Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Officiating Sucked Again
I know a certain population out there hates any discussion of this subject, so feel free to just move along.

My concern is not what happened in today's game, but in the San Diego game, and what seems to be a trend in many games involving the Bengals.  I am THRILLED with the way this offense is moving the ball.  I loved what the defense did with the exception of a few big plays.  I am not trying to be Negative Nancy, but if this officiating crap continues and it ends up costing the Bengals a game which could lead to losing home field, etc....

Here is just a few things that I saw today:

1.) A critical play on (I think) third down and around 10, Dalton lofts one to Eifert down the left sideline.  He is not wide open, but has a step on the KC defender.  As the ball approaches, Eifert has one arm blatantly grabbed by the defender and tries to extend his opposite arm to catch the ball one-handed.  No flag thrown.

2.) TWO TIMES, a KC receiver is hit as he is making a catch and loses control of the ball when it hits the ground.  According to the NFL rulebook: 

Item 1. Player Going to the Ground. A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete

What am I missing here?

3.) The Jeremy Hill 2 point conversion was plain as day to 60,000 folks at the game, but one of them was not the line judge on the field.  And before some moron chimes in with "it doesn't matter all scoring plays are reviewed", this was not a scoring play since it was ruled unsuccessful.  Thank God the replays are not done by the same officiating crew. 

4.) Geno, Dunlap, MJ, Gilberry, were held a TON of times....and no call.  That's fine, if that is what is going to be called for both offensive lines.  Ask Zeitler about the consecutive holding calls.  Bullshit.

Marvin needs to make a tape of all this shit and send it to the league.  He needs to get it taken care of before it costs them a game. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It sucks when you can't get excited about anything that happens until you let a ten second window go by after the play waiting for a bullshit flag. The line judge that signaled the two point failure was adamant that it failed. Why? How?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 10:56 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: It sucks when you can't get excited about anything that happens until you let a ten second window go by after the play waiting for a bullshit flag. The line judge that signaled the two point failure was adamant that it failed. Why? How?

Yep, and the first holding call on Zeitler was thrown a good 3 seconds after the play ended...???
Reply/Quote
To be fair....they straight screwed KC on that Kelce "fumble".

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 10:59 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, and the first holding call on Zeitler was thrown a good 3 seconds after the play ended...???

On the Eifert PI the official was literally staring right at that blatant shit. The Bengals haven't let these incompetent clowns job them out of a win yet, but you're right. If Marvin or somebody doesn't try to nip it in the bud now it's going to cost them.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 11:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: To be fair....they straight screwed KC on that Kelce "fumble".

No they didn't.  If you watch the play MJ's hand hits the ball, then the knee, then you see the ball clearly come out.  It takes a split second for the ball to leave the torso.  The ball was fumbled.  How do you know?  It's obvious what caused the fumble -- MJ hitting the ball.  Therefore he had to have lost control once his hand hit the football.  You can't see it real well as it's a bang bang type play.  I was one that said whatever the call was on the field -- that was going to be the call.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I thought the play Marvin challenged was going to be incomplete as it was just like the Eifert non-TD catch. He didn't have time to establish himself and he clearly lost the ball going to the ground. By rule: Incomplete. Yet somehow they said he established himself with two steps and Eifert didn't with 4 steps!
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 11:36 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I thought the play Marvin challenged was going to be incomplete as it was just like the Eifert non-TD catch.  He didn't have time to establish himself and he clearly lost the ball going to the ground.  By rule:  Incomplete.  Yet somehow they said he established himself with two steps and Eifert didn't with 4 steps!

I really would like a good explanation from some of the posters that insist this rule is easy to understand. Because this play should have been overturned if the Eifert one was. I just don't understand this rule at all.

Also, I was thinking after this play: if Eifert were to have did everything he did on that non TD catch, but instead reached across the goal line with the ball, and then pulled the ball back into his body at the one inch line and controlled the ball to the ground, would that be a completion at the one inch line, or a touchdown?
Reply/Quote
Mike Carrie explained if a defender is up right and the second foot comes down he is established as a runner, however catching while falling to the ground he must complete the catch to and through hitting the ground even if he takes two steps while falling. Kind of a strange rule but he said this was a point of emphasis this season.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 11:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: [quote pid='76573' dateline='1444013175']
Mike Carrie explained if a defender is up right and the second foot comes down he is established as a runner, however catching while falling to the ground he must complete the catch to and through hitting the ground even if he takes two steps while falling. Kind of a strange rule but he said this was a point of emphasis this season.

