Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ogbuehi Sucks
(08-12-2017, 12:36 PM)McC Wrote: Is he an ongoing project?  Yes.  Does he still have a ways to go?  Yes.  Did he look better than last year?  Hell yes.  With game planning and play calling and TE help, we can win with him.  All is not lost.

Amen!
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 01:56 PM)grampahol Wrote: It is possible that as Cincinnati Bengals fans we became quite spoiled by having Andrew Wittworth at that tackle position for so long and anyone not named Andrew Wittworth will always be seen as 39 steps backwards even if they actually play better. 
We had Munoz and Witt for a long time. That's some tough shoes to step into. 
Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think he'll be ok and keep improving. He's got a LONG LONG LONG way to go to get to Canton.. I don't think he'll ever get there, but it's still early in his football career. 

Don't forget Levi Jones between them.  So, as you demonstrate, the Bengals have had a tradition of excellence at LT, for about the last 3 decades.  So, of course it's going to be a shock to the fan base to not have one of the best in the league out there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 01:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You know me, I'm generally about as optimistic as they come.  However, I am of the mindset that it's do or die for Cedric Ogbuehi.  His only listed backup is an undrafted rfa from ND State..  Add in the fact that Fisher hasn't officially blown everyone away, and the only two others with Tackle experience are the often injured Andre Smith, and the "going over the hill fast" Eric Winston.  

I'm thinking that if Cedric Ogbuehi doesn't make some major strides at showing he can competently handle the job, the Bengals might have to do the unthinkable, and make a deal for an existing veteran off of another roster.

I agree with ya. I would have preferred to tag whit for a year and let ced continue to develop. I am somewhat appalled at the lack of effort in securing a quality backup tackle. I'm more encouraged by what I saw from ced last night than I am discouraged. I just hope the positive momentum continues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 10:46 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've read two articles this morning that tend to agree with your overall take on the OL's performance, as a unit.  Both said the OL played well, but both were critical of Ogbuehi.  One of the authors went to length to criticize Og's lack of aggression, and the fact that he was walking or standing around, while run plays were still live.  Both authors were quick to point out that Ogbuehi got beaten on multiple plays in Pass Pro.

these things are fixable.  I think it's still way to early to nail the coffin on Ogbuehi.  It's his feet that worries me a bit.  i think he stands around because he is "thinking" rather than playing. His aggression would also be attenuated by his thinking.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 12:22 PM)McC Wrote: So he doesn't go from awful to superstar in one off season. That means he sucks, apparently. Og, you will be a whipping boy and nothing short of All Pro will change those minds.

No, but I'd expect a third-year pro that was a first round draft pick to put up more resistance than a bed sheet in the wind.

I don't expect him to be an All Pro but I do NEED him to be serviceable.
(08-12-2017, 01:56 PM)grampahol Wrote: It is possible that as Cincinnati Bengals fans we became quite spoiled by having Andrew Wittworth at that tackle position for so long and anyone not named Andrew Wittworth will always be seen as 39 steps backwards even if they actually play better. 
We had Munoz and Witt for a long time. That's some tough shoes to step into. 
Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think he'll be ok and keep improving. He's got a LONG LONG LONG way to go to get to Canton.. I don't think he'll ever get there, but it's still early in his football career. 

I'll be ok with him being an average starter that protects Andy and gets the job done, but his lack of agility and mobility last night has me scared of the OLBs in the division pass rushing him because it appeared that they'll be able to run right around him.
Reply/Quote
Interesting social study on a forum taking place. One thread says that Og took a step forward. This thread says Og Sucks. Both were started up around same time. Guess which one has the most response with views & posts?

But more importantly which thread is right? Neither, because we dont know enough until the regular season starts when the games actually count for something with teams going a full 100% for 4 quarters.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
It seems that the adjustmenta have been made for Andy to get rid of the ball quickly to avoid sacks. I really believe that this will result in more interceptions and pretty much eliminate long passes. Maybe as the season goes on, OG can improve enough to take pressure off of Andy. I really believe that Andy has been put in a bad situation. If Andy doesn't play well, look at the line first before jumping Andy.
Reply/Quote
I heard Branden Albert was back on market..........hmmmmm??
Reply/Quote
The only reason we didn't have another QB sack fest was that Andy was getting the ball out in under 2 seconds and both QBs were using short quick throws and short drops almost exclusively. Combine Og and his issues with Bodine still looking awful and we still have the same issue on offense where we have to get the ball out before any deeper plays can develop.
Reply/Quote
I find it almost impossible to suck when your quarterback throws the ball in 1.5 seconds. If there is a guy than can, Ced is your man. Run blocking seemed better though
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 04:37 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I heard Branden Albert was back on market..........hmmmmm??
Saw that and almost started a thread on it but then thought "we're the Bengals..... no way in hell we pick him up, especially not when we have a first round pick starting."

We'll ride with Ced for AT LEAST one or two more seasons, regardless of how much our offense is failing because of him.
(08-12-2017, 04:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: The only reason we didn't have another QB sack fest was that Andy was getting the ball out in under 2 seconds and both QBs were using short quick throws and short drops almost exclusively. Combine Og and his issues with Bodine still looking awful and we still have the same issue on offense where we have to get the ball out before any deeper plays can develop.
I noticed that too. A lot of three-step drops and throwing as soon as the right foot planted on the third step.

