Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ogbuehi Showed A Lot Of Improvement
(08-27-2017, 09:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Granted that it was only one preseason game, and there's still room for improvement, but I was VERY PLEASED with the improvement that Ogbuehi showed today.

He looked good in the run game, as usual, but he also held his own in pass protection very well.  I only watched him closely for the first half, but he only was beaten once, and it was a nice move by the defender where he faked like he was going outside, waited until Obguehi started to move that way, and made a speed move underneath to get past him.  It's not an excuse, but I think it was more of a great play by the defender than it was a lapse by Obguehi.

He was bullrushed on a great move once but held his own, even though he did get pushed back.

Anyone else notice his play?

We'd obviously need to see it consistently, but am I right in feeling a bit more at ease?

Ogbuehi, going into his third season, has a lot to prove still. He's replacing Whit, who was a better player in all phases of the position. Remember that Whit had whole seasons where he only gave up 1 sack. Og may not have a whole game where he doesn't give up a sack. That's a huge difference.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:23 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ogbuehi, going into his third season, has a lot to prove still. He's replacing Whit, who was a better player in all phases of the position. Remember that Whit had whole seasons where he only gave up 1 sack. Og may not have a whole game where he doesn't give up a sack. That's a huge difference.

I know he still has A LOT to prove but I'm just saying that I saw improvement from the first two games when he held up less resistance than a wet paper bag.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:23 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ogbuehi, going into his third season, has a lot to prove still. He's replacing Whit, who was a better player in all phases of the position. Remember that Whit had whole seasons where he only gave up 1 sack. Og may not have a whole game where he doesn't give up a sack. That's a huge difference.

His play has zero to do with Whit.. you evaluate his performance as the LT not with a ghost that is not on the team.. plus you can;t compare Whit the veteran with double digit years with a player with little experience... 
Reply/Quote

Whit wasn't a better player in all phases.  He sucked when asked to pull, which is why he wasn't asked to pull often.  He was a better overall player, certainly, but he wasn't better at everything.
Reply/Quote
Joe Goodberry posted a lot of clips of the game on his Twitter yesterday, some of which focused specifically on the OL.
Here's one of Ogbuehi absolutely losing inside to the edge rusher. It was embarrassing. The saving grace was that Dalton got rid of the ball quickly so that it didn't result in a sack or fumble.
https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/902186293576310785

Ogbuehi also straight up whiffs on this second-level block (along with the rest of the OL)
https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/902190431257198592

So I guess when rewatching some of these specific clips of the game afterwards and slowed down, Ogbuehi didn't play as well as I thought.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
He cant be the worst player in 2016 in the history of the Bengals to good in one year. I still think he stinks bit he can only improve so theres that. Some here claim hes starter material after not giving up a sack in 3 gams. Even though these arent real games where the d blitzes n only play 2 quarter's a game. We need this guy to at least be serviceable to make the playoffs
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 11:18 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: He cant be the worst player in 2016 in the history of the Bengals to good in one year.  I still think he stinks bit he can only improve so theres that.   Some here claim hes starter material after not giving up a sack in 3 gams.   Even though these arent real games where the d blitzes n only play 2 quarter's a game.   We need this guy to at least be serviceable to make the playoffs

Exactly. The Bengals have been able to have solid OL when only one of their starters played poorly (typically it was Bodine). We saw last year what happens when multiple OL play poorly (Bodine and Ogbuehi). I don't expect Bodine to get really any better compared to last year, as he sure hasn't shown much improvement so far this preseason. So the Bengals need both of their OTs and RG to at least be serviceable if there's any hope of making the playoffs. It's hard to expect that all three would do that this year, which is why I predict the Bengals just miss on the playoffs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 11:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Exactly. The Bengals have been able to have solid OL when only one of their starters played poorly (typically it was Bodine). We saw last year what happens when multiple OL play poorly (Bodine and Ogbuehi). I don't expect Bodine to get really any better compared to last year, as he sure hasn't shown much improvement so far this preseason. So the Bengals need both of their OTs and RG to at least be serviceable if there's any hope of making the playoffs. It's hard to expect that all three would do that this year, which is why I predict the Bengals just miss on the playoffs.

I think having a run game will mask the deficiencies of the offensive line because Mixon will keep them honest and prevent them from just teeing off on the pass rush.

I also think that Andy just making three-step drops, as we saw in the preseason, will also help to keep him safe.

You can't always do that and the line does need to step-up their play, but I think we can squeak into the playoffs. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 03:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think having a run game will mask the deficiencies of the offensive line because Mixon will keep them honest and prevent them from just teeing off on the pass rush.

