Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Offensive Line Rating and Joey Franchise
(12-17-2021, 06:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tbh I don't think we disagree all that much. I'm just less pleased with the progress we've seen this year and don't think we've even sniffed "average". Believe it or not, Mixon was on pace for 1141 yards and 8 TDs last year prior to injury. Just saying bulk yards isn't the best indicator for success.

Our yards per carry improved, but we're still only ranked 25th. In the 6 games Burrow and Mixon were healthy last year, we averaged 21.5 ppg, and that's with one game where the Ravens held us to 3.

We're better this year, but I'd attribute 90% of that to Jamarr and the natural progression of Burrow. We can't just ignore that QBs progress with experience. The line isn't getting smoked as badly as last year. They've even had some decent games and moments.

It's still bad though. Tbh it feels like we're saying very similar things, but one of us is happy with the progress we've seen and the other (me) wanted much better this year and is still kinda ticked that people shamed me all offseason for doubting the line, and claimed it'd be fine/average, and now I'm being shamed for not being happy about a little progress. LOL

This isn't aimed at you specifically. Just venting here.

Spot on. There has been improvement but it isn't what I was hoping for. Rushing is better, but only marginally better. I was going to say that pass protection is marginally better, but Burrow actually has essentially the same time-to-throw that he did last year (2.65 last year vs 2.67 this year). Again, not all of the pressure is on the offensive line, but even if someone wants to argue that the line is improved, they have to concede that it hasn't improved much and that it still isn't very good. It's still a weak point.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 09:22 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Spot on. There has been improvement but it isn't what I was hoping for. Rushing is better, but only marginally better. I was going to say that pass protection is marginally better, but Burrow actually has essentially the same time-to-throw that he did last year (2.65 last year vs 2.67 this year). Again, not all of the pressure is on the offensive line, but even if someone wants to argue that the line is improved, they have to concede that it hasn't improved much and that it still isn't very good. It's still a weak point.

I really thought time to throw would be better than that, considering all the deep throws we've hit. Maybe we were attempting them just as much last year, but not hitting them? I know it was a rough year on deep throws.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 10:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I really thought time to throw would be better than that, considering all the deep throws we've hit. Maybe we were attempting them just as much last year, but not hitting them? I know it was a rough year on deep throws.

Burrow has thrown a couple up to Chase before Ja’Marr is even out of his break. Which would explain connecting on some of the deep shots without having a ton of time. Joe basically just trusts him to beat his man.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 09:22 PM)KillerGoose Wrote:  but Burrow actually has essentially the same time-to-throw that he did last year (2.65 last year vs 2.67 this year).

I think that number is deceptive because in many cases he has gotten better at getting rid of the ball quicker.  The average is about the same because the extra time he has gotten on deeper patterns is negated by the times he gets rid of the ball quicker on short patterns.
Reply/Quote