Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio State Haskins will be Great NFL QB
Not sure what year he is in draft. Sometimes it easy to see. John Elway was easy to see in college. Joe Montana was easy to see. Dan Marino was easy to see. Peyton Manning was easy to see. Drew Brees was easy to see. Haskins is easy to see. With his size, great arm, mobility, we can compare him to a Big Ben. Dalton was a great #2 draft pick. He led Bengals to 5 straight play-off seasons. He probably is right behind Anderson and Boomer in Bengals history and ahead of Carson. Still, when you get a chance to draft a QB like Elway, Montana, Marino, Manning, Brees, you just do it. Haskins is going to dominate in the NFL, so he might as well do it for the Bengals. The lousy Bengals are in need of rebuilding, and you can hitch the wagon to this star. Haskins will be the type of QB Paul Brown had in Cleveland with Otto Graham. If Bengals are thinking Super Bowl, think Haskins. Plus, you don't want this guy to go to Steelers, replace Big Ben and beat Bengals brains in next 10 to 15 years.

I would draft Haskins and for salary cap trade Dalton. Dalton will never have the throwing arm Haskins has. Dalton makes the most of what he's got, I give him that. Haskins can just throw longer with a better arm. The announcers see this and are amazed by him. Again, he is big and tall like a Big Ben and can move and is hard to tackle like a Big Ben. You don't want him to be Cam Newton, you want his great arm, but he can run for yards when needed. This big guy is going to be hard to tackle and he broke Drew Brees and Peyton Mannings passing records, the man can throw. Dalton struggles to go deep, Haskins makes going deep look easy.

Haskins has all the tools to win Super Bowls and go Hall Of Fame. You don't say we need a linebacker or safety. This is the type QB that you take all the other picks off the table. If you have to trade up to get him, you do. Then you sit back and watch what Bengals look like with a Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Brett Favre at QB, as we have an offense putting up a lot of points.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
He’ll be off the board before we pick. Raiders will take him.
Reply/Quote
No such thing as a sure thing unless it's owned by the Brown family and then it's an absolute lock that Haskins would have bust written all over him until he left in free agency.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 07:36 AM)kevin Wrote: Not sure what year he is in draft.  Sometimes it easy to see.  John Elway was easy to see in college.  Joe Montana was easy to see.  Dan Marino was easy to see.  Peyton Manning was easy to see.  Drew Brees was easy to see.  Haskins is easy to see.  With his size, great arm, mobility, we can compare him to a Big Ben.  Dalton was a great #2 draft pick. He led Bengals to 5 straight play-off seasons. He probably is right behind Anderson and Boomer in Bengals history and ahead of Carson.  Still, when you get a chance to draft a QB like Elway, Montana, Marino, Manning, Brees, you just do it.   Haskins is going to dominate in the NFL, so he might as well do it for the Bengals.  The lousy Bengals are in need of rebuilding, and you can hitch the wagon to this star. Haskins will be the type of QB Paul Brown had in Cleveland with Otto Graham.  If Bengals are thinking Super Bowl, think Haskins.  Plus, you don't want this guy to go to Steelers, replace Big Ben and beat Bengals brains in next 10 to 15 years.

I would draft Haskins and for salary cap trade Dalton.  Dalton will never have the throwing arm Haskins has.  Dalton makes the most of what he's got, I give him that.  Haskins can just throw longer with  a better arm.  The announcers see this and are amazed by him.  Again, he is big and tall like a Big Ben and can move and is hard to tackle like a Big Ben. You don't want him to be Cam Newton, you want his great arm, but he can run for yards when needed. This big guy is going to be hard to tackle and he broke Drew Brees and Peyton Mannings passing records, the man can throw. Dalton struggles to go deep, Haskins makes going deep look easy.

Haskins has all the tools to win Super Bowls and go Hall Of Fame.  You don't say we need a linebacker or safety.  This is the type QB that you take all the other picks off the table. If you have to trade up to get him, you do.  Then you sit back and watch what Bengals look like with a Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Brett Favre at QB, as we have an offense putting up a lot of points.

You don't even have to trade Dalton for salary cap purposes, you can just cut him. He only has two more years under contract and no dead money remaining. But I get wanting to get SOMETHING for him besides just the cap space.

