Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ogbuehi turning a corner?
File this in the WAY too early to tell category, but is it possible that Og has began to turn things around in the Queen City under Pollack?  I'll believe it when I see it, but if this is indeed the case, just how bad was Piano Man?

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/7/17434272/cedric-ogbuehi-making-big-strides-with-frank-pollacks-help-bengals-offensive-line

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: File this in the WAY too early to tell category, but is it possible that Og has began to turn things around in the Queen City under Pollack?  I'll believe it when I see it, but of this is indeed the case, just how bad was Piano Man?

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/7/17434272/cedric-ogbuehi-making-big-strides-with-frank-pollacks-help-bengals-offensive-line

It would be a great turn of events if Og could win the starting RT job and actually play like a 1st rounder this season. 

As you said, I'll believe it when I see it...but I would love to see it!
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I heard he was doing MMA in the offseason, went back to his Olympic workout routine, he was unstoppable when playing as Whitworth for the practice squad, and he finally moved back to his natural position. Marvin said he was the best 4th year bust 1st round LT he had ever seen.  Ninja

Ogbuehi Turning A Corner:
[Image: corner-fail.gif]

Anyone Who Is Actually Buying Into This:
[Image: bridge-to-sell1.png]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, I heard he was doing MMA in the offseason, went back to his Olympic workout routine, he was unstoppable when playing as Whitworth for the practice squad, and he finally moved back to his natural position. Marvin said he was the best 4th year bust 1st round LT he had ever seen.  Ninja

Ogbuehi Turning A Corner:
[Image: corner-fail.gif]

Anyone Who Is Actually Buying Into This:
[Image: bridge-to-sell1.png]

No one is buying anything......it's more of a what if scenario.  What if he does become serviceable?  What would that say about Pollack's predecessor and him holding this team back?

Reply/Quote
Now there's one of those patented offseason fluff pieces that we've all come to anticipate and mock. LOL

Cedric is a Bengal, so I am truly pulling for him. However, shouldn't they at least wait until he's showing something good versus actual, live bodies, before they go talking about "making great strides" or being "coached up"?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It would be a great turn of events if Og could win the starting RT job and actually play like a 1st rounder this season. 

As you said, I'll believe it when I see it...but I would love to see it!

Time will tell.....but as the article notes, if that does happen, Frank Pollack should get some type of major award.....maybe even has "frageelay" on the box. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now there's one of those patented offseason fluff pieces that we've all come to anticipate and mock.   LOL

Cedric is a Bengal, so I am truly pulling for him.  However, shouldn't they at least wait until he's showing something good versus actual, live bodies, before they go talking about "making great strides" or being "coached up"?

Yup.....sounds like it.....but I've been reading some good stuff about our new oline coach.  

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It would be a great turn of events if Og could win the starting RT job and actually play like a 1st rounder this season. 

Especially since they didnt pick up his 5th year option and he will be a FA at the end of this season. We get him playing like a starter just in time for some other team to pay him.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:49 PM)Beaker Wrote: Especially since they didnt pick up his 5th year option and he will be a FA at the end of this season. We get him playing like a starter just in time for some other team to pay him.

Which brings up another point......playing for a paycheck.  If that's the case, he'll just lay back down after getting paid.

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: he'll just lay back down after getting paid.

Aren't we all just prostitutes at some level?
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yup.....sounds like it.....but I've been reading some good stuff about our new oline coach.  

I make it an effort to read or listen to any interviews or pressers that he's a apart of.  Just the entire way that he speaks and carries himself, you can tell that he's very calculated and focused, and he most definitely has a plan.

I really believe that Jerry Jones is going to regret the day he showed Coach Pollack the door.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: No one is buying anything......it's more of a what if scenario.  What if he does become serviceable?  What would that say about Pollack's predecessor and him holding this team back?

The problem I've seen with Ced during his time here is that he still hasn't corrected the mistakes and flaws that were obvious in college. That could be a failing on Alexander's part, Ced struggling to adapt/change...or a combination of both. 

Maybe Pollack can get more out of him, and correct some of the issues that have continued to cause him problems. 
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The problem I've seen with Ced during is time here is that he still hasn't corrected the mistakes and flaws that were obvious in college. That could be a failing on Alexander's part, Ced struggling to adapt/change...or a combination of both. 

