Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ogbuehi continues to improve
So we are two preseason games in and Cedric has no sacks and no penalties after two games. How many of us would have predicted that after last season......

He played a solid game tonight.. improved from last year and last week performance that is all we can ask of him.. he is not going to be Whitworth at this stage in his career but we don;t need Whitworth we just need him to play like he did tonight and continue to get better..

Sure it was a rough night for the team especially defense but most of us came into the preseason worried most about LT and so far after two games we can worry less...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Didn't watch the game (thankfully from what I have read) but the box score has Dalton and McCarron at a combined 6.82 YPA, after a combined 6.69 YPA in Week 1 where it was a lot of quick 1-1.5 second type passing plays where the target is determined before the snap. No 5 or 7 step drops. Was that the case again in Week 2, as the box score suggests? If so, it's not really impressive that a LT gives up no sacks when you've crippled your entire offense around not giving him the chance to screw up by quickly dinking and dunking.

Dalton in 2016 behind a bad OL: 7.5 YPA
Dalton in 2015 behind a good OL: 8.4 YPA

So the 6.7-ish YPA they're putting up right now looks like a pretty steep continuation of the OL being bad.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I didn't focus on OB but the o-line was inconsistent.

Also, you seem to want to prove to everyone that he's ok, not sure why. He's been a complete bum so far.
Reply/Quote
The entire OL played like hot garbage, including Og. He got dominated in the run game and had at least two flat out lapses out there in pass protection.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:00 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Didn't watch the game (thankfully from what I have read) but the box score has Dalton and McCarron at a combined 6.82 YPA, after a combined 6.69 YPA in Week 1 where it was a lot of quick 1-1.5 second type passing plays where the target is determined before the snap. No 5 or 7 step drops. Was that the case again in Week 2, as the box score suggests? If so, it's not really impressive that a LT gives up no sacks when you've crippled your entire offense around not giving him the chance to screw up by quickly dinking and dunking.

So the 6.7-ish YPA they're putting up right now looks like a pretty steep continuation of the OL being bad.

Solid game is a stretch. He was beaten badly on 2 or 3 pass plays at a minimum, Andy just got rid of ball. Munoz was being nice and saying he had some nice blocks on early runs. They were pitter patter getting in the way blocks, not getting nasty head cracking drive blocks by any stretch.

Is he improving ? perhaps slightly. But line is still a major concern
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:00 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Didn't watch the game (thankfully from what I have read) but the box score has Dalton and McCarron at a combined 6.82 YPA, after a combined 6.69 YPA in Week 1 where it was a lot of quick 1-1.5 second type passing plays where the target is determined before the snap. No 5 or 7 step drops. Was that the case again in Week 2, as the box score suggests? If so, it's not really impressive that a LT gives up no sacks when you've crippled your entire offense around not giving him the chance to screw up by quickly dinking and dunking.

The line was pretty bad tonight. The run blocking was non-existent and Dalton was under a lot of pressure. They only allowed one sack while Dalton was in...but it's a problem.

Ced had a decent block in the run game...but he did get beat by edge rushers at times. It just didn't result in a sack.

He is improving I suppose from the worst LT in the NFL.

The overall line is going to be bad this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:03 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I didn't focus on OB but the o-line was inconsistent.  

Also, you seem to want to prove to everyone that he's ok, not sure why. He's been a complete bum so far.

Exactly!

The line was terrible. No run blocking. Dalton was under pressure. Yet this guy wants us to believe that Ced was ok.

Who cares if one player plays ok? The line is bad!
Reply/Quote
He's fine if they just run straight at him and he doesn't have to move. When they do that, he sustains the block fine, but if they go at his inside shoulder or outside shoulder where he has to move, he struggles.
Reply/Quote

We threw the ball downfield.. down and distance dictates part of that.. but to answer your question yes our LT had to hold his blocks at times.. plus run blocking is also part of the game. and he held his own ,, i liked that i saw more hustle and down field blocking overall.. had a nice pancake block on a pull. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:15 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: He's fine if they just run straight at him and he doesn't have to move.  When they do that, he sustains the block fine, but if they go at his inside shoulder or outside shoulder where he has to move, he struggles.

Pretty spot on Brad

If they bullrush him he's ok, if they make a move or twist inside or outside he's in trouble.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:03 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I didn't focus on OB but the o-line was inconsistent.  