I too like what Haskins offers, which is saying a lot because I've been very hard on OSU QBs given they always seem to be runner more than passers. I think Haskins might return for another year though given he's only been a starter for one year and missed out on the CFB playoffs. Right now, I think he's at best an early second-round pick. Another year could bump him into first round. But I personally don't like to consider someone a first round pick with just one year of production, so I definitely could be wrong on that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Saw this for him on CBS:

Strengths: Well beyond his years with quickness through progressions and ability to read the entire field. Strong arm. Repeatedly climbs into the pocket after getting the top of his drop. Good accuracy to all levels of the field. Decently mobile but wants to distribute the football from inside the pocket.

I like that he can go through progressions quickly.
Reply/Quote
I believe Haskins is going to be the exception to Ohio St. QB's NFL wise. But I think he needs another season to fully develop.
Reply/Quote
When was the last time an OSU QB turned out to be a big deal in the NFL?

It feels like we went through this song and dance before with the last 4 or 5 QBs to come out of that school, and where are they now? They either changed positions at the pro level (to varying success), or they are perennial backups.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 10:20 AM)Big Boss Wrote: When was the last time an OSU QB turned out to be a big deal in the NFL?

It feels like we went through this song and dance before with the last 4 or 5 QBs to come out of that school, and where are they now?  They either changed positions at the pro level (to varying success), or they are perennial backups.

The only one of relevance NFL-wise was Cardale Jones, and he's still sitting as a backup on his second team in three years.
However, I like Haskins more than Jones, Barrett, Miller, and Pryor when it comes to NFL-style QB.
Pryor and Miller had to be converted to WR and Barrett is sitting on New Orleans' practice squad.
I think the lack of Ohio State QB success in the NFL is also why I'd like to see Haskins play another year. I just don't trust them to make good NFL QBs. But Haskins has the best skill set of all of them to do so.

If he does enter the draft, would the Bengals possibly take him (even in the first round) with the thought of benching him for his first year to learn behind Dalton?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 11:45 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The only one of relevance NFL-wise was Cardale Jones, and he's still sitting as a backup on his second team in three years.
However, I like Haskins more than Jones, Barrett, Miller, and Pryor when it comes to NFL-style QB.
Pryor and Miller had to be converted to WR and Barrett is sitting on New Orleans' practice squad.
I think the lack of Ohio State QB success in the NFL is also why I'd like to see Haskins play another year. I just don't trust them to make good NFL QBs. But Haskins has the best skill set of all of them to do so.

If he does enter the draft, would the Bengals possibly take him (even in the first round) with the thought of benching him for his first year to learn behind Dalton?

Agree,

Haskins is leaps and bounds ahead of any of the others pure pocket passer NFL style QB wise. Good arm, accurate, can throw a receiver open, on and on. He did get a spell of happy feet and feeling pressure in the middle of the season. There was a bit to much indecisiveness in his game then. He needs another year to get rid of that.

His passing stats are well ahead of Murray and Tagovailoa.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 11:59 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

Haskins is leaps and bounds ahead of any of the others pure pocket passer NFL style QB wise. Good arm, accurate, can throw a receiver open, on and on. He did get a spell of happy feet and feeling pressure in the middle of the season. There was a bit to much indecisiveness in his game then. He needs another year to get rid of that.

His passing stats are well ahead of Murray and Tagovailoa.

I don't see Murray being a QB in the NFL given he's only 5'10". He's strictly a college QB.
As for Tua, he's only 6'1" but other QBs have made it work. I also don't see Alabama having much success with QBs in the NFL so I'm not expecting Tua to become some elite NFL QB.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 12:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't see Murray being a QB in the NFL given he's only 5'10". He's strictly a college QB.
As for Tua, he's only 6'1" but other QBs have made it work. I also don't see Alabama having much success with QBs in the NFL so I'm not expecting Tua to become some elite NFL QB.

Agree,

Tua is a textbook case of being elevated by his team. Murray's game probably doesn't translate well.