I also think that Andy just making three-step drops, as we saw in the preseason, will also help to keep him safe.

You can't always do that and the line does need to step-up their play, but I think we can squeak into the playoffs. 

Yea I think that's actually supported in the links I posted.
The Bengals' offense will have to primarily be quick throws and the running games needs to be at least somewhat effective.
While it may seem like I've criticized Ogbuehi the most, it's because most of the thread topics have been on his performance. However, I'm still most concerned with Bodine because he simply is what he is...a below average starter that needs replaced. He gets pushed back or falls down way too often. And he's entering his fourth year, so I don't have any optimism for his improvement. If C play were upgraded, you'd see an actual pocket that Dalton could step into to extend the play and also see a better running game.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 03:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea I think that's actually supported in the links I posted.
The Bengals' offense will have to primarily be quick throws and the running games needs to be at least somewhat effective.
While it may seem like I've criticized Ogbuehi the most, it's because most of the thread topics have been on his performance. However, I'm still most concerned with Bodine because he simply is what he is...a below average starter that needs replaced. He gets pushed back or falls down way too often. And he's entering his fourth year, so I don't have any optimism for his improvement. If C play were upgraded, you'd see an actual pocket that Dalton could step into to extend the play and also see a better running game.

Completely agree but it seems like we've been bitching about Bodine's play from game one and the from office never seems to put much importance into the position.  That seems like a Mike Brown mentality, and he says he doesn't have much to do with day-to-day operations anymore, but he still would be the one opening his wallet, so maybe he's just refusing to pay for an upgrade.  

There are several guys that we could get in the first four rounds of the 2018 draft that could end up being quality NFL centers, but I don't have much faith in Paul Alexander coaching them up to their potential (maybe we can hope that they won't need much coaching).

Maybe a free agent would come available and we'd finally get our wish because center is a BIG piece that's keeping us from getting over the hump (IMCO).
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 03:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think having a run game will mask the deficiencies of the offensive line because Mixon will keep them honest and prevent them from just teeing off on the pass rush.

Damn rights Brad, plus last year even with those two players playing terrible we might of made the
Playoffs if the Kickers made the easy kicks. And Og will be better than last year, so will Fisher, so will
Boling who was playing with an injury, Hopkins looks like a solid run blocker.

I see 9 wins at the worst after watching this O-line so far. Better than i expected honestly and will get
better with more snaps since these guys are young.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 11:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: His play has zero to do with Whit.. you evaluate his performance as the LT not with a ghost that is not on the team.. plus you can;t compare Whit the veteran with double digit years with a player with little experience... 

Comparing his play to Whit IS evaluating his performance as the LT. Why can't we expect him to play as well as Whit? Why should I accept a weaker player? Why should the fans accept this? Especially since the team has had two years to see that Og isn't going to be an improvement.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 08:53 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Comparing his play to Whit IS evaluating his performance as the LT. Why can't we expect him to play as well as Whit? Why should I accept a weaker player? Why should the fans accept this? Especially since the team has had two years to see that Og isn't going to be an improvement.

Come on Chris. You have to be somewhat fair to Og. This is his first real year with an Offseason under his belt man.

BTW, i will tell you something that Og is better already than Whit at if you want...

Pulling in the run game.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Come on Chris. You have to be somewhat fair to Og. This is his first real year with an Offseason under his belt man.

BTW, i will tell you something that Og is better already than Whit at if you want...

Pulling in the run game.

He may be faster than Whit was, but the LT's first duty is to protect the QB and that's what I'm more concerned about. Whit was a very good run blocker on runs to the left side. Pulling the LT is for for runs to right side. Ok, so we've improved our runs to the right side, but we'll give up more sacks. Andy was sacked too much last year.

Og needs to show he can pass block against good pass rushers. Haven't seen that yet.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: He may be faster than Whit was, but the LT's first duty is to protect the QB and that's what I'm more concerned about. Whit was a very good run blocker on runs to the left side. Pulling the LT is for for runs to right side. Ok, so we've improved our runs to the right side, but we'll give up more sacks. Andy was sacked too much last year.

Og needs to show he can pass block against good pass rushers. Haven't seen that yet.

Definately agree, but truly believe he just needs more snaps.

Takes awhile, just like it did with Whit and he had his first two Offseasons.

Not saying he will be Whit cause that is the tallest shoes to fill besides Munoz but still..

Og has size and has gotten significantly stronger since last season.
Reply/Quote
It was a mirage!
Reply/Quote