-60's.

Our PFF grades are actually WORSE than last year.

Glenn has been a major bust of an acquisition.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 12:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our offensive grades are pathetic. 4 of our 5 lineman are rated in the 50's with the 5th being mid-60's.

Our PFF grades are actually WORSE than last year.

Glenn has been a major bust of an acquisition.

I don't understand why they're determined to keep running Redmond out there ?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 12:15 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't understand why they're determined to keep running Redmond out there ?

Westerman is CLEARLY a better option.

Then you have to think that Price will continue to improve.

We'd be down to needing 2 Tackles then.
Reply/Quote
Just don't see top 10 in Andy this year

He is 25th in completion percentage
17th in passing yards
22nd in yards per attempt
9th in TD passes...his best stat
Thrown the 4th most int's though
20th in qb rating..which I know these ratings can vary

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating
Reply/Quote