Maybe Pollack can get more out of him, and correct some of the issues that have continued to cause him problems. 

Part of why I am skeptical of Ogbuehi turning things around?  Then, after 3 years in the pros, he's still making those same mistakes, at this point they're habits.  What I'm fearful of, is that Pollack can teach him how to do things correctly, but when the going get's tough, he'll simply revert back to what he always done.  It's human nature.

A good coach can work on technique, until he's able to do it blindfolded.  However, the coach cannot instill the "nasty" gene into a man that doesn't already have it.  The urge to physically dominate and control one's opponent seems to be something that certain people are just born with.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:53 PM)Beaker Wrote: Aren't we all just prostitutes at some level?

Well......um......sure. LMAO

(06-07-2018, 12:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I make it an effort to read or listen to any interviews or pressers that he's a apart of.  Just the entire way that he speaks and carries himself, you can tell that he's very calculated and focused, and he most definitely has a plan.

I really believe that Jerry Jones is going to regret the day he showed Coach Pollack the door.

I do as well.  I'm liking what he's preaching, now I just want to see words put into action.  If he turns this unit around in one offseason, Jerry Jones should be ashamed of himself.

(06-07-2018, 12:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The problem I've seen with Ced during is time here is that he still hasn't corrected the mistakes and flaws that were obvious in college. That could be a failing on Alexander's part, Ced struggling to adapt/change...or a combination of both. 

Absolutely.  Those issues and quitting on plays have been his biggest problems.....from what I've read about Pollack, if he quits on plays his ass will be buried on the depth chart.....maybe even sent to the practice squad.

Reply/Quote
It's certainly possible. The potential was undeniable.

But it's off-season and everyone looks good in OTAs. I try and block out the hype train until preseason action. And even then it's cautious optimism.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: File this in the WAY too early to tell category, but is it possible that Og has began to turn things around in the Queen City under Pollack?  I'll believe it when I see it, but if this is indeed the case, just how bad was Piano Man?

Paul Alexander is getting positive Press in Dallas just like Pollack is here.

Alexander was quoted as saying that coaching the Dallas O-line feels like he's gone to heaven.

The Cowboys made it clear to the Press that they wanted a new voice with new ideas and techniques when hiring Alexander.

Cowboys Coach Jason Garrett said of Alexander:  "He’s really an interesting guy because he’s been in one place for a long time, but he’s worked with a lot of different coordinators, So he’s been exposed to a lot of different schemes in football, a lot of different techniques. So he really has a broad range of knowledge about this position. He’s a really, really good teacher.”

* Beauty is in the eye of the beholder here.  Hopefully Dallas gets the short end of this O-line coach swap.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 01:20 PM)depthchart Wrote: Paul Alexander is getting positive Press in Dallas just like Pollack is here.

Alexander was quoted as saying that coaching the Dallas O-line feels like he's gone to heaven.

The Cowboys made it clear to the Press that they wanted a new voice with new ideas and techniques when hiring Alexander.

Cowboys Coach Jason Garrett said of Alexander:  "He’s really an interesting guy because he’s been in one place for a long time, but he’s worked with a lot of different coordinators, So he’s been exposed to a lot of different schemes in football, a lot of different techniques. So he really has a broad range of knowledge about this position. He’s a really, really good teacher.”

* Beauty is in the eye of the beholder here.  Hopefully Dallas gets the short end of this O-line coach swap.

He should, that line is LOADED.

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 01:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: He should, that line is LOADED.

What would the Dallas O-line look like today had Alexander been there for the past two plus decades influencing personnel decisions ?

Heaven ?   Mellow
Reply/Quote
The Cincinnati Bengals, the team of perpetual development. Wasted
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 12:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: File this in the WAY too early to tell category, but is it possible that Og has began to turn things around in the Queen City under Pollack?  I'll believe it when I see it, but if this is indeed the case, just how bad was Piano Man?

I'm sorry but you don't choose to be a girly man, you are born that way.  

Keywords here.... "padless practice"

And anyways who cares. Even if ced actually plays well -- which he won't -- the bengals best not give him a contract offer. He was the high draft pick we needed on the line and he failed miserably.. I know our entire line was trash last year but nobody else was drafted that high. He came out with a demeanor of just getting a paycheck.. no hustle,  no heart, etc.. 

a little bitter he is even on the team still.
Reply/Quote