[/quote]

Re-watch the Eifert TD.  He got four feet down.  How is that not "established as a runner"?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 10:52 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: ...

2.) TWO TIMES, a KC receiver is hit as he is making a catch and loses control of the ball when it hits the ground.  According to the NFL rulebook: 

Item 1. Player Going to the Ground. A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete

What am I missing here?

I believe the KC receiver had 3 steps before he was hit. He was a runner, not a receiver going to the ground. I think it was the right call.
Reply/Quote
We could argue this point all day and neither be "right" as the rule SUCKS!

This "going to the ground" nonsense is awful. What was wrong with the old rule of maintaining control and two feet down again?
Reply/Quote
Re-watch Hill's touchdown.

The one line judge called it a touchdown, and then the other one comes over to overturn it and call it failed, but, if you watch the replay, you'll see a player (I think KC) standing in his way just outside the pile, so there's NO WAY he could have seen it to rule one way or the other, much-less overrule the other guy.

Officiating was a pretty big joke in this one.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 11:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Re-watch Hill's touchdown.

The one line judge called it a touchdown, and then the other one comes over to overturn it and call it failed, but, if you watch the replay, you'll see a player (I think KC) standing in his way just outside the pile, so there's NO WAY he could have seen it to rule one way or the other, much-less overrule the other guy.

Officiating was a pretty big joke in this one.

That's why I was so confused why the far judge was SO certain. The dude came in, fastest 40 time in the league to wave that it was no good. Like really? 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 10:52 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: 3.) The Jeremy Hill 2 point conversion was plain as day to 60,000 folks at the game, but one of them was not the line judge on the field.  And before some moron chimes in with "it doesn't matter all scoring plays are reviewed", this was not a scoring play since it was ruled unsuccessful.  Thank God the replays are not done by the same officiating crew. 

That had to be the most glaring case of "Screw the Bengals" I've seen in awhile. If we're 6-0 heading into SHitsburgh, expect worse.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 12:24 AM)Shady Wrote: That had to be the most glaring case of "Screw the Bengals" I've seen in awhile. If we're 6-0 heading into SHitsburgh, expect worse.

I think it was an attempt at a "make up" call from the Kelce fumble, which could have gone either way.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 11:36 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I thought the play Marvin challenged was going to be incomplete as it was just like the Eifert non-TD catch.  He didn't have time to establish himself and he clearly lost the ball going to the ground.  By rule:  Incomplete.  Yet somehow they said he established himself with two steps and Eifert didn't with 4 steps!

And it happened twice...How do these assbags still have a job as NFL officials?  I swear once the Bengals started strong, it was like the officials had to get KC back in the game.  I was completely baffled.  No, I was pissed off.  If that shit costs them a game, someone's head needs to roll.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 12:24 AM)Shady Wrote: That had to be the most glaring case of "Screw the Bengals" I've seen in awhile. If we're 6-0 heading into SHitsburgh, expect worse.

Exactly.  Help the poor rapist, pothead, and dog killer.  Those poor guys (with the largest fan base in the USA) are going to be eliminated before November without their help! 

That largest fan base in the USA is indicative that there are a LOT of people out there who will never accomplish anything in their own lives but feel that being a part of the steeler (puke) nation somehow makes them a winner. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 11:52 PM)CrowFoot Wrote: I believe the KC receiver had 3 steps before he was hit. He was a runner, not a receiver going to the ground. I think it was the right call.

Now with possession and a "football move" he didn't.  It was an overall pathetic excuse for officiating.  Strangely, it only seemed to become really bad once the Bengals had a chance to seemingly put KC away early.  Why the sudden desire to keep KC in the game?  It was obvious and clearly one-sided. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2015, 11:54 PM)EatonFan Wrote: We could argue this point all day and neither be "right" as the rule SUCKS!

This "going to the ground" nonsense is awful.  What was wrong with the old rule of maintaining control and two feet down again?

On this subject, and away from my "these refs blow goats" rant...

If the NFL truly is concerned about player safety, why not state the rule simply as "clear possession in the field of play with two feet down".  A player makes a catch, in bounds, and is going to take a huge hit.  He handles the hit, but after absorbing said hit, he puts out his hands to protect himself from landing hard on his elbow, shoulder, or head? 

Why should a player be forced to hold on to the ball THROUGH the process of hitting the ground and leave themselves open to a traumatic impact on whatever part of their body ends up slamming the turf first?

It seems to me that a catch is having possession with two feet down in bounds.  That crap about holding on all the way to the ground is stupid as hell.

Resuming previous rant:  that is the rule now and it should be enforced consistently across all teams.
Reply/Quote