I don;t play the game, he does.. im just stating facts that he has played better than last season  and has held up ok after two games, something many people predicted would not happen.. not sure where you get that he has played as a bum.. but maybe you can expand on that. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:03 AM)Joelist Wrote: The entire OL played like hot garbage, including Og. He got dominated in the run game and had at least two flat out lapses out there in pass protection.

Totally disagree.. he had a nice pancake block.. overall the 1st team moved the ball.. they have given up 1 sack in two games.. we had a clear drop by AJ that killed a drive i believe.. Cedric handled himself well against a strong defensive team.. sure he was not perfect but who the hell is.. i will take no sacks in two game all day.. plus no major mental mistakes and he blocked just fine overall on run and pass.. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:20 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Pretty spot on Brad

If they bullrush him he's ok, if they make a move or twist inside or outside he's in trouble.

Guess what teams are going to do to attack him during the regular season?
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:12 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Exactly!

The line was terrible. No run blocking. Dalton was under pressure. Yet this guy wants us to believe that Ced was ok.

Who cares if one player plays ok? The line is bad!

We score probably 10 points in three drives if we don;t drop a ball and penalties.. you act like we went three in out in the three possessions we had.. NOT and this thread is on Ogbuehi .. without a doubt the biggest question mark on our line.. he had a decent game tonight.. look at the tape ... and please tell me overall how he did not. 
Reply/Quote
Slight improvement based on stats but that doesn't tell the whole truth. He is far from game ready. But, any improvement is a +. SHore up that run block game and we may actually break .500

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:24 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Totally disagree.. he had a nice pancake block.. overall the 1st team moved the ball.. they have given up 1 sack in two games.. we had a clear drop by AJ that killed a drive i believe.. Cedric handled himself well against a strong defensive team.. sure he was not perfect but who the hell is.. i will take no sacks in two game all day.. plus no major mental mistakes and he blocked just fine overall on run and pass.. 

Are you talking about the game tonight?

Dalton had a 78.4 rating. McCarron had a 44.6 rating.

The run blocking was bad. Dalton was under pressure a lot.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:29 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We score probably 10 points in three drives if we don;t drop a ball and penalties.. you act like we went three in out in the three possessions we had.. NOT and this thread is on Ogbuehi .. without a doubt the biggest question mark on our line.. he had a decent game tonight.. look at the tape ... and please tell me overall how he did not. 

The line was bad overall. Ced had some decent plays, but he also got beat on some rushes and didn't block that well on runs. He did pancake a guy on one which was nice to see.

But the line was bad.

We were more than a drop and penalties away from being competitive. We got destroyed out there.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:29 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Are you talking about the game tonight?

Dalton had a 78.4 rating. McCarron had a 44.6 rating.

The run blocking was bad. Dalton was under pressure a lot.

ok,, i will play along. .so if Andy had over 100 passing rating and couple TDS but Ogbuehi gave up a sack and a lose or two on a run play... are you going to tell me he played well for the limited time the starters are in ????  i doubt it..

Look at the tape.. i did multiple times.. he played decent.. had a nice pull and pancake block, went downfield better than last week.. his pass blocking was not bad..against a very good pass rush team.. of course he is not going to win every play.. and yes a QB is going to fact pressure.. that is going to happen but again i will go back to what i started with thread.. after last season to see zero sack from LT,, not great mental breakdowns and some nice run blocking on his end.. i have hope.. we have a long way to go.. but our LT tonight was not the problem tonight in not getting into the endzone..
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:29 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We score probably 10 points in three drives if we don;t drop a ball and penalties.. you act like we went three in out in the three possessions we had.. NOT and this thread is on Ogbuehi .. without a doubt the biggest question mark on our line.. he had a decent game tonight.. look at the tape ... and please tell me overall how he did not. 

Um, excuse me sir.  You cannot count points that were not scored, due to drops and such.  There is this thing called reality, where things that happened, actually happened.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 12:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Um, excuse me sir.  You cannot count points that were not scored, due to drops and such.  There is this thing called reality, where things that happened, actually happened.  

Ok so tell me where my reality is wrong.. box score on LT.. zero sacks, zero penalities, he did not drop a pass i believe no negative plays on the Left side while he was in.. pancake block on a pull ... 
Reply/Quote