Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio State/Clemson Refs
It was so obvious these SEC refs wanted Clemson to face LSU because they knew OSU would give them a run for their money. Now where going to be stuck watching LSU win the game by halftime again.

The targeting call was a big joke. Lawrence dropped his head which was the only reason there was any head contact to begin with. Not to mention on the same play Chase Young had his helmet nearly ripped off with no facemask penalty. So instead of OSU getting the ball back up 16-0, Clemson gets a TD. Changed the entire game right there.

On Lawrence's long TD run there was a big time hold not called.

The roughing the kicker should have been running into because they hit the kicking leg and not the plant leg. Stilled would have been 4th down instead of an automatic 1st.

Maybe the worst of all was the catch by Clemson and then fumbled and ran back by OSU for a TD only to be overturned somehow by replay. Last I checked possession and 3 steps is a catch but apparently not in the SEC.

These refs should be fired but we know that won't happen.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah it was pretty bad. But you also can’t kick FGs and leave 12 points on the field.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 02:52 AM)cinci4life Wrote: It was so obvious these SEC refs wanted Clemson to face LSU because they knew OSU would give them a run for their money. Now where going to be stuck watching LSU win the game by halftime again.

The targeting call was a big joke. Lawrence dropped his head which was the only reason there was any head contact to begin with. Not to mention on the same play Chase Young had his helmet nearly ripped off with no facemask penalty. So instead of OSU getting the ball back up 16-0, Clemson gets a TD. Changed the entire game right there.

On Lawrence's long TD run there was a big time hold not called.

The roughing the kicker should have been running into because they hit the kicking leg and not the plant leg. Stilled would have been 4th down instead of an automatic 1st.

Maybe the worst of all was the catch by Clemson and then fumbled and ran back by OSU for a TD only to be overturned somehow by replay. Last I checked possession and 3 steps is a catch but apparently not in the SEC.

These refs should be fired but we know that won't happen.

That targeting call was legit. The roughing the kicker was a bad call. So was the incomplete pass call. However Chase Young was roughing the passer all night and not getting called for it. Also a lot of pass interference not called on OSU. Bottom line OSU offense missed a lot of opportunities to score touchdowns and settled for field goals. Their biggest mistake didn’t even happen this year. Their biggest mistake was passing over Burrow and letting him transfer to LSU.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 08:20 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: That targeting call was legit. The roughing the kicker was a bad call. So was the incomplete pass call. However Chase Young was roughing the passer all night and not getting called for it. Also a lot of pass interference not called on OSU. Bottom line OSU offense missed a lot of opportunities to score touchdowns and settled for field goals. Their biggest mistake didn’t even happen this year. Their biggest mistake was passing over Burrow and letting him transfer to LSU.

Haskins broke just about every Big 10 passing record. Hard to say OSU messed up in playing him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The officials definitely left their mark, on the outcome of that game. No doubt about it.

However, you can't leave points on the field the way Ohio St. did, and expect everything to continue going your way all night. If they convert those red zone drives into TDs? We're looking at a 28-0 lead, in the 1st Qtr, and heading toward an LSU/Okla type of game.

Did the officiating effect the outcome of the game? You betcha.

Should Ohio St. have allowed Clemson to hang around long enough for the officiating to even be a factor? Hell naw..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 12:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The officials definitely left their mark, on the outcome of that game.  No doubt about it.

However, you can't leave points on the field the way Ohio St. did, and expect everything to continue going your way all night.  If they convert those red zone drives into TDs?  We're looking at a 28-0 lead, in the 1st Qtr, and heading toward an LSU/Okla type of game.

Did the officiating effect the outcome of the game?  You betcha.

Should Ohio St. have allowed Clemson to hang around long enough for the officiating to even be a factor?  Hell naw..

I honestly think Ohio State got out-coached when all is said and done.

Refs botched some stuff.  Also didn't make some calls too.

Fields was pretty sloppy with his throws the whole game.

Dobbins getting injured early was a blow and his drops took points off the board earlier too.

The Buckeyes were in the driver's seat at the end of the game.

43 seconds left with 2 timeouts is by no means a state of panic.

Yet they stopped the hurry up offense and then proceeded to swing for the fences.

Not a fan of calling a timeout and then going for the whole enchilada first play after.

That was a bad call regardless of the WR switching route direction and slipping.

There was coverage by Clemson in the endzone.  It would have been a battle for the ball.

Just my two cents.  And congrats to Clemson for good job of hiding their blitzing.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I also want to add that the moving of Chase Young around on the line was effective but not realized until too late.

I surmise that he would have had a much better game(and perhaps previous ones)with more creative usage.
Reply/Quote
The catch that Clemson made which was ruled as such and then a recovered scoop and score TD was ridiculous.

The Ref was standing directly in front of it in real time and called it.