If Mixon can gain chunks of yards on first and second down, we might be ok with only having to complete short passes for first downs and maybe Mixon can help out on the occasional play that we do go long, out of necessity or just to keep the defense honest.
(08-12-2017, 05:07 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I find it almost impossible to suck when your quarterback throws the ball in 1.5 seconds. If there is a guy than can, Ced is your man. Run blocking seemed better though

Run blocking was ok, but Ced definitely struggles when he has to open up and block someone in space.

Moving horizontally seems to be a big problem with him and like he wasn't even trying at times.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 04:37 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I heard Branden Albert was back on market..........hmmmmm??

No way.  Dude retired like a week into Jags camp, then suddenly unretired when he found out he'd have to pay back about $3.5 mil of his signing bonus.  Plus, reports were he was out of shape.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 01:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If I'm going into last night's game with no assumptions, then Ced was not an issue last night.

INT in the readzone

TB marching on our 1st team D

DB play

LB play

Now those were issues.

Yep....gotta agree.  DB read the route all along on the INT too. Didn't pay attention....maybe Dalton stared it down. He jumped the route that quickly.

DB play was shady....but they let Evans push off quite a bit.

Backers still can't cover the middle of the field.

(08-12-2017, 01:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not to derail the Ogbuehi suckfest, but you say there was a concern with the LB play?  Did an individual or two have a poor outing, or was it the unit as a collective whole?

Whole unit....still can't cover the middle of the field.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 04:33 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It seems that the adjustmenta have been made for Andy to get rid of the ball quickly to avoid sacks. I really believe that this will result in more interceptions and pretty much eliminate long passes. Maybe as the season goes on, OG can improve enough to take pressure off of Andy. I really believe that Andy has been put in a bad situation. If Andy doesn't play well, look at the line first before jumping Andy.

You're right....with anticipation and timing comes miscommunication and INTs.  I did notice that as well. The one adjustment I noticed that was even bigger than that was seeing more of the H back on the field.  That'll help both facets of the offense.  With the way Hopkins played.....we may be able to move Fish to LT and platoon Smith and Winston at RT in the event Og falls flat again and doesn't improve.  Or....possibly sign a FA LT that gets cut.  As I said.....he didn't look anything like Munoz out there....but he didn't look bad enough to tank the entire season again.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 02:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't forget Levi Jones between them.  So, as you demonstrate, the Bengals have had a tradition of excellence at LT, for about the last 3 decades.  So, of course it's going to be a shock to the fan base to not have one of the best in the league out there.

Yeah.....but Sunset.....he was one of, if not THE worst linemen I have ever seen start a NFL game last season.  It wasn't just a drop off or being spoiled ...he looked like he had literally never seen a football field last season. He made Margus Hunt look like a seasoned vet.

Reply/Quote
See this is the problem as we really dont know the play call or assignment. The play where Hill got blown up in the backfield I thought was either a bad play by Ced but could also be on Hill and Dalton cuz if you look, he pushes dude past where the pocket would be but Hill ran right to where Ced pushed him. Looks like ced either thought it was a draw or quick pass play and it was something else. He didnt look great but not too bad either. I personal think we should slide Hopkins out there to LT.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 06:46 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: See this is the problem as we really dont know the play call or assignment. The play where Hill got blown up in the backfield I thought was either a bad play by Ced but could also be on Hill and Dalton cuz if you look, he pushes dude past where the pocket would be but Hill ran right to where Ced pushed him. Looks like ced either thought it was a draw or quick pass play and it was something else. He didnt look great but not too bad either. I personal think we should slide Hopkins out there to LT.

Maybe but there were some plays where he just got beat when his job was clear.

After watching the Steelers game last night, TJ Watt will make Dalton more crippled than I am if Ced doesn't improve and we have a back help block him.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 06:46 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: See this is the problem as we really dont know the play call or assignment. The play where Hill got blown up in the backfield I thought was either a bad play by Ced but could also be on Hill and Dalton cuz if you look, he pushes dude past where the pocket would be but Hill ran right to where Ced pushed him. Looks like ced either thought it was a draw or quick pass play and it was something else. He didnt look great but not too bad either. I personal think we should slide Hopkins out there to LT.

Has Hopkins played any LT?

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 06:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Maybe but there were some plays where he just got beat when his job was clear.

After watching the Steelers game last night, TJ Watt will make Dalton more crippled than I am if Ced doesn't improve and we have a back help block him.

Don't Worry. He will see Suggs and Watt his first 2 games.... We will know exactly what we have very early..... Hope Andy survives.
Reply/Quote
Positive side, Ced was not the worst player on the field. Dud anyone pay attention to Michael Johnson. My god his awful. He was on the ground on ever play i think, n provided absolutely zero push or pressure. I understand the Bengals way is to start your expensive veterans but this guy needs the bench or get cut. My god he stinks.
Reply/Quote