Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive line train wreck in slow motion
(10-23-2017, 12:46 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There’s one consistent thread which extends beyond 2003:   “Sing us a song, you’re the...” who has been on staff since 1992.

Yep. I can sincerely say that I'd rather see PA go than Marvin.

The only "defense" I'll make for Alexander is that Mike doesn't value interior linemen.

A new line coach won't change that. I'd still welcome change though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
What's the reason behind not valuing interior lineman on offense?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
When the Bengals had the opportunity to trade McCarron for a 2nd and 5th to Cleveland they should have jumped all over it.... Use that 2nd round pick to draft a lineman or traded that pick for a 2nd tier lineman..

Before the season started, everyone knew what to expect. Should have got help help when you had a damn chance.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 12:39 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Why they.don't bring in Brandon Albert is beyond me
Coming off the street he would be a upgrade over Cedric and Jake

From day 1 this year they said this unit was good enough, bringing in an outside free agent would mean that they are admitting they were wrong. Mike and Marvin ain't about that.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 09:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. Every game this year was winnable and IF we had a good offensive line we could be 4-2 at worst now and probably 5-1.

Lazor is mediocre. Very mediocre as an OC.

I think this is harsh.  

I think given the hand he has to play post Zamp leaving for week 3, plus the fact he has one arm tied behind his back with this OLine he has done a pretty good job.  

He basically has tried to put Andy in better positions and broadly he has effected positive change - I'd like to see a bit more variation and deeper pass plays more often but honestly he (and the team) goes as the OLine goes and Alexander has ensured that is a car crash
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:48 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Agreed. I feel a lot of this falls on coaching. What the hell is the OLine coach teaching these guys? Why does Bodine consistently go to help a guard while leaving an untouched rusher a clear path to the QB? Could part of the bad play be scheme issues?

Honestly, we all know 4 of our OLineman do not deserve to be starting for a professional football team, but some of this clearly falls at the feet of our OLine coach. Unfortunately, even if Marvin gets fired, I doubt the new coach will be allowed to replace Alexander the Great.

I was not one of those ones calling for the head of Paul Alexander but I'm done waiting for it to improve. 

Its so bad that with the same OL coach and core of players I do not see it improving much next year at this point.

That would be the 3rd year in a row the OLine is a handicap to success and arguably the worst unit on the team ....that for me is the clincher that Alexander MUST go and any new HC must be allowed to make that call
Reply/Quote
I'm still confused why CO keeps playing...dude gets blown up every damn play.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Ced and Fisher actually graded out ok against the Steelers.

Fisher - 78.4
Ced - 79.3

After a rough start to the season, Ogbuehi has settled his pass protection issues in the last three outings in pass protection. After surrendering 14 pressures in his first three games, Ogbuehi has surrendered only two in his last three starts, giving up only one hit this week. After a rough first season as a starter last season the Bengals’ 2015 first-round pick is playing the best football of his short career right now and the Bengals will hope he builds on that.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 01:44 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: What's the reason behind not valuing interior lineman on offense?

Mike doesn't deem them very important positions. 

(10-23-2017, 01:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ced and Fisher actually graded out ok against the Steelers.

Fisher - 78.4
Ced - 79.3

After a rough start to the season, Ogbuehi has settled his pass protection issues in the last three outings in pass protection. After surrendering 14 pressures in his first three games, Ogbuehi has surrendered only two in his last three starts, giving up only one hit this week. After a rough first season as a starter last season the Bengals’ 2015 first-round pick is playing the best football of his short career right now and the Bengals will hope he builds on that.

So how was the rest of our line? No denying we still have serious blocking issues. Both in the run and pass.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 01:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Mike doesn't deem them very important positions. 

So how was the rest of our line? No denying we still have serious blocking issues. Both in the run and pass.

Bodine is a lot of the problem for everyone.  You can't constantly get beat at the point of attack and succeed.  No matter how well your tackles play.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I fear what we'll see is some lineman improve to a level (below average or average) that will make the FO not replace them.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 01:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I fear what we'll see is some lineman improve to a level (below average or average) that will make the FO not replace them.

[Image: ThickGlitteringCanine.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 01:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Mike doesn't deem them very important positions. 

They all were horrendous. Our 1st drive they talked about how Boling hadn't given up a sack, but that all changed!!
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 01:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ced and Fisher actually graded out ok against the Steelers.

Fisher - 78.4
Ced - 79.3

I guess in the weird world of PFF you can let defenders in unblocked and somehow it does not affect your grade - because both of these goobers did that multiple times Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 01:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I fear what we'll see is some lineman improve to a level (below average or average) that will make the FO not replace them.

This. Completely.

When we finally end this losing season I also look forward to the Hobspin fluff articles spewing how CO & Fish improved thru the year and how after another off season of weight gain, strength training , MMA  they are looking like All Pros in practice
Reply/Quote
I saw on Twitter where someone said that the Bengals OL was doing well until they were down by two TDs.

I think that you really see the weaknesses of this OL when the team is down by a double-digit points.
The reasons are:
1) The Bengals have to pass more and defenses know it, so they try to rush the passer more often and aggressively
2) The Bengals need to get down the field faster, so they call deeper routes and therefore the receivers need more time for the routes to develop
3) Along with #2, the Bengals also change the RB priorities from rushing/receiving to blocking, which limits their effectiveness late in the game

We knew the Bengals OL would be a sieve since Whitworth and Zeitler left, and it's been blatantly clear when the team has to try and play from behind. The Steelers and Ravens provided the blueprint. Get up quickly and then rush the passer, rush the passer, rush the passer. In order from the Bengals to win games with this team, they have to be able to get some points early but more importantly play elite defense to keep games close if they are behind. Otherwise, opposing defenses will just tee off on this OL and annihilate Dalton.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 01:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: Bodine is a lot of the problem for everyone.  You can't constantly get beat at the point of attack and succeed.  No matter how well your tackles play.

I find myself looking at Bodine during the games and saying roughly the same things over and over.

"Wow, look at the way he anchors his hips and holds up the DT. Seriously, that DT cannot rush upfield and tackle Dalton at all. This would be even more impressive if it wasn't a f'n run play where his weak ass should be driving that guy 5 yards off the ball."

I mean come on, his run blocking looks like pass pro and his pass pro looks like Ghiaciuc.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 04:11 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I find myself looking at Bodine during the games and saying roughly the same things over and over.

"Wow, look at the way he anchors his hips and holds up the DT. Seriously, that DT cannot rush upfield and tackle Dalton at all. This would be even more impressive if it wasn't a f'n run play where his weak ass should be driving that guy 5 yards off the ball."

I mean come on, his run blocking looks like pass pro and his pass pro looks like Ghiaciuc.

Yep, and look at "the pocket" most of the time.  The pressure is often right up the gut.  I have seen instances where interior d linemen are almost there when the back takes the handoff as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 04:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, and look at "the pocket" most of the time.  The pressure is often right up the gut.  I have seen instances where interior d linemen are almost there when the back takes the handoff as well.

I just can't believe that Bodine has looked like crap for four years and yet we've stuck with him. Even Ghiaciuc got replaced after two full miserable years.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't complain about having Nate Livings and Dennis Roland back at least they could run block...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote