Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Officiating Crew for Chiefs Game
We're screwed. I said the other day I was afraid we would get a crew that does not call PI close. The Chiefs DB's can't contain our WR's without holding them. Now they can hold them without penalty. The game just got tougher.
Reply/Quote
Oh, its that crew. Its either gonna be a non-factor or highly controversial.
Reply/Quote
Zac and the boys have to be planning for this, right? Surely with such a lax crew they're telling the OL to hold.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 09:15 AM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Zac and the boys have to be planning for this, right? Surely with such a lax crew they're telling the OL to hold.

I don't know if the Bengals can change their stripes at this late date in the season, but the Bengals defensive backs should not hesitate to hold Hill and Kelce if it looks like they are going to get free for a big gain. It is just a 5-yard penalty and this crew only called 4 such penalties all year; in other words, they went 3/4 of the games without any called. Doubtful they would call more than one all game.

As far as instructing the offensive line,  Pollack should be instructing the offensive line on holding pass rushers as much as they can get away with it. The referee crew called more of those penalties (31), but it is still less than 2 per game, so it is unlikely they get more than 1 such call against them (assuming they get a call of holding against Hendrickson, because he is very often held).
Reply/Quote
And I certainly hope someone tells Tee, Tyler and Ja'Marr they can push off and won't be called for OPI. I hate flag happy crews, but I think I hate flag reluctant crews even more. It puts players who play within the rules at a disadvantage.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 09:15 AM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Zac and the boys have to be planning for this, right? Surely with such a lax crew they're telling the OL to hold.

I wonder of Burrow is getting to the point where he's achieved let-the-line-hold status to protect a league superstar.  The Chiefs held like crazy to protect Mahomes in the last game and didn't get called for much of anything.  It was actually kind of blatant, because I generally don't notice that sort of thing unless it's really out of hand.

I hate to sound conspiratorial, but I worry that the league will do a lot to get Mahomes and his star power into the Super Bowl.  Jimmy G is not a superstar and Stafford, as great as he is, still doesn't have the same recognition of a Brady/Mahomes/Rodgers/Allen.  Mahomes is their last shot at having a bigtime household name in the showcase.  

I'm biased, but I feel like they need to just realize that Burrow is a household name now and let him continue his ascent.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 09:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: We're screwed. I said the other day I was afraid we would get a crew that does not call PI close. The Chiefs DB's can't contain our WR's without holding them. Now they can hold them without penalty. The game just got tougher.

Burrow better be ready to do some lobbying with the refs. Hopefully they like him better on Sunday than Mahomes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 10:26 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Burrow better be ready to do some lobbying with the refs. Hopefully they like him better on Sunday than Mahomes.

That shouldn't be hard for them.
Reply/Quote
This is a little scary because those DBs mauled our WR last time because they can’t stop them. I’m sure anything egregious they will call, but going to have to be physical back with them.
Reply/Quote
We should have had Cheffers for this game.

https://thespun.com/nfl/referees-for-afc-nfc-championship-games-announced
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:23 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: The referee for the #Chiefs vs #Bengals game will be Bill Vinovich. His crew called the least amount of penalties in the NFL. This crew worked the AFC Championship last year vs Bills and Super Bowl LIV vs the 49ers.

Evidently Bill Vinovich's crew called only four defensive holding penalties all season, second-lowest in the league.

Top penalties his crew called this year:
Offensive Holding: 31
False Start: 24
Offsides: 13
DPI: 12
Unnecessary Roughness: 10
Delay of Game

Chiefs fans are saying If you want to jam the Bengals receivers at the line and play physical downfield, this is the crew you want calling the game

We shall see

Bengals fans are saying if you want to jam Chiefs receivers at the line and play physical downfield, this is the crew you want. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Chase is God tier against press coverage and hand fighting so no worries there. Higgins bread and butter is contested catches so doesn't really move the needle much there either. The biggest impact would be against Boyd.
Reply/Quote
Chiefs have been greenlit to commit as much holding and DPI as they want. Fine. We will have to out-physical them. It goes both ways. Our WRs should see how much offensive PI they can get away with. And defensively we should just go out and tackle Hill and Kelce the moment the ball is snapped. OK that's a bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 10:58 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Chiefs have been greenlit to commit as much holding and DPI as they want. Fine. We will have to out-physical them. It goes both ways. Our WRs should see how much offensive PI they can get away with. And defensively we should just go out and tackle Hill and Kelce the moment the ball is snapped. OK that's a bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea.

As long as it's called the same way for both teams that's fine. I just don't want it to be a typical Pissburgh game where only one team gets called.
Reply/Quote
I’m good with letting them play, as long as it’s called the same.

So astounded at the chefs fans who seem to think calling penalties is bad officiating.

With my recent experience of many Steeler fans wishing us well, these Chefs fans have easily replaced Steeler fans as the worst, in my book. The seem to have taken on the personality of Jackson Mahoney & co. Egads!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:22 AM)SladeX Wrote: I’m good with letting them play, as long as it’s called the same.

So astounded at the chefs fans who seem to think calling penalties is bad officiating.

With my recent experience of many Steeler fans wishing us well, these Chefs fans have easily replaced Steeler fans as the worst, in my book. The seem to have taken on the personality of Jackson Mahoney & co. Egads!

Entitled Kansas City Karens
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I'd only be worried if the crew had a specific track record not calling against the Chiefs. Just saying that across their games they haven't called it much doesn't mean much. Some refs over-call it. Some teams aren't as glaring in the way they do it. But if the crew called multiple Chiefs games and weren't calling, it would be cause for some concern. That said, with speed and depending on the routes, there are ways to get around this and I'm sure the offensive game plan will account for this, either out of the gate or as it progresses.
Reply/Quote
I don’t know if the Chiefs want Sneed and Ward hand chucking or bumping the routes Chase, Higgins and Boyd will run. That would be a recipe for disaster. Our WRs are physical. That’s why they also block. Chase, in particular, is good at disguising his push offs.

If the officiating crew doesn’t call any of that, we’d welcome it.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:23 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: The referee for the #Chiefs vs #Bengals game will be Bill Vinovich. His crew called the least amount of penalties in the NFL. This crew worked the AFC Championship last year vs Bills and Super Bowl LIV vs the 49ers.

Evidently Bill Vinovich's crew called only four defensive holding penalties all season, second-lowest in the league.

Top penalties his crew called this year:
Offensive Holding: 31
False Start: 24
Offsides: 13
DPI: 12
Unnecessary Roughness: 10
Delay of Game

Chiefs fans are saying If you want to jam the Bengals receivers at the line and play physical downfield, this is the crew you want calling the game

We shall see

My thoughts:
  • I doubt anyone game plans around the refs they have
  • CBs whiff on jamming all the time.  There's big play potential here because Chase is going to win a sprint every time
  • Higgins has 4 inches and 20lb's on KC's largest DB.  I'm sure he would be fine if it was more physical
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 02:53 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I don’t know if the Chiefs want Sneed and Ward hand chucking or bumping the routes Chase, Higgins and Boyd will run.  That would be a recipe for disaster.  Our WRs are physical.  That’s why they also block.  Chase, in particular, is good at disguising his push offs.

If the officiating crew doesn’t call any of that, we’d welcome it.

All true, it might not be as big as an advantage just as long as it is called even and not for one team over another.
Reply/Quote