Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some of it really is just bad luck.
I guess it's difficult to separate 'bad luck' from 'poor management'. You don't see 27+ years or bad luck.

You'd think we would have won 2-3 playoff games by accident over the past 27+ years. Heck, most teams have won 5+ since we last won 1. I think only like 3-4 teams haven't won 5 since then and one was the Texans who were an expansion team.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 09:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: And I've seen the term Edge. Nothing worth arguing about. I simply place Los above Eifert when discussing elite. 

Aside from the stats like sacks, hurries, hits, batted balls, etc.....one thing Los has ALWAYS done, is not give up on plays.  How many times have we seen big 96 trail a play and run down a WR or RB where a DB should be making a tackle.  Carlos does a lot more than the stats show.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Los is elite in any other defense he would have more sacks . Here he plays the run first and contains the edge then rushes the QB
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 10:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I guess it's difficult to separate 'bad luck' from 'poor management'. You don't see 27+ years or bad luck.

You'd think we would have won 2-3 playoff games by accident over the past 27+ years. Heck, most teams have won 5+ since we last won 1. I think only like 3-4 teams haven't won 5 since then and one was the Texans who were an expansion team.

I think it's a bit of both.  Mostly bad management the last 27 years, for sure.  That said, let's look back over the entirety of the franchise.  I won't mention the characters like Henry and Thurman.  

It starts with Greg Cook.  We all know the story, and at least the coaching staff then was creative enough to come up with the Ohio Valley Offense to accommodate Virgil Carter, and later Anderson, but that was a HUGE loss.

David Pollack, Ki-Jana Carter, Palmer's knee, Boomer's shoulder, Krumrie's leg, Stanley Wilson's coke binge, Dalton's thumb, Eifert over and over, the 2014 MASH unit, and a host of others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Between bad management, and some snake bites when the management lucked out, it's a recipe for failure.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 11:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve always been a Dunlap fan, but he’s only had double digit sacks once in 9 years. That’s hardly elite for an edge rusher. And yes, he does a lot of things other than get sacks, like batting passes down, and being generally disruptive, but elite? Idk. I guess you could make a case that he was in 2015, as he finished 4th in sacks. Like Fred said, Eifert really only had one elite season, too.

There's not a single franchise in the league that wouldn't love to have him on their team. That kind of makes a qualifying statement as elite. He's a very good DE period. Right now if he were to be a FA he's be upping his salary significantly even if free agency is about the dumbest measure of a players worth.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Los is not an edge rusher

Dunlap is an edge rusher. The term “edge” simply refers to players who rush the QB from the edge of the defensive line. It makes it a cleaner term for pass rushers instead of differentiating between 3-4 OLBs and 4-3 DEs.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 11:41 AM)Wyche Wrote: It starts with Greg Cook.  We all know the story, and at least the coaching staff then was creative enough to come up with the Ohio Valley Offense to accommodate Virgil Carter, and later Anderson, but that was a HUGE loss.

David Pollack, Ki-Jana Carter, Palmer's knee, Boomer's shoulder, Krumrie's leg, Stanley Wilson's coke binge, Dalton's thumb, Eifert over and over, the 2014 MASH unit, and a host of others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

It reminds me of the Billy Joel song:  "We didn't start the fire" which goes something like this:

"Bagan, Reagan, Palestine, terror on the airlines, homeless vets, Bernard Getz, Dinah Shore, Culture Wars, I can't take it anymore"

"Palmer, Carter, Krumrie's leg, Boomer's shoulder, Coke binge, Dalton hurt his thumb again, Pollack, Eifert on the floor, I can't take it anymore"

I chalk this Post up to being bored at work....
Reply/Quote
Dunlaps rookie season made me think we had a perennial pro bowler. He has played very well and is grossly underated. I have no argument with him being called elite.
Reply/Quote
Has PFF graded any of our players as elite in the last few years? If I had to guess I’d say probably only Geno.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:10 PM)depthchart Wrote: It reminds me of the Billy Joel song:  "We didn't start the fire" which goes something like this:

"Bagan, Reagan, Palestine, terror on the airlines, homeless vets, Bernard Getz, Dinah Shore, Culture Wars, I can't take it anymore"

"Palmer, Carter, Krumrie's leg, Boomer's shoulder, Coke binge, Dalton hurt his thumb again, Pollack, Eifert on the floor, I can't take it anymore"

I chalk this Post up to being bored at work....

LMAO.  Yeah, I'm old enough to remember that tune well.....

Love the new verse. LMAO

Reply/Quote