Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Line Prospects
(01-12-2021, 07:35 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: my worry on him is he is more of a development pick than start day  1... thoughts?

Recent success of Orlando Brown Jr and Mehki Beckton makes me was to look closer. I could see him being a developmental as he's only played the game for 5 years, but he's started immediately everywhere he's gone 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 07:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: bfine's got a new favorite:

[Image: v3imagesbin3ede8389bc959db937e7a4eb8c6c2...80x930.jpg]

DANIEL FAALELE: 6'9", 400 lbs.

The one on the right started for us at guard the last 3 years.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
On a serious note, there are 5-6 OT's rated in top 32 on a lot of boards and a couple of guards as well.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

Who do you think slides to our 6th pick in round 2?

If Sewell is gone, but Smith or Chase are available, should we take WR with 1st pick and then grab one of the 6 to 8 OL that fall into our lap round 2?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 12:28 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: On a serious note, there are 5=6 OT's rated in top 32 on a lot of boards and a couple of guards as well.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

Who do you think slides to our 6th pick in round 2?

If Sewell is gone, but Smith or Chase are available, should we take WR with 1st pick and then grab one of the 6 to 8 OL that fall into our lap round 2?

Not sure what I am missing. 

Cole Van Lanen. Starting LT for Wisconsin. 

Shared the LT job apparently in 2018 and was PFF highest graded OL that year ahead of guys like Jonah and Penei. 

Helped Jonathan Taylor have a pretty good year in 2019 and has started at LT in 2019 and 2020. 

Highly regarded recruit coming out of high school.

Doesn't even make CBS' list there and I haven't seen his name mention here. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 11:32 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Just read a couple of write ups on him and they both agree he is a one dimensional run blocker. Doesn’t have the feet, the wingspan or the athletic ability to pass protect on the edge in the NFL. So, he might be a decent mid round OG option. As far as CBS, they’ve been a garbage draft site sing Rang and Priscoe left.

Aren't those guys with TDN now?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 11:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Aren't those guys with TDN now?

Rob Rang does radio and podcasts now. I dont think he meant Pete Prisco who is still a writer for CBS I think he meant Dane Brugler who still does draft coverage for the Athletic in fact his "Draft Guide" is one of the best reads of the offseason he breaks down around 250 prospects. Brugler is one of the best draftniks in the biz.

Edit: Even though The Athletic is behind a pay wall everyone gets a certain amount of free articles per month and the draft guide is available to download through that...and saying "The Biz" is fun lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 01:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Thanks. Is it just the two of us? I actually would take him over Slater as an OT.

There are a lot of OTs who are projected to be good starters. I would expect (at least) one to be there at 38.
If Sewell is gone and the Bengals don't sign a good OT in FA, I could see them going WR (or CB if WJ3 leaves) at 5 and then take an OT at 38.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 11:56 AM)Synric Wrote: Rob Rang does radio and podcasts now. I dont think he meant Pete Prisco who is still a writer for CBS I think he meant Dane Brugler who still does draft coverage for the Athletic in fact his "Draft Guide" is one of the best reads of the offseason he breaks down around 250 prospects. Brugler is one of the best draftniks in the biz.

Edit: Even though The Athletic is behind a pay wall everyone gets a certain amount of free articles per month and the draft guide is available to download through that...and saying "The Biz" is fun lol.

I haven't been a fan of CBS Sports draft stuff ever since Trapasso took over.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
A couple names to mention.....

Alaric Jackson- OT Iowa

Spencer Brown- OT Northern Iowa

Rashawn Slater- OL Northwestern
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 09:09 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: A couple names to mention.....

Alaric Jackson- OT Iowa

Any OL player from Iowa interests me. They’ve produced a couple of the best in the league (Wirfs, Scherff) in recent years.

Reply/Quote

Alaric Jackson- OT Iowa

Thanks for mentioning Spencer Brown. I think he's a very intriguing FCS prospect. I believe if he learn to play with lower pad level, due to his height, he could become a solid starter in year 2 or 3 of his career.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Anybody like Drake Jackson, center from UK?
Reply/Quote

That giant rugby player from Australia I wanted who the Eagles drafts in like the 7th a couple years back got some time at T this year I believe. He was a pretty big project. I didn’t here any complaints about him. But I don’t closely follow the eagles and they had bigger problems this year.

Can’t remember his name but I think that is a pretty good comp here
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2021, 02:34 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That giant rugby player from Australia I wanted who the Eagles drafts in like the 7th a couple years back got some time at T this year I believe. He was a pretty big project. I didn’t here any complaints about him. But I don’t closely follow the eagles and they had bigger problems this year.

Can’t remember his name but I think that is a pretty good comp here

Jordan Mailata
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Alaric Jackson- OT Iowa

If there is a run on tackles (very likely) a guy like Brown or Faalele might be an excellent option in Rd 3.  And, although this won't be the most popular decision, I would keep Hart for one more year to ease the transition for either of these two.

Brown is one that I hope doesn't go to the Senior Bowl (but in fairness to him, he should be invited) simply because when teams see his ferocity, his length (which is absurd), and his strength (which is more absurd...bench 500 lbs, squat 600 lbs with really long arms and 6'9" height) that he will be all over team's radar.  
Reply/Quote

Been pimping him and Spencer Brown (who I like even better) as RTs for the Bengals for weeks in the mocks.  Faalele is extremely raw, but a former rugby player that has surprising agility for his size is a mammoth at RT.  

Brown is the same height, has ridiculously long arms, is only 325 lbs, but benches a staggering 500 lbs (which is saying something when you don't have T-rex arms) and squats 600 lbs at 6'9".  He is a former TE and plays with a really nasty streak.  

Either one of these two would be awesome in Rd 3 if the Bengals get Chase in 1, and a guy like Barmore or Twyman in Rd 2, but I think Barmore now moves in to Rd 1 after the NC game.  
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 09:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If there is a run on tackles (very likely) a guy like Brown or Faalele might be an excellent option in Rd 3.  And, although this won't be the most popular decision, I would keep Hart for one more year to ease the transition for either of these two.

Brown is one that I hope doesn't go to the Senior Bowl (but in fairness to him, he should be invited) simply because when teams see his ferocity, his length (which is absurd), and his strength (which is more absurd...bench 500 lbs, squat 600 lbs with really long arms and 6'9" height) that he will be all over team's radar.  

That extreme height might also cause some teams to pause on selecting him.  Sometimes with the very tall Tackles, shorter, quicker speed rushers can have an advantage on them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 10:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That extreme height might also cause some teams to pause on selecting him.  Sometimes with the very tall Tackles, shorter, quicker speed rushers can have an advantage on them.

True, but that is where his lower body strength comes in.  He gets low, and won't be outleveraged.  I also love the athleticism.  The kid looks like a massive WR and can probably easily add 30 lbs over the first 5 years of his career.  
Reply/Quote