Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Offense Run Game Adjustment
(09-27-2023, 05:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Other than 2018 when Mixon had 4.9 YPC, he's mostly been in the 3.9 to 4.1 YPC range.
His age is not the problem.

Too often Mixon is getting hit in the backfield or right at the LOS.
The OL hasn't opened up many holes for him.
I would expect the same problems to happen for Bijan, but I do think he'd be a bit better.
Maybe in the 4.3-4.5 range.
I don't think he gets close to the 5.5 he's averaging in ATL.

I've been on record with how Mixon hasn't brought enough, efficiency-wise for a few years. This year, i have no real issue with him. He's running hard and showing better balance and vision. 

The problem this past monday was his last few carries and it wasn't really his fault. Late in the game he was averaging 4.9 per carry before getting fed to the IDL wolves the last few carries to run the clock out. 

If this year's Mixon keeps playing like he has the first 3 weeks, i'm quite happy with him. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 10:42 AM)depthchart Wrote: I agree.

For example, they had a lot of options at Tight End in early rounds last Draft and went other directions.

Getting a good TE seemed to be the talk of Fans Pre Draft yet they didn't even Draft one at all.

For the past two years, fans on this board have been prioritizing TE in the draft but the team goes a different direction.  I've come to the conclusion that TE is not a high priority focus in the Zac Taylor offense.  They seem to be content with having TEs that are reliable blockers and outlet/dump pass catchers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Especially with Burrow nursing the calf the Bengals are going to keep him in shotgun (also that he prefers shotgun). That means we run out of shotgun which makes the runs take a bit longer to develop and also allows the defense to see where the run is going to. It just is part of the scheme and will be.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 11:03 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For the past two years, fans on this board have been prioritizing TE in the draft but the team goes a different direction.  I've come to the conclusion that TE is not a high priority focus in the Zac Taylor offense.  They seem to be content with having TEs that are reliable blockers and outlet/dump pass catchers.

I think you are right.

Two Tight ends that the Fans and likely the Bengals felt were helpful:

CJ Uzomah  2021 Stats  49 catches 493 yards  5 touchdowns

Hayden Hurst  2022 Stats  52 catches 414 yards  2 touchdowns

*One advantage of this is that finding the next replacement Tight End should not be that hard or expensive 

to do & this may be by design.
Reply/Quote
With Burrow injured, the Bengals have thrown out virtually all the plays with Burrow under center. That's going to affect the run game; early last year when the Bengals offense was stalling 90% of the plays starting with Burrow under center were run plays.
Reply/Quote