Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ogbuehi Sucks
(08-12-2017, 06:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: You're right....with anticipation and timing comes miscommunication and INTs.  I did notice that as well. The one adjustment I noticed that was even bigger than that was seeing more of the H back on the field.  That'll help both facets of the offense.  With the way Hopkins played.....we may be able to move Fish to LT and platoon Smith and Winston at RT in the event Og falls flat again and doesn't improve.  Or....possibly sign a FA LT that gets cut.  As I said.....he didn't look anything like Munoz out there....but he didn't look bad enough to tank the entire season again.

Totally agree that there has to be a serious look at the line at cut time, I don't see how they can't. The blocking from backs and TE is even more important this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 09:18 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Positive side, Ced was not the worst player on the field. Dud anyone pay attention to Michael Johnson. My god his awful. He was on the ground on ever play i think, n provided absolutely zero push or pressure. I understand the Bengals way is to start your expensive veterans but this guy needs the bench or get cut. My god he stinks.

Jordan Willis needs to be starting over Johnson....I wouldn't even put Johnson on the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Preseason Game #1 down, and I didn't see anything, either way, to change my 8-8 prediction, IF they stay relative healthy.
Reply/Quote
I thought Ced played well for his first pre season game in the first season he has had a training camp. Nobody got to Andy, that's the important part. Also, I tought the backup right tackle played well and could take over for Smith if he gets hurt again with little to no drop off...
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 10:46 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've read two articles this morning that tend to agree with your overall take on the OL's performance, as a unit.  Both said the OL played well, but both were critical of Ogbuehi.  One of the authors went to length to criticize Og's lack of aggression, and the fact that he was walking or standing around, while run plays were still live.  Both authors were quick to point out that Ogbuehi got beaten on multiple plays in Pass Pro.

It's the kind of thing that has made me think he just doesn't have the heart for the game like a Whitworth or Munoz.  
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 02:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't forget Levi Jones between them.  So, as you demonstrate, the Bengals have had a tradition of excellence at LT, for about the last 3 decades.  So, of course it's going to be a shock to the fan base to not have one of the best in the league out there.

I loved Whittworth, but he was an average run blocker at LT and an exceptional pass blocker. I understand a LT protects the blind side and Whittworth was one of the best doing it, but let's not ignore his issues with run blocking either.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 03:31 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: these things are fixable.  I think it's still way to early to nail the coffin on Ogbuehi.  It's his feet that worries me a bit.  i think he stands around because he is "thinking" rather than playing.  His aggression would also be attenuated by his thinking.

I know fans love to hate on PA, but I was impressed watching every coach work their tails off coaching at a recent practice open to the public. My point is as much as we think we are experts and the writers think they are experts, we are novices when it comes to evaluating talent and improving pro caliber talent.

I was very happy with the OL last night and very unhappy with our starting DL, LBers and CB's. Dennard stunk and so did Atkins, Dunlap. MJ and Sims. Chris Smith and maybe Willis played well from the DL unit. Minter made Rey M. look like an all pro. He was slow and horrible in pass coverage. Burfict missed an easy tack;e and Vigil was not impressive. J. Evans was only LB who I thought played well. Lawson was getting manhandled.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 05:07 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I find it almost impossible to suck when your quarterback throws the ball in 1.5 seconds.   If there is a guy than can, Ced is your man.  Run blocking seemed better though

Is that why the Pats OL looks so good since Brady is quicker getting rid of the ball than Dalton.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 10:37 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Preseason Game #1 down, and I didn't see anything, either way, to change my 8-8 prediction, IF they stay relative healthy.

Well there we have it, the season is over according to you?

I saw Mixon being a potential stud and Hill running very hard.
I saw Malone making  this team and the WR corp being much improved adding Malone and Ross into the mix.
I saw a better reason to consider trading McCarren since we can't afford to keep 3 QB'S on the roster in 2017
I saw William Jackson flash signs of a play maker and starting CB with Jones and Dre K. who did not play last night.
I saw 2 very good kickers have great nights.
I think the trade for Chris Smith will pay off as he becomes a better Gilberry when we picked him up years ago.

I saw a potentially faster team in 2017 and lots of hope if we can stay healthy. I think Eifert normally has been hurt in the preseason so good to see him out there.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 07:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: Has Hopkins played any LT?

Yes hes played alot in previous preseasons. He also played guard and pancaked Brandon Williams of the Ravens last year like 5 times. 
Reply/Quote
Honestly think he's out best lineman. Hopkins that is.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 11:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well there we have it, the season is over according to you?

Far from over.  There's still, minimum 19 games left.

We shall see if preseason game #2 alters my 8-8.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 10:23 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Jordan Willis needs to be starting over Johnson....I wouldn't even put Johnson on the team.

Willis is great pass rushing...but how he holds up against the run will be the real test.

While Johnson doesn't produce much in the pass rush department, he is decent against the run.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 11:44 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Far from over.  There's still, minimum 19 games left.

We shall see if preseason game #2 alters my 8-8.

Come on. These teams play vanilla in the preseason and it's only starter vs starter for 1 quarter. You can't tell how a team will do during the regular season.

Some teams go 4-0 in the preseason and 3-13 on the year.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 11:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Come on. These teams play vanilla in the preseason and it's only starter vs starter for 1 quarter. You can't tell how a team will do during the regular season.

Some teams go 4-0 in the preseason and 3-13 on the year.

You beat me to it. Preseason game one. Basically a glorified practice for the #1s. Execute the vanilla plays that are called and get off the field after you get your feet wet. 

I liked the overall feel of how the game went. Definitely a good first step. Last year, the feeling wasn't good and i ignored it, thinking things would get better over time. They obviously didn't and i looked back thinking i should have trusted my gut.

It was a good start to a mostly meaningless (in the grand scheme) vanilla game. It's funny to see people going off the hook talking about all the changes that need to be made.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 11:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Is that why the Pats OL looks so good since Brady is quicker getting rid of the ball than Dalton.

Come on man.  Brady will throw it in 1 second but he also stands in the pocket for what seems like a minute .   Afterwards I'm always like, what the hell how come we can't do that.   And Michael Johnson sucks at run defense too.  He should not be starting   ..even the Bucs saw that as they dumped him after one season  .  
Reply/Quote
No, he didn't suck. 

I got tired of waiting for Game Pass so i went and found the game on youtube and watched all offensive plays, Og only. I graded him with a Win, Loss or Tie on run and pass plays. 

Running game, Win is taking his man out of the play, Loss is getting beat and his man making the tackle, Tie is basically, the run going the other way. 
Pass game, Win is keeping his man completely away from the QB, Loss is getting beat for a sack or pressure, Tie is holding his man out long enough for the QB to go through his natural progression and throwing motion. 

He was definitely helped by the quick passing, but still whiffed a couple times giving up pressure even with that. I will go as far as to say he mauled fools in the run game. 

One thing i didn't see was a guy that was lazy or didn't seem to care. Not even close to that on any of the plays. Another thing i didn't see is a guy that has the bust label as a possibility. What i did see was a guy that needs to work on his feet still. And he needs some confidence in his technique, which can only come with more  and more positive reps. 

All that said, the first capital letter is W, L or T for Win Loss or Tie. The second lower case letter is r or p for Run or Pass. I added in a couple notes here and there. Feel free to watch the game and agree or disagree. This is in order, from his first snap to his last. 

1st series
-----------
Wr
Tp
Wr
Wr
Wr
Tp
Lr whiff
Tp
Tp
Lr  on 2nd level block
Wr
Tp

2nd series
------------
Wr on the 2nd level
Lp pressure
Wp
Wp
Lp got beat but it was a quick pass and pressure didn't effect QB
Wr
Tr
Tp

3rd series
------------
Wr on the 2nd level
Wr
Lp pressure on quick pass again
Tr his guy was 2nd in on the tackle
Wp
Wp

Run game, 13 snaps-- 9 W, 2 T, 2 L
Pass game, 13 snaps-- 4 W, 6 T, 3 L

There's my personal game grade. I'd give him a B, mostly on his run blocking. Good effort but needs work on the passpro. Again, the grade was greatly helped by the quick passes by both QBs. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 11:39 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: Yes hes played alot in previous preseasons. He also played guard and pancaked Brandon Williams of the Ravens last year like 5 times. 

Cool. Thanks for the info....I hadn't been paying attention. He looked good Friday night, that's for sure.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 11:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know fans love to hate on PA, but I was impressed watching every coach work their tails off coaching at a recent practice open to the public. My point is as much as we think we are experts and the writers think they are experts, we are novices when it comes to evaluating talent and improving pro caliber talent.

I was very happy with the OL last night and very unhappy with our starting DL, LBers and CB's. Dennard stunk and so did Atkins, Dunlap. MJ and Sims. Chris Smith and maybe Willis played well from the DL unit. Minter made Rey M. look like an all pro. He was slow and horrible in pass coverage. Burfict missed an easy tack;e and Vigil was not impressive. J. Evans was only LB who I thought played well. Lawson was getting manhandled.

.....but damn....Lawson is fast. He needs some polish....but the speed rusher part of him is there.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Lawson is not a linebacker unless you throw him in a 3 4 defense where he can set the edge n speed rush every play. Don't waste his skill set like David Polllack by standing him up n playing off the line. He's definitely out of place there . Ugh . Why do I see them playing Slb
Reply/Quote