Haskins looks to really have it, just needs a bit more seasoning.
Reply/Quote
Raiders, jags and giants sit ahead of us in the draft and all three need a qb. So I really see no point in discussing this kid. He won’t be on the board when we get up.

Some will argue the raiders may or may not be in the market for qb but either way the giants and jags most certainly are. So who do we like assuming the 2 best options are gone already?
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 02:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You don't even have to trade Dalton for salary cap purposes, you can just cut him. He only has two more years under contract and no dead money remaining. But I get wanting to get SOMETHING for him besides just the cap space.

I too like what Haskins offers, which is saying a lot because I've been very hard on OSU QBs given they always seem to be runner more than passers. I think Haskins might return for another year though given he's only been a starter for one year and missed out on the CFB playoffs. Right now, I think he's at best an early second-round pick. Another year could bump him into first round. But I personally don't like to consider someone a first round pick with just one year of production, so I definitely could be wrong on that.
He's a top 10 lock . Possibly #1 overall. To break the records that he has broke in a conference that had Brees and Brady while playing in a scheme that dosent fit u at all shows his talent. He's going to come out provided he dominates another top tier defense and will be a top 5 talent.
(12-04-2018, 10:20 AM)Big Boss Wrote: When was the last time an OSU QB turned out to be a big deal in the NFL?

It feels like we went through this song and dance before with the last 4 or 5 QBs to come out of that school, and where are they now? They either changed positions at the pro level (to varying success), or they are perennial backups.
Greatest qb to ever come out of Ohio State.
(12-04-2018, 01:27 PM)motoarch Wrote: Raiders, jags and giants sit ahead of us in the draft and all three need a qb. So I really see no point in discussing this kid. He won’t be on the board when we get up.

Some will argue the raiders may or may not be in the market for qb but either way the giants and jags most certainly are. So who do we like assuming the 2 best options are gone already?
Giants reportedly wanna give Manning 1 more year and the team feels that the qb from richmond(name. Escapes me) could be the next big thing. As for the jags they can't really afford a top 5-7 qb. I think they go will Grier rd2.
Reply/Quote
Haskins isn't a fit for the Raiders offense. Look at Daniel Jones from Duke with the Raiders 2nd or 3rd 1st round pick as a possible perfect fit for Grudens West Coast Offense. I don't think the Jags take him because Coughlin is old school and he doesn't check off the Parcell's starting QB requirements, I think they go with someone like Justin Herbert (I am down on Herbert though). To me the place Haskins fits best, and where I think he will go, is NYG. He has the ability to get the ball downfield to OBJ but has the touch to put the ball out in front of Barkley out of the backfield and make him a true threat in the passing game.

To the Murray discussion, someone will take him in the 1st if he tells teams he is willing to play football. He has Russel Wilson like escape-ability and what he does really well is keeps his eyes down field running to set up the throw when LB's close down on him to prevent him taking off. The whole height thing really is less important today in evaluations than it used to be, so don't get too hung up on his height.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 07:36 AM)kevin Wrote: Not sure what year he is in draft.  Sometimes it easy to see.  John Elway was easy to see in college.  Joe Montana was easy to see.  Dan Marino was easy to see.  Peyton Manning was easy to see.  Drew Brees was easy to see.  Haskins is easy to see.  With his size, great arm, mobility, we can compare him to a Big Ben.  Dalton was a great #2 draft pick. He led Bengals to 5 straight play-off seasons. He probably is right behind Anderson and Boomer in Bengals history and ahead of Carson.  Still, when you get a chance to draft a QB like Elway, Montana, Marino, Manning, Brees, you just do it.   Haskins is going to dominate in the NFL, so he might as well do it for the Bengals.  The lousy Bengals are in need of rebuilding, and you can hitch the wagon to this star. Haskins will be the type of QB Paul Brown had in Cleveland with Otto Graham.  If Bengals are thinking Super Bowl, think Haskins.  Plus, you don't want this guy to go to Steelers, replace Big Ben and beat Bengals brains in next 10 to 15 years.

