Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Offense in 2019 what will the Bengals be better at?
I look for Boling, Price and Miller to open some good holes in the middle, so the inside running game should improve, greatly. By forcing the defense to respect the run, the passing game will open itself up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I only hope Zac will make his presence felt by being a better at time-management/TOs/red flag coach than Marvin, that will make the offense 10 times more effective and confident IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 09:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I look for Boling, Price and Miller to open some good holes in the middle, so the inside running game should improve, greatly.  By forcing the defense to respect the run, the passing game will open itself up.

This! To me the interior of the offensive line is the biggest question mark on the team. Can Price play as advertised from College? Is Miller a minor or major up grade over Redmond? Also can Boling or Westerman keep giving us good play at LG? I suspect we will get good play from those three positions this year and it will give our offense a major boost.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 10:11 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: This! To me the interior of the offensive line is the biggest question mark on the team. Can Price play as advertised from College? Is Miller a minor or major up grade over Redmond? Also can Boling or Westerman keep giving us good play at LG? I suspect we will get good play from those three positions this year and it will give our offense a major boost.

I'm guessing that they chose to go with John Miller, because of his good run blocking grade.  And nothing gives a mediocre pass blocker more confidence, than being able to establish himself against his opponent with some straight ahead run blocking.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Health is obviously the biggest part of it all.  That said, I think the coaching is going to be the biggest change, it has to.  I actually found a nugget written by Hobs that I agree with:

"I’ve been walking around bellowing, “Scheme It Up.” In fact, that’s what my 2019 training camp T-shirt would say. “Scheme It Up.” There’s just too much talent here on the offensive side of the ball to scrounge for points. Are you kidding me? A 4,000-yard passer, two 1,000-yard receivers, a 1,000-yard back? And Giovani Bernard and Tyler Eifert thrown in for fun?"

He absolutely nailed it.  Why were we often scrounging for points with that kind of production from skill players?  I know the oline is a problem, but still.....

You get the line shored up and playing better, there is no excuse for this offense to have to scratch and claw for points.  No excuse for Bernard to be an afterthought either.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It’s pretty much been said already but really knowing how to use the talent that we do have is key.
Reply/Quote
One thing that will be 100% guaranteed better than last year is post game press conferences!

No more "We have to do better" "We did some good things" "Do your job" with Marvin!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 12:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: Health is obviously the biggest part of it all.  That said, I think the coaching is going to be the biggest change, it has to.  I actually found a nugget written by Hobs that I agree with:

"I’ve been walking around bellowing, “Scheme It Up.” In fact, that’s what my 2019 training camp T-shirt would say. “Scheme It Up.” There’s just too much talent here on the offensive side of the ball to scrounge for points. Are you kidding me? A 4,000-yard passer, two 1,000-yard receivers, a 1,000-yard back? And Giovani Bernard and Tyler Eifert thrown in for fun?"

He absolutely nailed it.  Why were we often scrounging for points with that kind of production from skill players?  I know the oline is a problem, but still.....

You get the line shored up and playing better, there is no excuse for this offense to have to scratch and claw for points.  No excuse for Bernard to be an afterthought either.

As much grief as Hobson gets for his usual fluff pieces and unending cheerleading for what might have been's he's pretty astute at times as well. At the very least he has an easy writing style even if it's not very often what you want to read. He's got a knack for making the dumbest things sound like pure genius for a moment until you think about them then they revert back to dumb usually. I do agree though, this time he nailed it. Scheme it up for points instead of scheming to not lose.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Well, hopefully they get better at finding pictures of guys running the technology part of the analytics department instead of a chubby guy and two other guys pointing and laughing in the background...  bengals.com
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 11:20 AM)impactplaya Wrote: To me the key to the 2019 season comes down to the health of the offense.
Assuming the Bengals stay healthy on offense
what aspects of the offense do the think the Bengals
will be better at under Taylor/Callahan?
I realize its months before the draft.?

I can see the offense getting plays off at a faster pace.
that was a claim by Lewis last year and it only happened before the 1st half and at the end of a game.

I think the offense will not be so predictable on down and distance.
Lazor basically telegraphed his plays on formation... personal..

Lastly I think John Ross will actually used in relation to his skill set.
Taylor will get him the ball on the hashmarks down the middle
matched up with a 3rd CB or LB

O line play can’t be worse than last year, can it?
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Since it looks like a run-heavy OLine how about
Running effectively
Play action, AD seems to like it, coach him up here
More up tempo series, again, AD seems to thrive in this, puzzles me that previous OC didn't employ this more
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
i hope this new strength coach can make this oline much stronger overall. I saw too many linemen let a DT get his hands in his chest and just drive him 2 steps back forcing Mixon to change up his tracks and turn a 3 yd loss into a 1 yd gain.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 04:09 PM)grampahol Wrote: As much grief as Hobson gets for his usual fluff pieces and unending cheerleading for what might have been's he's pretty astute at times as well. At the very least he has an easy writing style even if it's not very often what you want to read. He's got a knack for making the dumbest things sound like pure genius for a moment until you think about them then they revert back to dumb usually. I do agree though, this time he nailed it. Scheme it up for points instead of scheming to not lose.

Absolutely agree gramps.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote