Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hard Count....Where Was It?
With the Ratbirds breathing fire and launching off the line every snap, where was the "hard count"? Andy actually practiced this in the preseason.

Here is a quote from PFT.com. This was the deciding score in the Seahawks/Packers game:

"Aaron Rodgers is the master of the free play. No quarterback has ever been as good as Rodgers at taking shots deep downfield when the defense commits a penalty. He’s a wizard at it. As soon as a Seahawk jumped offside in the third quarter on Sunday, Rodgers launched the ball toward the end zone, where Jordy Nelson ran under it for a 32-yard touchdown. When the opponents make a mistake like that against Rodgers, he makes them pay.
"

If the best can do it, we should do it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Probably got shelved when the offense false started before the first play of the game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Well that line of thinking is kind of misleading. "If the best CAN do it, we SHOULD do it". There is a difference between being able to do something and trying to do something. It isn't even something the OC sets it's a QB that normally sets the count. Aaron Rodgers is one of the best ever at it, I think most teams wish they could do it...but they can't. This seems a little bit like grasping at straws. There are a lot of things to be upset about, but wishing our QB could draw people offside is pretty low on the list.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals under Lewis are way too undisciplined a team to trick other teams into mistakes without making them themselves first.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:56 AM)Sweetness Wrote: The Bengals under Lewis are way too undisciplined a team to trick other teams into mistakes without making them themselves first.

Good point.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
What no love for the masterful knee the offense takes when a defender is caught offside?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 09:43 AM)Au165 Wrote: Well that line of thinking is kind of misleading. "If the best CAN do it, we SHOULD do it". There is a difference between being able to do something and trying to do something. It isn't even something the OC sets it's a QB that normally sets the count. Aaron Rodgers is one of the best ever at it, I think most teams wish they could do it...but they can't. This seems a little bit like grasping at straws. There are a lot of things to be upset about, but wishing our QB could draw people offside is pretty low on the list.

Yeah, it helped the Packers win a game, but it sure couldn't do that for Cincinnati. 

And, by your tone, that gimmick shouldn't be needed by such an elite QB as Rogers, right?  Remember, it not only might draw someone offsides for a free play, but it might slow the rush just a bit.  Both would have been nice.  
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 01:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, it helped the Packers win a game, but it sure couldn't do that for Cincinnati. 

And, by your tone, that gimmick shouldn't be needed by such an elite QB as Rogers, right?  Remember, it not only might draw someone offsides for a free play, but it might slow the rush just a bit.  Both would have been nice.  

I am not sure where you are confused here. Aaron Rodger is one of the best EVER at the hard count. I guarantee you the Bengals used hard counts this weekend and you simply didn't notice because no one jumped. The way some guys can fluctuate their voice is what makes them so good at it. A hard count isn't some magical thing, everyone does it, but most don't do it anywhere close to as well as Aaron Rodgers does it.

That is like saying "Aaron Rodgers can scramble and throw 70 yards on a rope, why shouldn't we do that?"....Because he is Aaron Rodgers and when other people try it, it simply doesn't work.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 03:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: I am not sure where you are confused here. Aaron Rodger is one of the best EVER at the hard count. I guarantee you the Bengals used hard counts this weekend and you simply didn't notice because no one jumped. The way some guys can fluctuate their voice is what makes them so good at it. A hard count isn't some magical thing, everyone does it, but most don't do it anywhere close to as well as Aaron Rodgers does it.

That is like saying "Aaron Rodgers can scramble and throw 70 yards on a rope, why shouldn't we do that?"....Because he is Aaron Rodgers and when other people try it, it simply doesn't work.

I watched every snap on offense, multiple times, zero hard counts...so your guarantee doesn't mean much. 

Dalton actually has a really good "pitch" if you remember the sport science of when he was coming out of college.  They even rated him tops in that QB class in voice inflection.  I think it is more a lack of effort by the coaching staff and, as someone else said, a lack of discipline so the team believes they would simply get their own guys to jump.  Sad, really, but not at all what you are describing. 
Reply/Quote
It's not as effective when the entire stadium is booing you.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 07:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I watched every snap on offense, multiple times, zero hard counts...so your guarantee doesn't mean much. 

Dalton actually has a really good "pitch" if you remember the sport science of when he was coming out of college.  They even rated him tops in that QB class in voice inflection.  I think it is more a lack of effort by the coaching staff and, as someone else said, a lack of discipline so the team believes they would simply get their own guys to jump.  Sad, really, but not at all what you are describing. 

Yea, we will agree to disagree then.
Reply/Quote