I would draft Haskins and for salary cap trade Dalton.  Dalton will never have the throwing arm Haskins has.  Dalton makes the most of what he's got, I give him that.  Haskins can just throw longer with  a better arm.  The announcers see this and are amazed by him.  Again, he is big and tall like a Big Ben and can move and is hard to tackle like a Big Ben. You don't want him to be Cam Newton, you want his great arm, but he can run for yards when needed. This big guy is going to be hard to tackle and he broke Drew Brees and Peyton Mannings passing records, the man can throw. Dalton struggles to go deep, Haskins makes going deep look easy.

Haskins has all the tools to win Super Bowls and go Hall Of Fame.  You don't say we need a linebacker or safety.  This is the type QB that you take all the other picks off the table. If you have to trade up to get him, you do.  Then you sit back and watch what Bengals look like with a Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Brett Favre at QB, as we have an offense putting up a lot of points.

Yea I think Haskins is a "can't miss" guy. However I don't think hes a guy you take and throw out there Day 1, he needs to sit a year behind a vet and learn a little.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 10:20 AM)Big Boss Wrote: When was the last time an OSU QB turned out to be a big deal in the NFL?

It feels like we went through this song and dance before with the last 4 or 5 QBs to come out of that school, and where are they now?  They either changed positions at the pro level (to varying success), or they are perennial backups.

Meh no one was doing this for JT Barrett or Terrel Pryor, and everyone said that Cardale needed another year. So i dont know where youre getting that from. Haskins is a little more polished then Cardale but could benefit from staying another year in school. I personally think Cardales career could take off provided he gets a shot at starting somewhere. I was kind of hoping we could have picked him up as a free agent when Dalton went down.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Haskins is the best QB I have witnessed at OSU....ever. He really does have it all. Arm strength, can make everything throw in the playbook, but most importantly he has poise and raises his game in the biggest of games. I would love to see the Bengals draft him, unfortunately I think his stock will rise and will be picked before its Cincy's turn. If the front office was not inept, they could trade up to get him, but we all know better don't we. I think this front office wont take even if he is there when they pick, which ticks me off even more.
Reply/Quote
My concern with Haskins is he becomes rattled when pressured. He would get killed behind the Bengals porous O-Line. But he has an elite arm and makes it look effortless. I would take him and let him sit a year and fix the O-Line. The team needs at least OT and Guard. Price may work out. They also need 2 backers and TE. It is doable but it depends where the Bengals draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 06:46 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: My concern with Haskins is he becomes rattled when pressured.  He would get killed behind the Bengals porous O-Line.  But he has an elite arm and makes it look effortless.  I would take him and let him sit a year and fix the O-Line.  The team needs at least OT and Guard.  Price may work out.  They also need 2 backers and TE.  It is doable but it depends where the Bengals draft.

This is a bad QB class, so in that sense, it makes sense for Haskins to come out so he can get the best rookie contract possible.  However, for his long term development, he needs at least another year at the college level.  He lacks game experience, and riding the pine for a year or two won't fix that, but if he comes in as a rookie and gets shellshocked, he's ruined.

You see him make some great pro type throws, but then you see guys having to completely stop and wait on the ball or make circus catches.  Some underthrows on posts and flags in the end zone turn easy pitch and catches into contested catches after his receiver makes a tough adjustment.  It really feels to me like the talent around him is elevating him more than he is elevating the talent around him a lot of the time.  I would personally want to see at least one more year out of him given that other OSU QB's came out strong then fell to earth.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 01:06 AM)Whatever Wrote: This is a bad QB class, so in that sense, it makes sense for Haskins to come out so he can get the best rookie contract possible.  However, for his long term development, he needs at least another year at the college level.  He lacks game experience, and riding the pine for a year or two won't fix that, but if he comes in as a rookie and gets shellshocked, he's ruined.

You see him make some great pro type throws, but then you see guys having to completely stop and wait on the ball or make circus catches.  Some underthrows on posts and flags in the end zone turn easy pitch and catches into contested catches after his receiver makes a tough adjustment.  It really feels to me like the talent around him is elevating him more than he is elevating the talent around him a lot of the time.  I would personally want to see at least one more year out of him given that other OSU QB's came out strong then fell to earth.

I agree that he needs another year in college.  But I could see him going in the top 10 next draft.  Hard to pass up on the money.  But he is not NFL ready in terms of pocket awareness.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote