Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ogbuehi and Bodine must have been the Zen Masters of Ketchup...
(05-19-2018, 10:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: C'mon man, the only thing around here that's jumped the shark, is your love for Paul Alexander.  While most fans are overjoyed that the team the team parted ways with a man who's time had surely passed, you continue to gush about how great he is.

Actually I have said several times that when the O-line fails like ours just did the O-line coach has to take a hit.  I can not complainj about the Bengals firing Alexander.

All I am doing is pointing out how ridiculous some of these "extremists" arguments are.

Have you ever heard of a coach saying "I don't want good players because I want to show everyone what a great coach I am with nothing but scrubs."  I have been a sports fan a long time and I have never heard anything like that from any coach ever.  Have you?  All I have ever seen is all of them do everything they can to get the best players possible.

Its like people are not satisfied with a guy just being a bad coach (or player).  Instead they have to make it personal.  They have to demonize him and make him a bad or weak person.  

Paul Alexander was a highly regarded coach for years.  He had his two best players signed away by other teams and the guys he picked to replace them did not work out.  He has been hired away by another team.  I find it funny thaqt the same guys who always complain that the bengals were doing something "no other team in the league would do" suddenly change their story when these other teams in the league do exactly what the Bengasl did.  Then those "other teams" are suddenly dumber than the Bengals.

Paul Alexander is not the monster that some of you claim.  There is no evidence that his massive ego caused trouble with the coaching staff.  Theere is no evidence that he demanded the assistant head coach designation to feed his massive ego.  There is no evidence that he did not want high draft picks to work with because of his massive ego.  The hate has jumped the shark.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I have said several times that when the O-line fails like ours just did the O-line coach has to take a hit.  I can not complainj about the Bengals firing Alexander.

All I am doing is pointing out how ridiculous some of these "extremists" arguments are.

Have you ever heard of a coach saying "I don't want good players because I want to show everyone what a great coach I am with nothing but scrubs."  I have been a sports fan a long time and I have never heard anything like that from any coach ever.  Have you?  All I have ever seen is all of them do everything they can to get the best players possible.

Its like people are not satisfied with a guy just being a bad coach (or player).  Instead they have to make it personal.  They have to demonize him and make him a bad or weak person.  

Paul Alexander was a highly regarded coach for years.  He had his two best players signed away by other teams and the guys he picked to replace them did not work out.  He has been hired away by another team.  I find it funny thaqt the same guys who always complain that the bengals were doing something "no other team in the league would do" suddenly change their story when these other teams in the league do exactly what the Bengasl did.  Then those "other teams" are suddenly dumber than the Bengals.

Paul Alexander is not the monster that some of you claim.  There is no evidence that his massive ego caused trouble with the coaching staff.  Theere is no evidence that he demanded the assistant head coach designation to feed his massive ego.  There is no evidence that he did not want high draft picks to work with because of his massive ego.  The hate has jumped the shark.

[Image: heinz-ketchup-24-14-oz-bottles-case.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 10:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: C'mon man, the only thing around here that's jumped the shark, is your love for Paul Alexander.  While most fans are overjoyed that the team the team parted ways with a man who's time had surely passed, you continue to gush about how great he is.

Have you purchased yourself a Cowboys T-shirt, yet?

He isn't a PA fan. He's just full of it. He's a contrarian who gets his jollies going against the norm. Kind of patting himself on the back by trying to show that he's smarter than everyone else. I no longer buy it. The guy would probably still claim that chuck bresnahan deserved more of a chance here if anyone ever brought it up  Whatever 
Reply/Quote
I actually agree with Fred, for the most part here. If Ogbuehi and Fisher weren't absolute busts, PA might still have a decent body of work to look at over his tenure here. He wasn't great with centers in general, but that's somewhat manageable if the two tackles pan out. He presided over at least two absolutely outstanding lines in his time here.

Those two picks left this team snakebitten for years and may continue to do so for a couple more. Those are the things that ended him here. He got away from the traditional Bengals/AFC North big, nasty OT prototype and went with two finesse guys from extremely gimmicky college offenses. It was beyond stupid, to be honest and I still cannot understand it.

The 2015 draft ranks right up there with the 2015 Pittsburgh WC game and the 2005 Palmer knee game as days in modern Bengal history I'd erase if I had a time machine.
Reply/Quote
This is from the USA Today article:

Quote:In football, there are eleven defenders and eight gaps that they can charge. Assuming each man can choose one gap, there are 437,514 possible defensive alignments that the offensive line must deal with.

It's proof that the guy very, very over complicated the game. I can just imagine Bodine there in his stance thinking and wondering which combinations of attacks he's going to have to guard against as he snaps the ball. Alexander had these guys thinking way, way too much.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 08:16 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Bold prediction:

Piano man is out on his ass after one year in Dallas... And Mikey Boy brings him back to Cincy as an assistant something or other Nervous

Please don't even joke about that. I'll have nightmares for a week now. Nervous
Reply/Quote
Tongue
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote