Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread***
(04-28-2019, 02:22 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, this guy should be great.

Weaknesses

• Hip tightness creates sluggishness in transitional movements
  • Mediocre instincts and lack of burst allow blockers to find him too easily
  • Struggles to maneuver through box traffic efficiently
  • Too much guess work and not enough feel for lane choices by running backs
  • Poor speed to range, chase and finish
  • Needs to compliment forceful take-ons with better block slipping
  • Sitting duck waiting to be exploited by passing attacks
Sounds like Hardy Nickerson Jr v2

I am curious what weaknesses we would see from each 6th round pick in the 2019 draft.

If you look at these, you would think he was not good enough to play in college, let alone in the NFL.

But I read this guy as Rey M. 2.0, a run stopper who is physical and lousy in pass coverage. A 2 down LB with no shot at being a 3 down LB. Of course, our run defense was best when we had Rey M. on the field all of those years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:06 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wonder if the coaches feel there's something to work with in Evans and/or Jefferson.

Why would they not? Both Evans and Jefferson check a lot of the boxes you want checked in the modern day NFL LB. How long have people griped about our coaching on these boards? Have you ever considered that maybe Haslett was not good at coaching the modern day LB? That maybe he was not the right guy to develop them in the way they need to play the game today?

Jefferson is heading into his second season fresh off of a rookie season and people like you are apparently ready to write him off. You really cant make this stuff up.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:52 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sample is not an impact player. He's a role player.

The Bengals (Zac) must have a plan to use his specific skill set in his offense. If he is as good as blocker as he is said to be he gives Dalton and Mixon a positive  improvement. That's what makes a player valuable is not only his play but the way he improves others around him. In Zac we trust.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:33 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Bengals (Zac) must have a plan to use his specific skill set in his offense. If he is as good as blocker as he is said to be he gives Dalton and Mixon a positive  improvement. That's what makes a player valuable is not only his play but the way he improves others around him. In Zac we trust.

In Zac you trust. I'll continue to wait and see. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 08:56 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Why would they not? 
I said that in response to them not taking a shot with more LBs in the draft. Thinking they must feel there is something there to work with.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 07:14 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am curious what weaknesses we would see from each 6th round pick in the 2019 draft.

If you look at these, you would think he was not good enough to play in college, let alone in the NFL.

But I read this guy as Rey M. 2.0, a run stopper who is physical and lousy in pass coverage. A 2 down LB with no shot at being a 3 down LB. Of course, our run defense was best when we had Rey M. on the field all of those years.

No arguments with any of this. The Rey Maualuga type is out of style in the NFL today though. Any decent OC would exploit a LB like that on 1st and 2nd down instead of just trying to run against them. 

His draft profile pegged him as a probable FA and his grade says "should be in an NFL training camp". 

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:52 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sample is not an impact player. He's a role player.

So you do not consider a block on the end of the line that springs a RB for a 90 yard TD as having an impact? You do not consider having a significant role in the play action passing game as having an impact?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:05 AM)OSUfan Wrote: So you do not consider a block on the end of the line that springs a RB for a 90 yard TD as having an impact? You do not consider having a significant role in the play action passing game as having an impact?

Good points. Rep.
Reply/Quote
It kills me how many fans have screamed at the top of their lungs to get rid of Marvin and now that they have a new coach they ridicule him before he even coached one game. We haven't seen any of his schemes on offense or defense but instead of trying to be positive they gripe and gripe like they are smarter than the people who have been hired to turn the team around. Get a grip and try to be positive about something. You will find it is a whole lot better to see the bright side of things every now and then.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:54 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No arguments with any of this. The Rey Maualuga type is out of style in the NFL today though. Any decent OC would exploit a LB like that on 1st and 2nd down instead of just trying to run against them. 

His draft profile pegged him as a probable FA and his grade says "should be in an NFL training camp". 

Is the draft profile comprised of one draft site or is composed of 5 or 6? I noticed yesterday CBS had Ben Burr-Kirvin ranked at 187th best pick, but NFL site had him at less than 100. It shocked me to see same player with rankings that far apart.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:05 AM)OSUfan Wrote: So you do not consider a block on the end of the line that springs a RB for a 90 yard TD as having an impact? You do not consider having a significant role in the play action passing game as having an impact?

An impact player is someone that moves the chains, scores touchdowns or gets sacks/turnovers. Not a guy that blocks. 

I will be watching to see how many 90 yard runs he blocks for though. 

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:45 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Is the draft profile comprised of one draft site or is composed of 5 or 6? I noticed yesterday CBS had Ben Burr-Kirvin ranked at 187th best pick, but NFL site had him at less than 100. It shocked me to see same player with rankings that far apart.

I was going by the NFL.com draft profile from the combine. 

No doubt, you can find a myriad of opinions on players from different sites. That's why i usually read a couple then go to youtube and pull up game tapes of the player in question and form my own opinion. Not highlight films, but full games that target a specific player. You get to see the good and bad with those.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: An impact player is someone that moves the chains, scores touchdowns or gets sacks/turnovers. Not a guy that blocks. 

I will be watching to see how many 90 yard runs he blocks for though. 

How about 9 ten yard runs, we didn't have too many of those in 2018

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How about 9 ten yard runs, we didn't have too many of those in 2018

I'm not arguing that he's not a good player and won't have a role in the offense. I said from the beginning he's a good role player. He's just not an "impact" player. If he is, then all the Olinemen are, because they're out there doing the same thing. 

I think he will help with the blocking, hopefully better than guys in the past few years and if he does i'm going to be jumping up and down in my living room like i always do on good plays. I don't think he's going to come in and start blocking guys out of the play several times a game because when you watch tape, he does a good job getting in the way and shielding a defender off, but he needs to get stronger and maintain blocks better at the NFL level, where guys are bigger and stronger across the board.

My whole argument is, you don't draft role players in the first 3 rounds. Sure, it happens across the league but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: An impact player is someone that moves the chains, scores touchdowns or gets sacks/turnovers. Not a guy that blocks. 

Remember last season how many times Mixon had to make guys miss him in our backfield? Or when he couldn't get to the outside? A good blocking TE that lets Mixon get a head of steam up, or seals the edge for him is certainly an impact player in my book. They don't have to be 90 yd runs either, just keep moving the chains and demoralizing the opposition D.
Reply/Quote
I hate the analysis of "impact" vs "role" players. Every position has a role to play. Playing your role well makes you an impact player. Can he do whats asked of him? Can he do it consistantly? If you answer yes to both of those questions, the player has made an impact.

Most offenses don't value blocking TEs. With that said, if we do, and we utilize him, he's an impact.
Reply/Quote