Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Offense/Defense 2019 vs 2020
I thought it'd be interesting to take a look at where our offense and defense ranked at the end of last season and where they rank currently this year. Plus, I don't think we're miserable enough around here.

Offense
26th in total yards (19th in passing yards, 25th in rushing yards)
30th in scoring

27th in total yards (20th in passing yards, 30th in rushing yards)
25th in scoring

Defense
29th in yards allowed (21st in passing, 32nd in rushing)
25th in scoring

24th in yards allowed (6th in passing, 31st in rushing)
24th in scoring

Looks like, so far, the defense got better ever so slightly and the offense got worse except in scoring.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
New players.

Same coaches.

Same schemes.

Same results.

This isn't rocket science.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:33 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I thought it'd be interesting to take a look at where our offense and defense ranked at the end of last season and where they rank currently this year. Plus, I don't think we're miserable enough around here.

Offense
30th in scoring

25th in scoring

Defense
25th in scoring

24th in scoring

Looks like, so far, the defense got better ever so slightly and the offense got worse except in scoring.

Our D improved because we got rid of Dre and Vigil.  Our LB are quicker now. And our good rookie players are now better and more experienced.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 10:05 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: New players.

Same coaches.

Same schemes.

Same results.

This isn't rocket science.

Bratkoski was sooooooooooooooo predictable but at least a little better coordinated and more daring.  Zac needs to stop running the offense.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:33 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I thought it'd be interesting to take a look at where our offense and defense ranked at the end of last season and where they rank currently this year. Plus, I don't think we're miserable enough around here.

Offense
30th in scoring

25th in scoring

Defense
25th in scoring

24th in scoring

I checked PFF grades for LBs since I realized I hadn't looked yet this year.
Good news - Wilson and Pratt have good coverage grades.
Bad news - All LBs other than Bynes have bad run defense grades. Wilson and Pratt have grades in the 30's for run defense.

For DL, Hubbard and Reader have good run defense grades, but Dunlap and Daniels do not.

In regards to offense, the only OL with a solid run blocking grade is Bobby Hart.
Williams and Hopkins have good pass blocking grades.
The guards have been the worst starters on the OL both in pass blocking and run blocking.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I checked PFF grades for LBs since I realized I hadn't looked yet this year.
Good news - Wilson and Pratt have good coverage grades.
Bad news - All LBs other than Bynes have bad run defense grades. Wilson and Pratt have grades in the 30's for run defense.

For DL, Hubbard and Reader have good run defense grades, but Dunlap and Daniels do not.

In regards to offense, the only OL with a solid run blocking grade is Bobby Hart.
Williams and Hopkins have good pass blocking grades.
The guards have been the worst starters on the OL both in pass blocking and run blocking.

Overall the team is graded 15th.

Offense 24th
Defense 11th
Special teams 4th

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 01:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Overall the team is graded 15th.

Offense 24th
Defense 11th
Special teams 4th

More evidence Simmons should be the HC for the rest of the season to see what we have in him. If he can turn this ship around, give him a lifetime contract in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
Been some player turnover with additions on defense and offense.

Reader, Bell and some free agents were added but the defense has been missing its best player in Atkins. All in all, im not sure it even matter. This coaching staff is just a train wreck.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 02:17 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: More evidence Simmons should be the HC for the rest of the season to see what we have in him. If he can turn this ship around, give him a lifetime contract in the offseason.

I'd be fine with promoting Simmons to OC but im not making him a head coach yet. Hire Bienemy and make Simmons his OC. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 02:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'd be fine with promoting Simmons to OC but im not making him a head coach yet. Hire Bienemy and make Simmons his OC. 

What’s his background in offense? At best he might be the next Harbaugh, jumping from ST to HC. I am not endorsing a coach with zero experience coordinating an offense to get his first try at the NFL level. You’re just setting him up for failure at that point.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:33 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Defense
25th in scoring

24th in scoring

Your stats are wrong.  Despite playing an entire extra overtime period our defense is currently in the top half of the league (14th) in scoring.

We are also 14th in yards allowed per play.

Only 38.9% of opponents drives end in a score.  That is 12th best in the league.

We are 18th in missed tackles, but we have faced the 4th most offensive plays (215).  So our missed tackle percentage is probably not that bad.

Our pass efficiency defense is FOURTH best in the league with an opponents passer rating of only 77.6.

Opponents only score a td 60% of the time when the enter the red zone.  That is 12th best in the league.

Our run defense is a nightmare and e don't get enough pressure on the passer, but our defense is not the complete dumpster fire that some people claim.

Our biggest problem on defense is the way he fall apart at the end of a half, and that just screams "COACHING!!"  Players don't just turn to crap in the final minutes.  That is a scheme issue.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 02:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'd be fine with promoting Simmons to OC but im not making him a head coach yet. Hire Bienemy and make Simmons his OC. 

I'd make Simmons head coach and Bieniemy OC instead of the other way around.  Simmons has much more NFL experience.
Reply/Quote
3 games in sample size. Watch the first 3 games last season especially game 2 against 49ers and then try and tell me through 3 games we don't look remarkably better on both sides of the ball even without arguably our best defensive player in Geno. I'm actually looking forward to watching this team on Sundays again. My head is telling me we are going to surprise a bunch of teams. Based on previous seasons my heart refuses to believe it yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 10:31 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: 3 games in sample size. Watch the first 3 games last season especially game 2 against 49ers and then try and tell me through 3 games we don't look remarkably better on both sides of the ball even without arguably our best defensive player in Geno. I'm actually looking forward to watching this team on Sundays again. My head is telling me we are going to surprise a bunch of teams. Based on previous seasons my heart refuses to believe it yet.

The Cleveland game really exposed what was already a mediocre to poor rush defense.  But considering we're missing our best defensive player, a starting CB and key pieces of the defensive line through several games, I see progress.  Is this unit elite or even good?  No, and they won't be this season.  But if they can be serviceable, as they were in week 1 and (up until the last scoring drive) in week 3, the team will be in a position to win games.  That is, if we can sort out the offensive line, which seems damn near unfixable at this point.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 12:59 PM)MickMack Wrote: The Cleveland game really exposed what was already a mediocre to poor rush defense.  But considering we're missing our best defensive player, a starting CB and key pieces of the defensive line through several games, I see progress.  Is this unit elite or even good?  No, and they won't be this season.  But if they can be serviceable, as they were in week 1 and (up until the last scoring drive) in week 3, the team will be in a position to win games.  That is, if we can sort out the offensive line, which seems damn near unfixable at this point.

Global Gladiators?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 01:20 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Global Gladiators?

Nah.  Statues named Mick and Mack at the University of Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd make Simmons head coach and Bieniemy OC instead of the other way around.  Simmons has much more NFL experience.

I don't see any reason Bieniemy would leave KC for a lateral move other than wanting to be the sole playcaller.
But if he can get a HC opportunity instead of that, he'd probably take that unless he didn't want to be a HC.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 04:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't see any reason Bieniemy would leave KC for a lateral move other than wanting to be the sole playcaller.

You are correct.  He would be crazy to take an OC job with any other team.  Right now he is working with the most talented offensive players in the league and the HC with the best offensive mind in the league.  No matter where he went he would not look as good as he does in KC.
Reply/Quote

Offense
30th in scoring

25th in scoring

Defense
25th in scoring

24th in scoring

What's sad is that they haven't played any good teams yet. There, I added some more miserableness for ya.

Reply/Quote