Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Officiating
(10-17-2019, 10:40 AM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: The Packers are actually in the top 10 in terms of revenue generation for the league. The Bears rank just outside the top 10, so it would make sense for the Packers to win the NFC North. Green Bay is small, but their fan base is big and loyal.

The two teams discussed as getting screwed in this thread are the number 31 and 32 ranked teams in terms of revenue generation. Seems like the rigged argument holds up from that perspective.

I got the info here (https://www.statista.com/statistics/193553/revenue-of-national-football-league-teams-in-2010/). The link says 2010 but the information on it says 2019. You have to have a subscription to get full access but it gave me a free view if you are interested.

For stats that are more easily accessed, Aaron Rodgers is a top 5 jersey seller. The Lions and Bengals don’t have a single player in the top 50.

Then this is cart before the horse or chicken and egg stuff...do the Packers generate revenue because the NFL cheats for them or does the NFL cheat for them because they generate revenue?  If the NFL can force Mitch Trubisky to win a SB then his jersey sales are going to go through the roof because Chicago hasn't had a likable or good QB since one year of Erik Kramer.

And again, what does Mike Brown have to do to get the NFL to cheat for him and why doesn't he do it? We complained that we are a small market team and that is why the NFL doesn't care about us but clearly the Packers have proven than even the smallest market team can become an NFL darling and be forced into ultra stardom.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 10:40 AM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: The Packers are actually in the top 10 in terms of revenue generation for the league. The Bears rank just outside the top 10, so it would make sense for the Packers to win the NFC North. Green Bay is small, but their fan base is big and loyal.

The two teams discussed as getting screwed in this thread are the number 31 and 32 ranked teams in terms of revenue generation. Seems like the rigged argument holds up from that perspective.

I got the info here (https://www.statista.com/statistics/193553/revenue-of-national-football-league-teams-in-2010/). The link says 2010 but the information on it says 2019. You have to have a subscription to get full access but it gave me a free view if you are interested.

For stats that are more easily accessed, Aaron Rodgers is a top 5 jersey seller. The Lions and Bengals don’t have a single player in the top 50.

That's just it though. Numbers don't show us being more heavily penalized than other teams. If anything we're one of the least penalized teams:

Interestingly, our opponents have been penalized for 50 penalties for 399 yards and we've been penalized for 41 penalties and 311 yards.

We have the 7th least penalty yards in the NFL.

We have the 6th most net penalty yards...meaning the difference between our penalties and their penalties.
Reply/Quote
Actually, teams we're playing have been penalized the 2nd most in the NFL. Packers opponents are penalized 4th most. (By number of penalties.)

The league favors us!
Reply/Quote
If the NFL is cheating for them, does it matter which came first? Who cares which one it is if it’s actually happening? Also, Chicago doesn’t need a likeable QB or a SB to top jersey sales. Khalil Mack topped the list last year.

Like you said though, regardless of if it’s rigged or not Mike Brown still isn’t getting the job done and seems content with business as usual. That’s clearly not working. The NFL doesn’t care about us because Mike Brown seems to barely care about us. If he’s content just raking in revenue sharing money then that seems to be fine with the NFL.

I’m definitely not 100% convinced that the games are fixed, but I wonder more and more each year. If it’s not fixed I really can’t come up with a good reason why the NFL would tolerate the officiating week in and week out. The other thing that really bugs me is how inconsistent reviews are when it’s supposed to be one guy doing all the reviews. Dalton’s fumble at the end of week one for example. I’ve seen more than one other play this year that was reviewed where the ball looked more loose than Dalton’s that were called incomplete passes instead of fumbles. If one guy is doing the reviews why are the results so wildly unpredictable? Even the former officials that are contributing to broadcasts are surprised by some of the reviews.
Reply/Quote
[quote='THE PISTONS' pid='780215' dateline='1571326893']
Actually, teams we're playing have been penalized the 2nd most in the NFL. Packers opponents are penalized 4th most. (By number of penalties.)

The league favors us!
[/quote

I’m curious how many of those penalties led to points for the opposition, or took us out of scoring range. One defensive holding penalty for 5 yards on 3rd and long can do a lot more damage than 5 holding penalties for 50 yards. Penalties also don’t have anything to do with reviews. You know that though.

At the end of the day, this team isn’t getting it done. There are lots of areas that need improved. Mike Brown could be doing a lot more for the team and the fans. All that can be true and the officiating can still suck.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 12:52 PM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: If the NFL is cheating for them, does it matter which came first? Who cares which one it is if it’s actually happening? Also, Chicago doesn’t need a likeable QB or a SB to top jersey sales. Khalil Mack topped the list last year.

Like you said though, regardless of if it’s rigged or not Mike Brown still isn’t getting the job done and seems content with business as usual. That’s clearly not working. The NFL doesn’t care about us because Mike Brown seems to barely care about us. If he’s content just raking in revenue sharing money then that seems to be fine with the NFL.

I’m definitely not 100% convinced that the games are fixed, but I wonder more and more each year. If it’s not fixed I really can’t come up with a good reason why the NFL would tolerate the officiating week in and week out. The other thing that really bugs me is how inconsistent reviews are when it’s supposed to be one guy doing all the reviews. Dalton’s fumble at the end of week one for example. I’ve seen more than one other play this year that was reviewed where the ball looked more loose than Dalton’s that were called incomplete passes instead of fumbles. If one guy is doing the reviews why are the results so wildly unpredictable? Even the former officials that are contributing to broadcasts are surprised by some of the reviews.

If the games were fixed, how cruel would the NFL have to be to do this to the Bengals and Lions? I mean no playoff wins for that long.
Reply/Quote
Apparently pretty cruel. Maybe the NFL is just setting up a true underdog story for one of these franchises? Maybe they are only interested in making as much money as possible instead of making sure all of the fan bases are having fun? Maybe they know they can hide all the conspiracy talk on the message boards of the smaller teams, so our games are the only ones where it’s blatantly obvious? Maybe Mike Brown is being punished for opposing something Roger Goodell wanted to implement, and our team and fans are just collateral damage? Maybe Bo Jackson secretly runs the NFL and is getting back at us for ending his careers? Who knows. Any, or all of those, could be true.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 01:11 PM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: Apparently pretty cruel. Maybe the NFL is just setting up a true underdog story for one of these franchises? Maybe they are only interested in making as much money as possible instead of making sure all of the fan bases are having fun? Maybe they know they can hide all the conspiracy talk on the message boards of the smaller teams, so our games are the only ones where it’s blatantly obvious? Maybe Mike Brown is being punished for opposing something Roger Goodell wanted to implement, and our team and fans are just collateral damage? Maybe Bo Jackson secretly runs the NFL and is getting back at us for ending his careers? Who knows. Any, or all of those, could be true.

Indeed.

There are only like 3-4 teams that haven't won 5+ playoff games since we last won 1. Most are expansion teams. And then of course the Lions.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 01:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed.

There are only like 3-4 teams that haven't won 5+ playoff games since we last won 1. Most are expansion teams. And then of course the Lions.

That sucks. I keep telling myself that someday all this frustration and losing is going to be worth it. It’s sad to think that at this point I’m more convinced that the NFL might be rigged than I am that the Bengals will someday win a Super Bowl.

Oh well though. The draft is only 6 months away. That should spark some hope again.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 01:29 PM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: That sucks. I keep telling myself that someday all this frustration and losing is going to be worth it. It’s sad to think that at this point  I’m more convinced that the NFL might be rigged than I am that the Bengals will someday win a Super Bowl.

Oh well though. The draft is only 6 months away. That should spark some hope again.

Some 75% of the league has played in a SB too since we last won a single playoff game. Other cities generally have experienced atleast some good seasons.

We're just managed a lot different than other teams.

More scouts and a GM would probably make us atleast win playoff games here and there.
Reply/Quote
Ill take Barry and Megatron over Cory and Carson it's not even close.
Reply/Quote