Instant replay only slowed it down and if anything made it obvious that he caught the ball.

Nothing in there to reverse it.

I would argue with anyone that had he made those same exact moves and went out of bounds that it would've been ruled a catch even if the field Ref called it an incomplete.
Reply/Quote
They've always been touchy about targeting especially in bowl or major games.

It's not surprising that he got ejected even if Lawrence had lowered his stance.

The players are expected to tackle upright and lead with their eyes not the crown.

I honestly don't know why OSU was trying to block the kick when they would've not only had the stop but got the ball in great field position.

Somebody's ass should be chewed for that misfire.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 08:20 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: That targeting call was legit.  The roughing the kicker was a bad call. So was the incomplete pass call. However Chase Young was roughing the passer all night and not getting called for it. Also a lot of pass interference not called on OSU. Bottom line OSU offense missed a lot of opportunities to score touchdowns and settled for field goals.  Their biggest mistake didn’t even happen this year. Their biggest mistake was passing over Burrow and letting him transfer to LSU.

Lawrence is 6'6" and Wade is 5'10". The only way Wade makes any contact to the helmet is if Lawrence drops is head. Can't penalize a defender for that kind of situation. Refs have to use their heads but again we are talking about SEC refs so.

As for the bold, how exactly could that be when he had trouble all night getting to the QB in the first place? 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 12:45 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I honestly think Ohio State got out-coached when all is said and done.

Refs botched some stuff.  Also didn't make some calls too.

Fields was pretty sloppy with his throws the whole game.

Dobbins getting injured early was a blow and his drops took points off the board earlier too.

The Buckeyes were in the driver's seat at the end of the game.

43 seconds left with 2 timeouts is by no means a state of panic.

Yet they stopped the hurry up offense and then proceeded to swing for the fences.

Not a fan of calling a timeout and then going for the whole enchilada first play after.

That was a bad call regardless of the WR switching route direction and slipping.

There was coverage by Clemson in the endzone.  It would have been a battle for the ball.

Just my two cents.  And congrats to Clemson for good job of hiding their blitzing.

(12-29-2019, 12:49 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I also want to add that the moving of Chase Young around on the line was effective but not realized until too late.

I surmise that he would have had a much better game(and perhaps previous ones)with more creative usage.

(12-29-2019, 12:55 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The catch that Clemson made which was ruled as such and then a recovered scoop and score TD was ridiculous.

The Ref was standing directly in front of it in real time and called it.

Instant replay only slowed it down and if anything made it obvious that he caught the ball.

Nothing in there to reverse it.

I would argue with anyone that had he made those same exact moves and went out of bounds that it would've been ruled a catch even if the field Ref called it an incomplete.

(12-29-2019, 01:01 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: They've always been touchy about targeting especially in bowl or major games.

It's not surprising that he got ejected even if Lawrence had lowered his stance.

The players are expected to tackle upright and lead with their eyes not the crown.

I honestly don't know why OSU was trying to block the kick when they would've not only had the stop but got the ball in great field position.

Somebody's ass should be chewed for that misfire.

All very excellent points and observations.  I still stand by my previous assertion that the Bucks should have put them away early, and held their foot on the gas for the rest of the night.  Had they converted those FG drives into TDs?  Clemson would have been reeling, and pushing for the "big play", the rest of the night, and questionable calls by the officials wouldn't have even been a factor.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
As mentioned the attempted blocked punt was a terrible coaching decision.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 01:23 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Lawrence is 6'6" and Wade is 5'10". The only way Wade makes any contact to the helmet is if Lawrence drops is head. Can't penalize a defender for that kind of situation. Refs have to use their heads but again we are talking about SEC refs so.

As for the bold, how exactly could that be when he had trouble all night getting to the QB in the first place? 

Young was roughing Lawrence repeatedly AFTER he threw the ball. And never called at all to my recollection. I don’t like the way he reminds me of Burfict and I think drafting him would be a mistake, if he goes out for the draft this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 04:19 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Young was roughing Lawrence repeatedly AFTER he threw the ball. And never called at all to my recollection. I don’t like the way he reminds me of Burfict and I think drafting him would be a mistake, if he goes out for the draft this year.

Are you saying Young is a magician? Can't rough the passer when you can't get to him. 
Reply/Quote
I gotta say that when refs are making blatant really bad calls calls for one team or the other the team on the losing end have a lot of reasons to no longer care about the final outcome if they feel the game is then rigged. At least that's likely how I'd feel. If you're in a game the refs are going to decide instead of the actual plays deciding the outcome it would be tough to give a crap either way.
Of course a lot of arguments can be made they they should keep playing hard in either case, but in people's minds that stuff is really tough to overcome.
This nonsense of even allowing refs to determine outcomes needs to stop, but of course it won't.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote