Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Line Grades Through 12 Weeks
(12-07-2019, 09:14 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is on the coach.  Every offensive linemen on the Bengals’ roster was a stud in college — even Billy Price.  When players get to Cincinnati they get worse with sloppy technique.

Every player drafted in the NFL was a stud in college and most of them fail no matter what team they go to. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 02:03 AM)BengalChris Wrote: It's either sucking by design or just plain one bad front office move after another. And the coaches sure are going along with it, so they suck just as much as the front office does.

The coaches have no choice.  How many coaches in the NFL cry about how bad their fron office is?
Reply/Quote
Is it true that Cedric Ogbuehi has allowed no sacks and 0 penalties in 148 snaps this year while scoring in the high 60s?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 12:09 PM)pally Wrote: I suspect its because of the inconsistency of strengths among the group.  For instance, you can't scheme to get Price downfield if the others can't support that.  I saw an article this year, that said Zac had to throw out half the playbook, because of the inabilities of the OL

Possibly, even likely so.  They might be able to improve the effectiveness of the inside running game, by running simple traps, and having the tackles block down.  Pretty basic stuff to execute, would give them something to draw confidence from.  Against an even front, the Center is uncovered, against an odd front the Guards are uncovered.  Should be relatively easy to get someone to the second level, on every single rushing play.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Will Bill Callahan be available after this season? Would Taylor let Turner go if he had the chance to bring in Brian’s dad?

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 12:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Will Bill Callahan be available after this season? Would Taylor let Turner go if he had the chance to bring in Brian’s dad?

Yes, he should be available.  I can't see him becoming the permanent head coach of Washington.  I do think if Bill were available and wanted it that they would let Turner go.  Keep in mind the Bill Callahan was Zac's college head coach.  Callahan is considered one of the best OL coaches in the league.  Dallas's line still has never performed the same since they let him go in 2015 despite quality players.  He would be an upgrade over Turner.  And I do think he was Zac's first choice for the job but Washington wouldn't let him interview.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 10:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Joe Thomas had relatively short arms.  Technique is everything.  And I though Price was one of the strongest centers to ever come out of the draft?  

Yes - so does Jonah.

I've read Price's issues are technique. He gets off balance a lot and gets trucked.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 11:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Could you supply facts to back up your cap space claims? How does a team carry over cap money every year (to eventually spend to the max) and have nor spent enough when teams like Browns had 100 million left over in one year (you can only carry over a certain amount and not full 100 million) and not have spend issues?

Please show us the Bengals spend versus the other 31 NFL teams the past 4 years.

It's cash equivalents...not actual cap space you spend. So if you give player A a 5 year $50 million contract with a $25 million signing bonus. That could count $30 million towards your floor that 1st year...but only $10 million in cap hit.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 12:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is it true that Cedric Ogbuehi has allowed no sacks and 0 penalties in 148 snaps this year while scoring in the high 60s?

Ced grades at 67.3. He'd be our best lineman.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 12:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Will Bill Callahan be available after this season? Would Taylor let Turner go if he had the chance to bring in Brian’s dad?

Fire his best friend to hire the OC's dad? That's quite the soap opera.

Could you imagine how mad Turner would get if he was fired?
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 03:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ced grades at 67.3. He'd be our best lineman.

I seriously doubt he’d grade out that high here. OL more than any other position really does matter who’s next to you.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 03:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Fire his best friend to hire the OC's dad? That's quite the soap opera.

I’m sure he’s said enough inappropriate shit over the course of the season to get rid of him lol

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 03:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Fire his best friend to hire the OC's dad? That's quite the soap opera.

Who cares?  Look at how mad we are, for him being allowed to continue on.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 04:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I seriously doubt he’d grade out that high here. OL more than any other position really does matter who’s next to you.

He had a pretty good one beside him at LG while he was here. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 04:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He had a pretty good one beside him at LG while he was here. 

True. Is he playing LT in JAX though?

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 04:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He had a pretty good one beside him at LG while he was here. 

Then, I guess his failure here must fall upon the coaches shoulders.  Or wait, maybe it was just that we play in such a tough division, that he never had a chance to get his confidence?  Either way, for a 1st round pick to "peak" at below average for his position, in his 5th year still points to bad scouting and talent evaluation, resulting in a wasted pick.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 03:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ced grades at 67.3. He'd be our best lineman.

With the exception of 2 games he really has only played a handful of offensive snaps in several games.  The biggest exception was when he played almost 80% of the snaps against the Bengals.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Sad that this staff is destroying Hopkins now too.

Even guys who are decent underperform here.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2019, 01:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, our offensive line is terrible. Maybe the worst we've had over the past few years. Even Hopkins has regressed.

Bobby Hart - 54.7 - You can't find these guys at Wal-Mart!
John Miller - 58.8 - Mediocre
Hopkins - 60.6 - He started the year strong, but has been struggling lately. Falling towards the 50's which isn't good.
Billy Price - 39.9 - Terrible - Bust
MJ - 35.1 - Worse than Price somehow...yet he took Price's job.
John Jerry - 57.2
Cordy Glenn - 60.1
Alex Redmond - 50.6

We literally might need 5 new lineman. We're not Jonah Williams away from having a good line.

This likely isn't a 1 year fix either. (We're already 3 years into this and it keeps getting worse.)

This post, to me, answers 2 questions. The obvious, which was nicely pointed out with stats, the offensive line sucks and HAS to be addressed somehow, and two, spending our first draft pick on a QB won’t fix the line! Keep what we have at QB next year and start building the line. Just my opinion....
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:14 AM)Krull1972 Wrote: This post, to me, answers 2 questions. The obvious, which was nicely pointed out with stats, the offensive line sucks and HAS to be addressed somehow, and two, spending our first draft pick on a QB won’t fix the line! Keep what we have at QB next year and start building the line. Just my opinion....

Why is it an either or situation for so many people here? You take the QB and build the team up around him.

This isn’t rocket science folks...

Reply/Quote